Moving to Kintyre?

If visiting the site just say a general hello and leave as much information as you like! Introduce yourself or announce your news - wish someone a Happy Birthday etc! You can also leave messages here if you are wishing to trace friends.

Moving to Kintyre?

Postby chuckle » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:37 am

Hi there, my husband and I are considering 'coming home'. At least it is home for him as his family have lived on Kintyre for years and he grew up there. I have also fallen in love with it in the 12 years we have been visiting family there. We have 2 boys aged 61/2yrs and 5yrs and I am interested to find out what activities there are for children outside of school. They are both keen rugby players, so I have found the Kintyre Rugby Club but what else is there? We would be situated between Tarbert and Campbeltown. I would love to hear from mums with children similar ages from anywhere in Kintyre as this is a big decision. Many thanks. :)
chuckle
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Re: Moving to Kintyre?

Postby Malky » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:32 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Not sure if I can help with suggestions for the kids as mine are quite a bit older now, but I'm sure someone will be able to help. You may find that most things are in either Tarbert or Campbeltown so be prepared to be a taxi driver :D

Best of luck with the move.

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby mrn » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:07 pm

There is no end of things to do for children in Kintyre. We raised our children in the country and they were always busy. As Malky says however be prepared to be a taxi as you will be in and out to the town like a yo-yo!

If you want to find something to do you will find it. If your kids want to find something to do they will and of course it helps if you can help direct them.

Where are you planning to move to?
mrn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby chuckle » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:46 pm

Yes I am feeling more confident now as I have done a bit more research. Hoping it all happens now esp as the flights to Glasgow from Campbeltown are so much cheaper now. it means our friends and my family can visit more easily. Coming back up for 10 days at the end of July and can't wait!
A Thank You and a Smile cost nothing but the gift is priceless.
chuckle
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Ship called Dignity » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:57 pm

chuckle wrote:We have 2 boys aged 61/2yrs and 5yrs and I am interested to find out what activities there are for children outside of school. They are both keen rugby players, so I have found the Kintyre Rugby Club but what else is there? We would be situated between Tarbert and Campbeltown. I would love to hear from mums with children similar ages from anywhere in Kintyre as this is a big decision. Many thanks. :)

Hi Chuckle,

Firstly - welcome to the forum. 8)

Hopefully Dads opinions count too? :wink: I don't think you will have any problems finding something for your kids to do. The Council now have a Rugby development officer so Rugby is being pushed in the area and I note it forms part of the summer activities organised by the Council's Active Schools team - see http://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/content/leisure2/ for more information.

Also see - http://www.stramash.eu/

Sport plays a huge part in the area and while football is arguably the biggest sport there are plenty of options including tennis, badminton, swimming (good local club going strong), golf, shinty, athletics, watersports, surfing, mountain biking etc. The Sea Cadets for example meeting on a Monday night and during the summer months are outside on the loch. There is also a canoe club and mirror dinghy sailing club too. The local Sports Council will soon be republishing there website so there will be links in there too.

Kintyre best assets are outside activities so there is plenty to do. When the weather isn't so kind (which can be often) then perhaps keeping them occupied is more of a handful but I am led to believe there are plenty of clubs etc. We have one younger than your two but find if the weather is miserable then getting him a £4.00 mixture from McKellars, a couple of DVDs and a Nintendo Wii and locking him in his room for 4 or 5 hours normally does the trick! :mrgreen: (I am joking of course! 8) )

I am sure the schools will help keep you right too - music plays a big part in many childrens lives here with both the Brass Band and Kintyre Schools Pipe Band.

Plenty of beaches too which can pass many a hour! Which reminds me I'm off up the road! 8)

Regards
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby chuckle » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:29 pm

Wow thank you for so much information, it is great to know that there are people who will go to so much effort to help us. I know we are not moving to the other side of the earth but it will be very different for us.

Your comments are very much appreciated.
A Thank You and a Smile cost nothing but the gift is priceless.
chuckle
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Return to Introductions, Say Hello, Announcements or trace friends!