Florida

New forum under General to discuss travel, best places to visit, best hotels, things to do, things not to do etc!

Florida

Postby Bobh » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:33 am

Booked last minute to Florida to visit my aunt and uncle who have a condo in West Palm Beach. Going next Tuesday (17/2)for two weeks on my own-no weans!!

Picking a car up at Sanford Airport and driving down to WPB. (170 miles) Has anyone any thoughts or info?
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Florida

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:25 am

A couple of days in South Beach Miami.
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kevin Mc » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:35 am

I'd have thought the Keys would be worth a look if you've got no kids with you. We wanted to go, but we had the kids, and being near the parks, it was too much of a trek. We also wanted to go to Daytona Beach, but didn't get there in the end.

Not sure if you've got your car sorted yet, but there's info here on different rental cars:

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=107406
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Amanda in Texas » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:04 pm

Sorry if this is too late, buy my hubby and I really enjoyed the JFK NASA space center several years ago.
Amanda in Texas
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:21 pm

Thinking of doing the whole Disney thing this summer. Have been off-peak before, and didn't really do the Disney thing, but this will be the first time with Little Miss Sheik (6), so some questions:

* Anyone stayed in a Disney Hotel before? :) or :| or :(
* Anyone taken the Disney meal package? :) or :| or :(
* July - too hot? :oops:
* July - too busy? :evil:
* 2 weeks in Disney hotel - too much? :?
* 2 week Disney Park Pass - just too much darn Disney??? :cry:

Any other hints and tips greatly appreciated. :wink:
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:24 am

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:Thinking of doing the whole Disney thing this summer. Have been off-peak before, and didn't really do the Disney thing, but this will be the first time with Little Miss Sheik (6), so some questions:

Have been to Orlando twice and to us, it was Hell on Earth but we went for the kids and they loved it. We stayed the first time at a Disney Hotel and the second at a great Sheraton hotel - I felt the former was too expensive. If you're not in a Disney hotel, make sure they have a free shuttle to Disney or if you're lucky, to Universal Studios (the studio tour must not be missed). The Disney meal package at the hotel was fantastic and we got our best pics there but if you mean the entertainment meal packages then they are are brilliant, like the Wild West one and the Pirate's one. We went both times in August and although I'm terrible with the heat (I've got real Glesga skin!) it wasn't ever too hot and I found the rainpours each day very refreshing!

We spent our third week in the Keys and it was wonderful - we did the swimming with dolphins bit there as it was much more personal than Disney. That was a real highlight for our kids. Key West is brilliant.

Just a suggestion but we much preferred California and went there every year when the kids were young. I know Disneyland is not as big but it's great, there's Un Studios and you can go to San Diego easily for Seaworld and the great zoo and safari park there. We always did a two part holiday - one week in Anaheim and another in San Francisco or Yosemite or Mammoth Mountains.
Or did you mean Eurodisney?
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:56 pm

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:Thinking of doing the whole Disney thing this summer. Have been off-peak before, and didn't really do the Disney thing, but this will be the first time with Little Miss Sheik (6), so some questions:

Here I go - only switched on for 10 minutes for a catch up..........
We didn't stay in a Disney Hotel but met up with some good friends when our holidays overlapped 2 days, they were staying in Animal Kingdom Lodge and it was just beautiful.....their balcony overlooked the giraffes (my favourite) and the food was amazing!!! One of the best meals we had all holiday!! I think a week would be enough though (sanity and waistline :lol: )
They weren't on a Disney Meal Package!
We were there in October so can't really comment on the weather/busy questions though the one day we went to Magic Kingdom it was roasting and so very very busy!! even at that time of year!
Buy the "Brits guide to Orlando 2009" by Susan and Simon Veness ....we have 2007 and you are more than welcome to it but I'm sure there are loads of new things to do.....it's a tacky title I know....but it's a cracking book and there's nothing it won't tell you - websites for your theme park tickets etc!
We stayed on Universal Drive within walking distance of Universal and loved both the Universal parks.
I would love to go back, do a week and have a beach week.....
On the one very rainy day we had we went to Ripleys Believe it or not Museum which was really good fun and a break from the theme parks.....
Planning is important and have some chill days, we tried to have every 3rd/4th day just by the pool!! (or SHOPPING!!!!!)
Tell Mrs Sheik just to pack one suitcase but take three...... :D
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Kevin Mc » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:08 am

Ags wrote:Here I go - only switched on for 10 minutes for a catch up..........
We didn't stay in a Disney Hotel but met up with some good friends when our holidays overlapped 2 days, they were staying in Animal Kingdom Lodge and it was just beautiful.....their balcony overlooked the giraffes (my favourite) and the food was amazing!!! One of the best meals we had all holiday!! I think a week would be enough though (sanity and waistline :lol: )
They weren't on a Disney Meal Package!
We were there in October so can't really comment on the weather/busy questions though the one day we went to Magic Kingdom it was roasting and so very very busy!! even at that time of year!
Buy the "Brits guide to Orlando 2009" by Susan and Simon Veness ....we have 2007 and you are more than welcome to it but I'm sure there are loads of new things to do.....it's a tacky title I know....but it's a cracking book and there's nothing it won't tell you - websites for your theme park tickets etc!
We stayed on Universal Drive within walking distance of Universal and loved both the Universal parks.
I would love to go back, do a week and have a beach week.....
On the one very rainy day we had we went to Ripleys Believe it or not Museum which was really good fun and a break from the theme parks.....
Planning is important and have some chill days, we tried to have every 3rd/4th day just by the pool!! (or SHOPPING!!!!!)
Tell Mrs Sheik just to pack one suitcase but take three...... :D

We usually take extra cases too to fill up with shopping. We usually end up in "Old Navy" which is probably the same level as Primark over here, but the quality and choice seems better.

We were in Florida in February 2008 - most of the parks were busy ish - but Magic Kingdom was very busy. The main street thing was like a football crowd walking towards the ground!

Best bits for us (other than the excellent food) were the Space Centre, and we went to St Petersburg for a day to chill out which was nice too. There's a beach over that way that's always recommended (think it's Clearwater beach), and we were going to go, but it wasn't warm enough on the day. We also went to the Titanic Exhibition which at the time was in the Orlando Science Centre, and that was very good too for a change from the parks. In fact the Science Centre itself was the best bit rather than the Titanic bit..

I wasn't particularly taken with the Disney parks, but though Universal was good.

If we went again we'd see more of Florida and only go to a couple of the parks. Then again, we did go for the kids (who enjoyed being in the pool at the villa just as much as being at the parks! :roll: :? :D
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Mousireid » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:56 am

Will say no matter when you go the BEST thing you can do at Disney is to get there Before The Park Opens (rope drop) because its cooler and because many people are sleeping late - you would be surprised how much you can do in those first couple of hours. Collect fastpasses all day (they are free and can be used up until closing THAT SAME DAY - any time after your 'return time you can use them and then get another.) They have child swap for one parent to wait with child while other parents and/or child rides. Both very helpful.
If you stay onsite, being able to take a break after lunch and go back to your room for a swim in the pool and a nap in air conditioning is a MUST. The return after dinner/for dinner and spend the evening in cooler temps USING UP THOSE FASTPASSES!
If you hope to be in a sit down restuarant you should try and call beforehand to book especailly the character meals. And a fair idea of rides/attractions helps, especially if there are height requirements!
Lots of air conditioning inside so if you have to stay go indoors as much as possible and do water rides PM.
Picking up or ordering cases of water and having breakfast items in room helps save $$ as does dollar store light up toys for the evening parades etc.
Again the tow best things you can do are: BE THERE AT ROPE DROP and FASTPASSES, if you do anything please do THOSE!

Check out DISboards.com those folks are full of info!
Mousireid
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby abbey craig » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:15 pm

We`ve been to Florida a few times with the kids,i would never go in July its not a holiday walking round the parks in 90 to 100 degree heat,especially with toddlers.I found the best time to go is spring or autumn time not as hot or busy.
At the moment theres no deals to be made with the exchange rate as it is,unless you signed up with companies,like crown currency exchange, i use them all the time when i go to america if you bought your dollars in october last year for easter this year you would have got $1.81.
Also when in Orlando buy the local newspapers they do 2 for 1 deals on eating out,just like they do here(Sun and record) with Brewers Fayre etc etc you can save a good few dollars if your on a tight budget.
I was there in January and got chatting to a lot of brits,and they just flew over flight only and made theyre own deals in the motels and hotels ie If the hotel is flashing on theyre neon signs $30 a night for a room,they were offering to give them $15 a night for the room plus an upgrade and they were taking the $15 because it was quite,$15 was better than nothing.
abbey craig
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Sweltered » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:51 pm

$15 a night, hell I'd do it for $14.50 and let you make yer ain breakfast.

Don't come in July or August, it's murder. When buying stuff, Walmart is your friend. If hiring a car make sure to visit the Elephant Bar, it's a restaurant beside IKEA/Mall at Millenia. The food there is excellent and very reasonable. It has one of the best value kids menu around. Avoid the fast food places, like McDonald, BK unless you enjoy the squirts. You can't beat a $5 foot long sub from Subway....healthier too.
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Travel