The Film Premiere of "The Road to Drumleman"

Once the event has passed we will move your thread in here where the thread can still be read and members can still post.

Re: The Film Premiere of "The Road to Drumleman"

Postby knock » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:18 pm

Where can you buy the DVD? Is sold locally?
knock
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Mary G » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:32 pm

Delighted that this has been so successful - great review TYM. Sounds like a treasure.

For those in striking distance of Coatbridge, see it on Tuesday:

http://www.deepfriedfilm.org.uk/tue2.htm

Conforti Institute, Calder Avenue,Coatbridge, ML5 4JS
Doors open 18:00
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby kirk » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:46 pm

Got the song on a CD by Ossian (1994 Iona Records ), a division of Lismor Recordings, 27 - 29 Carnoustie Place, Scotland Street, Glasgow G5 8PH. ref. IRCD 023... brill!
kirk
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby nimps » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:44 pm

What an amazing response on Friday to the "Road to Drumleman" and many thanks to those who came to see the film (which far exceeded our expectations) and sorry for those who queued up and didn't get in - the second house was a last minute decision to try and cope with the overspill.

I have received so many messages from people who were touched by the film - I suspect it's timing as much as anything as I know that the number of men from the generation who worked at the colliery is shrinking and many of us, like myself, have lost a Dad, a Granpa or Uncle who worked there and want to keep the memory of what the colliery meant to us, as families and as a community, alive, both out of respect for our parents and so that the grandchildren will be able to put their community into some kind of context.

Seeing everyone on Friday night reminded me of the Campbeltown that I grew up in! Just lovely! Good to know the heart of the place hasn't changed.

Folks are asking about DVDs - all the copies we made were sold on Friday so have arranged for more to be duplicated this week. So anyone who wants a copy can order one by emailing me.
jan@greengold.org.uk

There will be an additional screening in autumn at Machrihanish Village Hall but no dates yet as I have to speak to the Laggan Community Council about dates.

Meantime the film goes to Deep Fried Film Festival tomorrow (3rd Aug) and I'll be sussing out other screenings at festivals. If anyone has any ideas for screenings in Kintyre let me know!

Thanks again to everyone who has supported this project in some way and to everyone who has taken an interest.
nimps
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Ags » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:42 pm

kirk wrote:Got the song on a CD by Ossian (1994 Iona Records ), a division of Lismor Recordings, 27 - 29 Carnoustie Place, Scotland Street, Glasgow G5 8PH. ref. IRCD 023... brill!

Ossian recorded the song to a different tune - it was a really good recording though. Anne Lorne Gillies also recorded the song to the same tune used by Ossian but then visited Willie Mitchell at home to hear him singing the song in its original form.
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bill » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:09 pm

Have not long finished watching our dvd copy received in this morning's post.What an enjoyable 50 minutes it was.Catherine and I enjoyed it immensely.One of the ex miners interviewed is a cousin of Catherine's ,and one of the miners photographed an uncle of mine.The camaraderie of the miners made a dirty and dangerous job all the more bearable.
It was great to see the film clips of the town as it was in our childhood.The memories came flooding back seeing the coal lorries tipping their load into the chute down the quay.Many's the time we would swing on a rope attached to the chute.

As I have mentioned previously on the forum,I went down the pit as a schoolboy of 14? which would have been 1962.It was an organised school trip,and I well remember vowing that would be the first and last time.Of course I wasn't to know that the pit would be in the throes of closure when my school leaving came around.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:19 pm

bill wrote:Of course I wasn't to know that the pit would be in the throes of closure when my school leaving came around.

Oh the irony, the irony! :roll:
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:57 pm

I know this is an older post but just wanted to say that I have now seen the dvd myself and it really is something else. The folk on here who have a relative on the film must be immensely moved by it. What a wonderful record for future generations to have. I really wanted to watch it after TYM's earlier informative post and really glad I have now.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Archived events