Desperate for Argyll information from an Argyll Campbell

If visiting the site just say a general hello and leave as much information as you like! Introduce yourself or announce your news - wish someone a Happy Birthday etc! You can also leave messages here if you are wishing to trace friends.

Desperate for Argyll information from an Argyll Campbell

Postby campbellcdan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:15 pm

I am trying to find out what/where would be the most important place for an Argyll Campbell born in the USA to visit in Argyll. I am specifically looking for Castles, churches, lochs etc. I hope to be in Scotland by years end and wish to see where my ancestors are from. This is very important as we will also be bringing our fathers ashes to return him to his homeland. Thank You for any information that you may provide. Katherine Campbell
campbellcdan
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby daftdog » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:59 pm

The Ancestral home is now Inveraray Castle. Not sure if you could scatter ashes there though. The pre 1474 ancestral home is in ruins on a small island in Loch Awe called Innis Chonaill. Innis Chonnell Castle
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Rosemary Scott » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:22 pm

Argyll a fabulous place to be.There are a lot of historic places to visit.If you get down as far as Campbeltown on the peninsula Kilkerran Cemetery is an ancient burial site dating back a long way.Kilkerran cemetery also has a website you may pick up some info on there.Also worth a visit is the cave on Davaar Island which has a picture of Christ painted in the cave.Southend also has St.Columb's footprints there.Hope you have a great time in Argyll when you go.
Rosemary Scott
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:17 pm

Campbellcdan - which part of Argyll did your father come from?
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sweltered » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:41 pm

A visit to Dunadd is in order. Seat of the first Kings of Scotland, near Cairnbaan
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Introductions, Say Hello, Announcements or trace friends!