Cheap Flights - Short Break Idea

New forum under General to discuss travel, best places to visit, best hotels, things to do, things not to do etc!

Cheap Flights - Short Break Idea

Postby WTC » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:16 pm

We have made cheap Ryanair flights work very well for us in the last couple of years. You do ‘get what you pay for’ but with only a 25 min turn around the crew are under a lot of pressure to ensure they meet the deadline. Also you usually end up miles from the ‘advertised’ destination, but then why not explore that area! 90% of our Ryanair flights arrived up to 45 min ahead of schedule. If you can travel when the flights are zero you only pay the taxes. I don’t mind hanging around an airport going out, so that opens up more destinations, but I do like to fly direct back to Glasgow/Prestwick.

Cheap flights in the last couple years:

Bergamo (Milan): Direct from Prestwick

Try and stay in Bergamo walled old town on the hill. Ideal for a couple, very quaint old shops and good home brewed beer! Most bars offer free ‘tapas’ style food with your drink. Drink and food quite cheap. Buy a 3 day bus pass at the airport for only 5 Euros and that’s your travel sorted (you can also use it on the funicular)

Alghero (Sardinia): Prestwick via Stansted

Flew via Stansted. Shops much more down to earth at Stansted (even had a bookies! (Heathrow T5 too ‘posh’)) Stayed in Alghero in self catering apartments. Old town very nice with a funfair at night for the kids. Very hot even in September. Hired a car but the island is very large and did not see very much in a short time. Flew to Bergamo then back to Prestwick.

Athens (Greece!) Glasgow BA to T5 then on to Athens

Yes, don’t forget BA. We flew one way for about £80 each! Athens was great. Watch where you stay though. Again you can buy a multi pass for the trains. 75 cents for a wine and 1.5 Euros for a beer if you drink where the locals drink. We even took the train to Corinth and ended up in an Earthquake measuring 6.5 and unfortunately killing two people.

Chania (Crete) Air Ninja (yes, I know, but it was only 30 Euros single inc taxes from Athens!)

Chania is a great town. Try and stay down at the front in the area overlooking the harbour. Very picturesque but unfortunately we can’t fly direct from Scotland to western Crete. We flew direct to Glasgow from Heraklion, which is over a two hour drive away from Chania, with Thomas Cook. If you like Malia please DON’T GO TO CHANIA!!!

Beauvais (Paris): Direct from Prestwick

Never stayed in Beauvais, headed straight to Paris on the transfer bus. It took over 1.5 hrs! Bloody cold Paris is in March. (Take a cardie) Very expensive city so we stayed in the student area. Spent most of the break queuing. Waited hours to get up the tower in a gale. Spent what seemed like days to get into Louvre. Inside it was so busy we went and found ‘Mona’ fought the Japanese for a good photo spot and left! Again buy a multi travel pass for cheap underground which is very easy to navigate.

Pisa (Italy!): Direct from Prestwick

One night in Pisa is more than enough so go directly to Florence. You can visit the leaning tower for a couple of hours before you fly back.The train station is attached to the airport (take heed Glasgow!) Buy a return and remember to frank the ticket when you enter the train platform. Florence is great for gold items and food (again eat/drink where the locals are. Keep a watch in the river for the extremely large rats. I have photos of one somewhere it’s as big as a dog! Colder than here in March. Live street performers from opera to crazy gypsy folk.

Girona (Spain) Direct from Prestwick

We stayed here as a wee breather before going onto busy Barcelona. Barcelona was too big for me but Girona was perfect. Again an old walled town with a river flowing through. Very relaxed and cheap. Ideal for a short break. You can catch the train up to Figueres and soak up some Dali culture.

Phew!! I need a holiday after typing that!!!!!!
:wink:
"Stoneybridge has facilities and.......facilities, So come to Stoneybridge !"
WTC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Cheap Flights - Short Break Idea

Postby Ags » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:20 pm

Loving this new travel section already! Well done Admins!!
I think I read somewhere this week that Ryanair have pulled the plug at Girona which is a bit of a shame!! All these holidays sound great WTC - your worse than me :lol:
I have used Ryanair twice this year - once to Dublin with the running girls and then to Budapest in June for a girlie weekend.
Before that we were in Oslo a couple of years ago. The airport they use in Oslo was a fair bit out but luckily the Dublin and Budapest flights landed at the main airports with very short transfers. We have never had a delay or any other problems with Ryanair!
I would definitely recommend Budapest to anyone looking for a city break - it is stunning! There would have been loads for the kids to do too had we not chosen to leave them all at home to look after their dads :wink:
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby WTC » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:32 pm

As far as I can ascertain Girona is still available from Prestwick (Wed 27th May 09 back Wed 3rd June 09 for under £54 each return!)

However they are ceasing operations from Valencia from Nov 4th 2008.
"Stoneybridge has facilities and.......facilities, So come to Stoneybridge !"
WTC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ags » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:37 pm

WTC wrote:As far as I can ascertain Girona is still available from Prestwick (Wed 27th May 09 back Wed 3rd June 09 for under £54 each return!)

However they are ceasing operations from Valencia from Nov 4th 2008.

DOH :oops: :oops: - you are right WTC!! At least I had the country right!!
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Travel