The Film Premiere of "The Road to Drumleman"

Once the event has passed we will move your thread in here where the thread can still be read and members can still post.

The Road to Drumleman: Memories of an Argyll Colliery

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:11 pm

Think something about this was posted a while back but can't find it. Certainly worth highlighting again. Is anyone one here going?

The Road to Drumleman: Memories of an Argyll Colliery

Jan Nimmo's new film, The Road to Drumleman: Memories of an Argyll Colliery, will premiere at the Picture House on Friday, 30th July at 8pm. The Road to Drumleman tells the story of Kintyre’s last coal mine, The Argyll Colliery (1947–1967). Almost no physical traces of the mine remain and now it is hard to imagine that the well run mine thrived just behind spectacular Machrihanish Bay.

When artist, Jan Nimmo’s father and former Argyll Colliery shot firer, Neil Nimmo, died, Jan realised that there was an urgency to gather the stories of the remaining miners. Through their personal narrative the film gives an insight into working life, its hardships and camaraderie. The stories span the life of the mine and pay tribute to all of the men who worked invisibly beneath the wild and unspoilt shores of western Kintyre.

In January 2007 Jan’s father Neil Nimmo died. Six months later his twin brother Ramsay died. Both had left school at 11 to work on local farms and then as young men worked at the Argyll Colliery. The Nimmos and their mother’s family, the Browns, came from generations of miners. After the death of the twins Jan realised that time was running out to gather the testimonies of the men who had worked at the Colliery and record at first hand what had been an important social and economic part of South Kintyre’s popular history. The project stands as a tribute to Jan’s father, his family and also to the broader mining community in South Kintyre.

Tickets are available at the door (no pre-booking through cinema) and doors open at 7.30pm. Seating will be in the stalls only as the balcony is being used for projection equipment.
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

The Film Premiere of "The Road to Drumleman"

Postby nimps » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:22 pm

The film premiere of "The Road to Drumleman: Memories of the Argyll Colliery", a new film by Jan Nimmo, will take place at The Picture House, 26 Hall St, Campbeltown on Friday 30th July 2010 at 8pm (doors open 7.30pm - downstairs seating only). Admission £3.00

Thee will also be a community screening in the Laggan area in the near future - for more info contact jan@greengold.org.uk

About the film:

The Road to Drumleman tells the story of Kintyre’s last coal mine, The Argyll Colliery (1947–1967). Almost no physical traces of the mine remain and now it hard to imagine that the well run mine thrived just behind spectacular Machrihanish Bay.
When artist, Jan Nimmo’s father and former Argyll Colliery shot firer, Neil Nimmo, died, Jan realised that there was an urgency to gather the stories of the remaining miners and so though their personal narrative the film gives an insight into working life; its hardships and camaraderie. The stories span the life of the mine and pay tribute to all of the men who worked invisibly beneath the wild and unspoilt shores of western Kintyre.
nimps
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: The Film Premiere of "The Road to Drumleman"

Postby jdcarra » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:27 am

What is the seating capacity downstairs? Are seats bookable in advance?

Just do not want to drive down and find the place full .
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:25 am

jdcarra wrote:What is the seating capacity downstairs? Are seats bookable in advance?

I wondered the same thing JD.
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby nimps » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:44 am

Hi
Downstairs capacity is 179 (upstairs is out of bounds as the film is digital so there has to be a projector set up on the balcony so there is a health and safety issue with cables etc). I've asked the Picture House about bookings but they told me that they can't take them. There does seem to be a lot of interest locally but not sure that it'll be a sell out!
nimps
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby jdcarra » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:56 am

Kintyre Forum News wrote:
jdcarra wrote:What is the seating capacity downstairs? Are seats bookable in advance?

I wondered the same thing JD.

nimps wrote:Hi
Downstairs capacity is 179 (upstairs is out of bounds as the film is digital so there has to be a projector set up on the balcony so there is a health and safety issue with cables etc). I've asked the Picture House about bookings but they told me that they can't take them. There does seem to be a lot of interest locally but not sure that it'll be a sell out!

Just need to start queuing up tomorrow :wink: .

Cheers "nimps", looking forward to seeing it as like many others :) .

jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby nimps » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Hope it lives up to everyones expectations! - have done my best!
nimps
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby D.H » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:37 am

nimps wrote:Hi
I've asked the Picture House about bookings but they told me that they can't take them. There does seem to be a lot of interest locally but not sure that it'll be a sell out!

Sorry to hear that you couldn't get your tickets sold in advance. That doesn't seem very helpful for people traveling a distance. I am up the road tomorrow but I hope it goes really well.
D.H
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:55 pm

Can you advise how it went. Would be keen to hear.

Also, will it be available on DVD for those of us who can't make it? I'd be very interested in buying a copy.
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Isa » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:18 pm

Hi Sheik, thoroughly enjoyable. Queue all the way back almost to the Christian Institute. Not everyone got in but they are having another viewing tonight.

A real snapshot of history. I'm sure someone will come on and explain it better than I can.

Bought the DVD and looking forward to watching it again.

Isa
Isa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:56 pm

Isa wrote:Hi Sheik, thoroughly enjoyable. Queue all the way back almost to the Christian Institute. Not everyone got in but they are having another viewing tonight.

When was the second showing? I had one look at the queue and didn't bother because I thought I wouldn't get in. That was at 7.10pm

Good to hear there is a DVD - I would also like to get a copy.

Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Isa » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:28 pm

It was announced when they realised all the seats were taken. There were some folk outside waiting when we left so I assume there was another showing. They may have some DVD's in The Picture House? Did I read somewhere that there is to be a showing in Machrihanish at some point?
Isa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jdcarra » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:05 pm

I should have missed out on that bar meal in the Argyll. I was one of the unlucky ones to be within 10ft of the doors when Russell and Jan came out to annouce full house with another hundred people behind me.
Good news was they were doing another showing at 9.30pm but could not wait for that.DVD's were plentyfull and being bought by many.Jan was really taken aback with the response of the public.
I think a further showing is planned for the Laggan/Machrihanish,were i do not know.

jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby TYM » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:46 pm

I thought the film was excellent and my congratulations to Jan. The years of effort, worry and patience were well worth it.

For a 50 minute film, it managed to pack so much in and had so many contrasts. It had its light-hearted moments in the tales on the miners but also its sad moments with the tragedies of the lost lives. It contrasted the beauty of The Laggan with the grim working conditions of the mine. It put together a historical record but with the human face to it that brought it to life. It had the beautiful soundtrack of Agnes Stewart singing "The Road to Drumleman". However, my abiding memory of the film will be the general camaraderie of the men who worked there and the genuine human kindness that existed then and I believe, still exists, in this area today.

One final thought. I don't remember taking my Dad to the Pictures before and I don't remember the last time he took me, so thanks again Jan!
TYM
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: The Road to Drumleman: Memories of an Argyll Colliery

Postby Ags » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:35 pm

We didn't manage to the cinema last night though I hear it was such a sell out there was a second showing! We watched the film on dvd last night and well done Jan!! Fantastic job and a wonderful insight to Machrihanish for our children of tomorrow, especially if we end up with 105 wind turbines in the bay!! Great to see some of the old characters we miss so dearly and of course to hear the words of the wonderful "Road to Drumleman".
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Next

Return to Archived events