Southend Highland Games - now with results and photos

Do you or your organisation have an event in Kintyre coming up? Then why not post information on ANY local event here? Kintyre Forum members can discuss and keep up to date on the latest information.

Southend Highland Games - now with results and photos

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:14 am

This year's event takes place on Saturday 24th July at 6.00pm, in the Southend playing field.

All the usual children's and adult track and field events, and, for the first time ever, a Ladies Mile event.

Highland dancing and piping competitions.

KINTYRE SCHOOLS NOVICE PIPE BAND will be playing.

Lots of new attractions and stalls this year.
Including Beat the Goalie with Argyll Select keeper Scott McBrayne, balloon tying, kite making (and flying if conditions are right!), horse and cart rides, bouncy castle cube and inflatable slide/chute....and many more.

There is still room for a few more stall holders, please contact John Galbraith 01586 830235, or PM me! :wink:
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Southend Highland Games

Postby Pans Lass » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:16 pm

4th Gen I am hoping to get a few of the JS girls to take part in the MILE event , have been passing the word around . Unfortunately I would have been there myself as it would be a good one to try but will be away on holiday now :(

its a great family evening out folks so get yourself along to Southen Highland games a week on Saturday . :D
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:04 pm

4th gen Suthen' wrote:This year's event takes place on Saturday 24th July at 6.00pm, in the Southend playing field.

All the usual children's and adult track and field events, and, for the first time ever, a Ladies Mile event.

Highland dancing and piping competitions.

KINTYRE SCHOOLS NOVICE PIPE BAND will be playing.

Lots of new attractions and stalls this year.
Including Beat the Goalie with Argyll Select keeper Scott McBrayne, balloon tying, kite making (and flying if conditions are right!), horse and cart rides, bouncy castle cube and inflatable slide/chute....and many more.

There is still room for a few more stall holders, please contact John Galbraith 01586 830235, or PM me! :wink:

Just to bump this along and remind everyone that the Southend Highland Games are on this Saturday.
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby JAFFA » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:45 pm

Due to a change in circumstances, myself and the whole family will be attending and really looking forward to it. Setting off around 22.00 tonight. See you all there :)

kind regards Jeff
JAFFA
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:52 pm

great Jaffa! great news.
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby maganru » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:29 am

Looking forward to reading a report of the games, John, and hearing if there was anyone special in the bar afterwards!
mos
maganru
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Ninja Mania » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:40 am

4th Gen will post all results on here, i'm sure.
I can set the ball rolling by telling you that, one of the forum member's (Kintyre84) smashed the games record for the women broom throwing competition, with a throw of over 82ft.
It was good to wake up this morning with a record breaker beside me. lol
Congratulations Kintyre84, that was an amazing throw.
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:48 pm

Is there a LIKE button on The Kintyre Forum? can't find it! instead :D well done MJ.
yer own personal brooom....swept in on it at 6.48
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Southend Highland Games

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:37 pm

Results as follows - some photos below

Hammer 1st John McLeod, 2nd Peter Hart, 3rd Scott Clark

Shot Putt 1st John McLeod, 2nd Scott Clark, 3rd Alastair Glen

100 Yards 1st Mathew Turner 2nd Gary Turner 3rd Alastair McConnachie

220 yards 1st Mathew Turner, 2nd Gary Turner, 3rd Craig Lamont

Ladies Broom thowing 1st Moyra Jane Paterson, 2nd Petra Sithole 3rd Jennifer Cameron

440 yards Race 1st Mathew Turner, 2nd Gary Turner, 3rd Craig Lamont

High Jump 1st Craig Lamont, 2nd Alan Glen

Half Mile Race 1st Mathew Turner, 2nd Gary Turner, 3rd Craig Lamont.

Weight Over Bar 1st Peter Hart, 2nd= Scott Clark & john McLeod

220 yards (women) 1st Gillian Docherty, 2nd Jennifer Martin 3rd Mairi McMillan

Throwing 28lb weight 1st John McLeod, 2nd Peter Hart, 3rd Scott Clark

Mile Race 1st Mathew Turner, 2nd Gary Turner, 3rd Craig Lamont

Tossing The Caber 1st Peter Hart, 2nd Scott Clark, 3rd John McLeod

Tossing the Tyre 1st Scott Clark, 2nd John McLeod, 3rd Peter Hart

Ladies Mile 1st Jennifer Martin, 2nd Elaine McGeachy 3rd Petra Sithole

56lb Weight(distance) 1st Peter Martin, 2nd John McLeod, 3rd Scott Clark

JUNIOR HEAVY EVENTS

Hammer 1st Peter McKerral, 2nd Craig McKerral, 3rd Chris Lindsay
Shott Putt 1st Chris Lindsay
Weight over Bar 1st Peter McKerral, 2nd Craig McKerral, 3rd Chris Lindsay
Throwing 28lb weight 1st Craig McKerral, 2nd Peter McKerral 3rd Chris Lindsay
Tossing the Caber 1st Kevin McIntyre, 2nd Craig McKerral, 3rd Peter McKerral

Carskiey Cup Alastair Glen
Junior Cup Peter McKerral
Kevin Scally Cup (mile race) Mathew Turner
OPEN Cup Mathew Turner

If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Southend Highland Games - now with results and photos

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:49 am

I'm sure John McMillan was not being as severe as it looks in the 3rd photo down! :lol: the poor wee girl in the pink!
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby JAFFA » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:02 pm

I have read that this years games are on Friday 23rd July.....Can someone confirm this date for me please.

kind regards Jeff
JAFFA
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby jdcarra » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:48 pm

JAFFA wrote:I have read that this years games are on Friday 23rd July.....Can someone confirm this date for me please.

kind regards Jeff

Jeff, the 23rd is a Saturday. See http://www.albagames.co.uk/Highland_gam ... m#SOUTHEND
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby JAFFA » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:11 pm

jdcarra wrote:
JAFFA wrote:I have read that this years games are on Friday 23rd July.....Can someone confirm this date for me please.

kind regards Jeff

Jeff, the 23rd is a Saturday. See http://www.albagames.co.uk/Highland_gam ... m#SOUTHEND

Mad moment :roll: :lol: ....We will be leaving on the Friday and thats where I got it mixed up and thanks for the info.

kind regards Jeff
JAFFA
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Bobh » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:18 pm

I've not been at the games for a couple of years. Staying at home this year and will be there this year. I always enjoy them and pray for good weather. Great pics from when my kids took part and in the courier also. I remember taking part in the mens 100m aged 40 plus (cost me a pound) i came fourth which was okay- unfortunately ther were only four participants :D
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby neilly » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:28 pm

Some new events for this year's games -

Soot Juggling : Last played in a caravan that was lying on its' side at Polliwilline after a storm. Two contestants , nude except for their socks, juggle with loose soot until one runs out of soot. The record is held by a dwarf called China who had a hammer-toe until his wife made him wear a trilby in cold weather.

Head Banging : This was very popular when the games began in 1920 at Keil. Each player bangs his/her head against a stone wall until he/she complains of a headache, at which point they are eliminated and stand in ox manure until the last remaining contestant is declared the winner.

Buttock Jousting : Formerly played by the Vikings on Sanda when it was foggy. Two men and a goose bend down on the ground and each tries to shove the goose up the opponent's ----, while gulping beer from a bucket full of ferrets.

Banana Bending : A comparatively new sport, introduced in Inveraray by a limbo dancer who tried to get into the toilets for nothing. Competitors are required to wear a kilt and pith-helmet, and to bend a banana with one hand while steam-ironing a poached egg with the other.; the most bent unbroken banana being declared the winner.

Pig Throwing : This sport died out before the war and involves throwing a pig in a similar fashion to tossing the caber; the longest tosser being declared the winner.

Horse Blowing : Lots of money used to be wagered on this most peculiar of sports, the idea being to lift up the horse's tail , and with the aid of a hollow bamboo stick, blow into the animal's ---- while jumping up and down on a bouncy-ball and chewing straw. The sport was banned in 1937 when a Southend farmer forgot to take his pipe out of his mouth and set fire to a prize-winning stallion, losing his dentures and suffering severe facial disfigurement.

Gravy Racing : Each runner carries a handful of warm gravy and runs backwards round the track; the winner receives a bag of rabbits and is daubed with a sponge ducked in treacle.

All entries for the above to be received by April Fool's Day . To enter tel. Southend 235

Please note, the kipper slapping contest, previously open to people under 3' 9" tall, has been cancelled due to elf & safety concerns.
neilly
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Next

Return to Local Events