Hello from Carradale!

If visiting the site just say a general hello and leave as much information as you like! Introduce yourself or announce your news - wish someone a Happy Birthday etc! You can also leave messages here if you are wishing to trace friends.

Hello from Carradale!

Postby GarySutherland » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:58 am

Hello all,

Just dropping a note to say 'Hi' from up the road a bit.

We live in the old Primary School at Carradale and you might see me buzzing about in my tatty old Landrover or hurtling by on one of the motorbikes.

I hope Davie won't mind my plugging one of my websites: http://www.The-Carradale-Goat.co.uk is a weblog I write about goings on around here.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Carradale

Postby Admin3 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:56 pm

No problems at all Gary.

Keep us posted with goings on in Carradale etc

And ask Nonnie if he has any old photos of the Carradale football team![/url]
Admin
Admin3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby GarySutherland » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:11 am

Thanks, I'll ask Nonnie about the football team. I know Lachie Paterson has a whole mountain of old photos and things but I think they're mainly related to the fishing fleet.

Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Photo

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:48 pm

Gary,

Do you know if Nonnie posted a photo of the Carradale team through my door?

One was there when I came back from up the road but don't know who from! :shock:

Cheers

David
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby GarySutherland » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:13 am

I don't know that he did but I did mention to him that you were looking for one. I'll ask him this afternoon when I drop into The Glen for a post-programming Guinness.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby GarySutherland » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:35 am

Nope. Nonnie says it wasn't him.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Gary's Carradale Website

Postby dgraves » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:17 pm

Spectacular pictures, Gary. I felt like I visited in person. It is certainly a place I look forward to visiting. Maybe in summer 2006.

I had never been to your site before. I'll certainly be looking in. Thanks for all the views! :D
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby GarySutherland » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:54 am

Thanks for the kind words. You're very welcome.

I'm a firm believer that developing tourism is the key to the future of Kintyre. Anything I can do to entice a few more visitors is a step in the right direction.

I'd have to qualify that by saying that not everyone who lives here would agree with me.

Regards
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby dgraves » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:39 am

If it is remotely as friendly as it was when I last visited, I know I will have a terrific time, Gary! The McEachern that claimed me as a relative wasn't the only one that went out of their way. There was also a wonderful older lady named Mrs. Witherspoon (sp?) that told me many tales. She said she was in charge of what passed for a library (a large room above some stores). She took me up there to look. There were archives that would tantalize anyone (but a nineteen year old!). Wish I had had more sense then.
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby oorly gourlay » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:34 pm

FAO Dorian,
Hi Dorian re the McEachern/McEachran argument, my own experience is that the "erns" are almost wholly Islay based and the "rans" Kintyre based. You probably know that they are a sept of Clan Donald, Lords of the Isles whose hub base was Finlaggan on Islay. Their empire extended from Lewis and Harris in the Outer Hebrides to Colonsay, Islay, Jura, Rathlin, Antrim and Kintyre and as their power diminished over the centuries had the last vestiges of their lands in Kintyre and Islay. The McEachrans are believed to have been the MacDonalds' grooms or horse keepers and as such would have travelled with the main clan. As clan rivalry and being on the wrong side in the '45 meant that the MacDonalds were almost cleared from Kintyre and Islay the government forces did not realise the asociation, or chose to ignore it, between the 2 clans and the McEachrans remained, hence the predominance of the name today.
There is also the chance that your ancestor entered the USA via Ellis Island or somewhere similar where names, especially Scots and Irish had their names spelled phonetically and in some cases changed beyond recognition.
Re Mrs Wotherspoon, unfortunately she passed away a couple of years ago but her bookshop, Martins, is still operated by her daughter Effric MacNeil.
Best of luck with your search.
Over land and sea!
oorly gourlay
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby dgraves » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:50 am

Thanks for the information, Oorly (alright to call you that? What does it mean?) The more I learn, the more fascinating the history. You have certainly given me some great leads. My search originally began just looking for an individual I had met. Even if nothing pans out as far as finding the McEacherns goes, I will have learned sooo much.

You all on the forum have been great. :D
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Meaning of "oorly"

Postby oorly gourlay » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:25 pm

Dorian, there in no meaning to "oorly", it's part of my pseudonym and rhymes with gourlay :!: I don't suppose there is much point hiding behind the name as everyone and their grannies know or think they know who I am.
I see that bubbly jock is heading across the Atlantic, if you come across him, please organise a turkey shoot :!: :!: :!:
og
Over land and sea!
oorly gourlay
Active Poster
Active Poster

Unique visitors

Postby dgraves » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:17 pm

What are 'unique' visitors, Gary?
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby GarySutherland » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:03 pm

I think it means that the connection was from a unique IP address, rather than anything else. Just means that the address of the computer connecting to the website was uniquely different to any other that had connected earlier that month.

Given that most of the cheaper ISPs use dynamic address allocation of IP addresses it's not an especially reliable statistic but it does at least give an approximation.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ship called Dignity » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:55 pm

Yes interesting stats Gary (in case anyone wondered what this is about I figured it out and looked at Gary's site http://www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk

Will need to dig mine out as I am interested to see the variation in visits.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Introductions, Say Hello, Announcements or trace friends!