Bannatyne

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Bannatyne

Postby Mturnart » Tue May 25, 2010 10:53 pm

My Great Grandmother was Elizabeth Bannatyne from Cambeltown. I think she had a sister called Bella Bannatyne. Bella Bannatyne, I think was a spinster and a businesswoman with connections to the spirit trade.
My mother talked about many happy holidays spent at one of Bella's properties called Rockieburn Cottage. This is not the modern property of this name down the Kilkerran Road, but was its predecessor.
Has anyone any information about this?
Mturnart
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: Bannatyne

Postby Iain » Wed May 26, 2010 2:29 pm

Hi Mturnat ! Perhaps if you give her DOB and husband's name, someone might be able to look it up for you.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Mturnart » Wed May 26, 2010 11:17 pm

Sorry for giving little information but I do not know much.
I have tried looking the family up on Scotland's People with no results. I think Elizabeth Bannatyne married Alexander Watson who owned The City Warehouse in Back Street in 1873. He was 27 and she was 26. This City Warehouse building became The Co-op and I gather it is now demolished. Her father was Donald/Dugald Bannatyne and he was an Inn Keeper. The Inn was in Main Street. Her mother, Susan Keith was deceased when she married Alexander; known as Sandy;

I can find no trace of where Elizabeth and her family came from prior to being in Campbeltown or where she was born. I am aware that there were lots of Bannatynes who were Blacksmiths all down the Kintyre peninsula but I think this family is not of that ilk.
Mturnart
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby EMDEE » Thu May 27, 2010 12:40 am

Mturnart wrote: This City Warehouse building became The Co-op and I gather it is now demolished.

Is this not the City Warehouse here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=55 ... 33.63,,0,5

:?
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mturnart » Thu May 27, 2010 7:38 pm

TheCity Warehouse that my family ran as a Drapers business was in Back Street. My Great Grandfather died in 1900 and his widow, Elizabeth Bannatyne died in 1915. In the 1950's the building as far as my memory goes was the Co-op. I recall as a very young girl seeing the building painted brown and cream and the Co-op name written on the headboard. Perhaps the Co-op moved elsewhere later prior to going to their present site.
Mturnart
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby EMDEE » Thu May 27, 2010 10:06 pm

This is in fact the same building. I too remember it as you describe. It was the Co-op furniture department at that time, and later (1970s) became the Co-op off-sales department up until the closure of the then supermarket across the road at Mafeking Place and the move to the present site.

There may be a bit of confusion here in the name of the Street. This building is in Union Street, which in the 19th Century was known as Back Street.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mturnart » Sun May 30, 2010 1:35 pm

EMDEE wrote:This is in fact the same building. I too remember it as you describe. It was the Co-op furniture department at that time, and later (1970s) became the Co-op off-sales department up until the closure of the then supermarket across the road at Mafeking Place and the move to the present site.

There may be a bit of confusion here in the name of the Street. This building is in Union Street, which in the 19th Century was known as Back Street.

Many thanks for clearing that fact up for me as I have been looking for Back Street in the map of the town and failed to find it. I live some 2 hundred plus miles from Campbeltown and am not aware of changes that take place with only visiting from time to time. The other street were family members lived is Kirk Street. I am still trying to trace an Inn that Donald Bannatyne was In Keeper of. He was my great great Grandfather and was originally from Saddell. The Inn was probably in Union or Main Street.
Mturnart
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Mturnart » Sun May 30, 2010 1:53 pm

Iain wrote:Hi Mturnat ! Perhaps if you give her DOB and husband's name, someone might be able to look it up for you.

Thanks, I know that already. My post was probably not that clear, but I am looking for Isabella, known as Bella Bannatyne who was a spinster and was renowned as a fierce business woman in the town. According to what has been verbally said to me by older family members, she owned several liscensed properties in the Campbeltown and became quite wealthyas she was an astute businesswoman. At the time, I assume she astonded some of the very respectable ladies in the town as she competed with the men. I would like to find out more about her. I can find no trace of a birth record, nor can I find any trace of my Great Grand mother's birth. According to the census she was born in Saddell. I have found a birth record for a younger sister Rose in 1847 in Saddell and Skipness. According to my mother Bella died about 1919. My mum, who is now deceased was very young but she recalled going to Campbeltown from Glasgow to the funeral with her mother, Susan Watson, and was Bella's niece.
Mturnart
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Iain » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:59 pm

Mturnart…, Hi !

I'm on this forum because one on the Administrators "encouraged" me to join the KF from another site. As such…, I suppose they will not be too angry if I give you this advice.

Join RootsChat… http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php With all the information you already have, these experts will take pleasure in helping you out. And for free ! All you have to do is thank them !

After that… send me a private message and I'll give you more advice.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Kintyre Genealogy