Shannons (any spelling variation) to America Early 1700s

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Shannons (any spelling variation) to America Early 1700s

Postby RLShannon » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:34 pm

In searching this forum and reading other material, I see that there were various migrations to America from Southend and the Isle of Arran, most of them occurring after the late 1700s and onward.

Does anyone know of any family or group of families that left from Southend or the Isle of Arran in the early 1700s, perhaps around 1730? I am trying to find a John Shannon--that name could be incorrect--whose child (also John Shannon) was born in Maryland in the 1754/55 time frame. We believe John Sr. was born on the Isle of Arran about 1720.

I would be interested in knowing any families who migrated, because it is possible that our John II was orphaned and took on the name of Shannon because of close relationships to other Shannons in the area where he was raised. Our DNA seems to more closely match McMillans (also any spelling variation), but we don't have a definitive match to any family that I have found as yet.

Also, I know of one person who is descended from a Kintyre line of McShannons who participated in DNA testing and provided me with the results. Do you know if there are any others who have participated in DNA testing?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Best,
Rebecca Shannon
Washington, D.C.
RLShannon
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy