Explanation of genealogy, cousins etc

If visiting the site just say a general hello and leave as much information as you like! Introduce yourself or announce your news - wish someone a Happy Birthday etc! You can also leave messages here if you are wishing to trace friends.

Explanation of genealogy, cousins etc

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:11 am

Some rather interesting posts on genealogy recently and none so more than the one about the McKinvens. Never knew you were so old Mack and belated birthday wishes! 8)

Getting interested in tracing my own family tree and was looking for an explanation of how first cousins, second cousins,"once removed etc" works?

I was always under the impression that second cousins are the children of cousins and third cousins are the children of second cousins - is this correct? Where does "first removed" fit in?

Let the lesson begin.. 8)
User avatar
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 6025
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:50 pm
Location: Campbeltown


Re: Explanation of genealogy, cousins etc

Postby JOEMAC » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:46 am

Hi there,
The different terms for cousins, second cousins ,cousins removed etc is as follows.
Your 1st.cousins are the children of your uncles or aunts, [your parents brothers or sisters]their children are your second cousins and so on.
Ist cousins once removed are the children of a sister or brother of your grandparents [your grand uncle or aunt]
as in the case with Mack, he is a descendant of my grand aunt so he is a cousin "removed"
Hope this helps,
Cheerio the noo,
Joe McMillan,
South Australia
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:14 am
Location: SOUTH AUSTRALIA


Re: Explanation of genealogy, cousins etc

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:02 pm

JOEMAC wrote:Hi there,
The different terms for cousins, second cousins ,cousins removed etc is as follows.
Your 1st.cousins are the children of your uncles or aunts, [your parents brothers or sisters]their children are your second cousins and so on.
Ist cousins once removed are the children of a sister or brother of your grandparents [your grand uncle or aunt]
as in the case with Mack, he is a descendant of my grand aunt so he is a cousin "removed"
Hope this helps,
Cheerio the noo,
Joe McMillan,
South Australia


Thanks Joe,

So the children of my first cousin are my second cousins? What relation are children of first cousinsto each other? I tended to think it all went in teirs and the children of first cousins were second cousins but you are saying otherwise?

I assume it becomes removed when it is grand parents and beyond?

Where is the best place to start tracing your family? Still concerned it will lead me to Carradale! :lol: :wink:
User avatar
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 6025
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:50 pm
Location: Campbeltown


Re: Explanation of genealogy, cousins etc

Postby Tosh » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:19 pm

Cousins are from the same generation as each other.
2nd cousins are from the same generation as each other (but a generation younger than first cousins)
3nd cousins are from the same generation as each other (but 2 generations younger than first cousins)

The removed bit comes into play when mixing generations.
The child of your cousin is your cousin once removed.
The child of your second cousin is your second cousin once removed.
The grand child of your cousin is your cousin twice removed.
Welcome...
Back to the circus...
User avatar
Tosh
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Notts


Re: Explanation of genealogy, cousins etc

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:18 pm

Tosh wrote:Cousins are from the same generation as each other.
2nd cousins are from the same generation as each other (but a generation younger than first cousins)
3nd cousins are from the same generation as each other (but 2 generations younger than first cousins)

The removed bit comes into play when mixing generations.
The child of your cousin is your cousin once removed.
The child of your second cousin is your second cousin once removed.
The grand child of your cousin is your cousin twice removed.


Thanks Tosh, much appreciated. This was my understanding of it but Joe thinks otherwise.

So who is right? :lol:
User avatar
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 6025
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:50 pm
Location: Campbeltown


Re: Explanation of genealogy, cousins etc

Postby JOEMAC » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:47 am

Hi Ship called Destiny,
My explanation of cousins and removed cousins is what i was taught, but ,of course ,it depends on who is teaching you.
If you are just starting out in your research into your family tree then i would suggest that you "buy" a copy of the family tree software "FAMILY TREE MAKER" which has a facility on it to tell you just how everyone is related to everyone else.
This should put you straight.
Regards,
Joe McMillan,
South Australia.
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:14 am
Location: SOUTH AUSTRALIA


Re: Explanation of genealogy, cousins etc

Postby EMDEE » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:13 am

Here's a couple of interesting links regarding family relationships cousins etc.:

http://genealogy.about.com/od/relations ... nships.htm

http://genealogy.about.com/library/nrel ... pchart.htm
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
User avatar
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 1932
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:55 am
Location: Up the Rodd


Re: Explanation of genealogy, cousins etc

Postby Tosh » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:48 pm

JOEMAC wrote:Hi Ship called Destiny,
My explanation of cousins and removed cousins is what i was taught, but ,of course ,it depends on who is teaching you.
If you are just starting out in your research into your family tree then i would suggest that you "buy" a copy of the family tree software "FAMILY TREE MAKER" which has a facility on it to tell you just how everyone is related to everyone else.
This should put you straight.
Regards,
Joe McMillan,
South Australia.



Joe, your explanation is actually the same but from a different angle.
Welcome...
Back to the circus...
User avatar
Tosh
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Notts



Return to Introductions, Say Hello, Announcements or trace friends!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest