Paris Tips

New forum under General to discuss travel, best places to visit, best hotels, things to do, things not to do etc!

Paris Tips

Postby Bobh » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:44 pm

Being the 'old romantic dog' that i am, me and my wife are going to Paris at the end of February for a two night stay. Flights and hotel booked. Any tips or suggestions most welcome .
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Paris Tips

Postby History » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:20 pm

We had dinner up the Eiffel Tower, What a view.
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Govangirl » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:57 pm

Bobh, I hope the missus makes you extra special pieces every day for your lunch for that! :wink: I don't know if you are into wine but there's a place called O Chateau that do Wine Tasting Sessions. They take place in a cellar near the Louvre and it is really enjoyable and funny. You learn a lot about wine and champagne and all the tastings were delicious.
If you want to get the most amazing views over Paris then definitely go up the Montparnasse Tower - wow! You can have a meal or just coffee near the top and at night, it's stunning and I think the best place to watch the Eiffel Tower Light Show.
And predictably, there are lovely things in the Galeries Lafayettes! :lol:
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby tootsy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:40 pm

Bob. With the exchange rate the way it is, would you not be better going to Blackpool. They have a similar tower, similar weather and at least the locals will be able to understand you. You can even get proper chips in Blackpool. :D
tootsy
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby WTC » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:44 pm

We went two years ago in the middle of March……..Bloody freezing!!!!

Spent over two hours standing in the freezing wind queuing to get up the Eiffel Tower. Was it worth it? Well I’ve been up the tower.

As for the Louvre. Crazy, crazy mad tourists everywhere, from all over the globe. If you are going, try and get there for opening time. It’s still mad and you’ll still have to queue.Take binoculars to see Mona. She is very small, maybe that’s why the Japanese swarm round her, and now resides behind glass (if it’s the real thing).

Went to see Napoleon. He is inside many coffins therefore we could not see him but there is a good military museum on the site with a very different tact on how the French won WWII.

Drink is extortionate!
Food is extortionate!

We stayed in the student area and found the prices much more reasonable.

Use the metro to see the city It’s cheap and easy to get round. Buy a ticket for 10/20 trips.

Take a rough guide book and you’ll be fine.
"Stoneybridge has facilities and.......facilities, So come to Stoneybridge !"
WTC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby bassett » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:44 pm

Bobh wrote:Being the 'old romantic dog' that i am, me and my wife are going to Paris at the end of February for a two night stay. Flights and hotel booked. Any tips or suggestions most welcome .

Best tip is DO NOT GO.Nothing whatsoever romantic about Paris.
bassett
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby DMS Graphics » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:49 pm

The Arc de Triomphe is worth a visit, great views from the top.

Never went up the Eiffel Tower, too busy and too high for the kids. You can buy tickets to go up so you don't have to queue.

Had lunch on the Champs Elysées, 2 Adults + 2 kids and a bottle of wine. Great meal, nice place cost about 95 Euros. A bit expensive but we were paying more in Disneyland.
DMS Graphics
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Bobh » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:35 pm

Hi, thanks for all your suggestion and tips.

Returned home last night and we both had a great time. Went up the Arc de Triomphe and it's stunning. Our hotel was great and only two hundred yards from the Arc. We went up to the second level of the Eiffel Tower and had lunch. Fabulous. Visited the Louvre and saw the Mona Lisa. Travelled round by open top bus over the the weekend which meant we saw loads of the city. Went to Mass at Notre Dame and what an experience.

Prices were very expensive and it's been a 'dear' weekend. But hey you've got to do it. Anybody thinking of going i'll gladly pass on tips.
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Travel