B.A. to charge for seat pre-allocation

New forum under General to discuss travel, best places to visit, best hotels, things to do, things not to do etc!

B.A. to charge for seat pre-allocation

Postby TYM » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:23 pm

B.A. have just announced that rather than wait until 24 hours before flying, customers can now pre-book their seating at the time of purchase. The downside is that they are charging £10 per sector, so £20 per return, or more likely £40 if flying through London from Scotland because a change of plane and therefore extra sectors is required.

I hope this is a spectacular failure. If not, then all scheduled airlines will soon be charging for something that currently gives them an advantage over charter and no frills airlines.
TYM
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: B.A. to charge for seat pre-allocation

Postby Mary G » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:38 pm

Tommy

This sounds awful. As a frequent flyer I do this anyway for free - ie pick my seat. Does your communication say that it will apply to Executive Club card holders too?

I blame Willie Walsh - what a disaster he has been for BA. The T5 fiasco was largely of his making.

Cheers, M
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby TYM » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:45 pm

Mary, you may be one of the luck ones if you hold the right kind of card

Executive Club members and Oneworld Equivalents
Premier Cardholders, Gold and Gold Guest List members are unaffected by the changes and can still choose any seat at time of booking without an additional cost.

Silver members can still choose a general seat at time of booking without any additional cost. However, if they would like an exit row seat in World Traveller or World Traveller Plus they must purchase this between 10 and 4 days to travel.
TYM
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Mary G » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:52 pm

Cheers Tommy

TYM wrote:Silver members can still choose a general seat at time of booking without any additional cost. However, if they would like an exit row seat in World Traveller or World Traveller Plus they must purchase this between 10 and 4 days to travel.

They like to keep it simple, eh?!? I always avoid exit rows (cannot recline the seat in them :wink: ), so am not affected anyway.

This is another change that will back-fire, I am sure.
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Travel