Manfred Mann

If visiting the site just say a general hello and leave as much information as you like! Introduce yourself or announce your news - wish someone a Happy Birthday etc! You can also leave messages here if you are wishing to trace friends.

Manfred Mann

Postby bill » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:54 pm

Hi to everyone,

Is there anyone else old enough to remember when Manfred Mann played the Vic?

It was on a Tuesday night in July 1964.How can I remember that far back? Easy!

Way back then the charts were released on a Tuesday,and the day that Manfred Mann reached number 1 was the day they played the Vic.The only time there was a current chart topping act in the town. It cost the princely sum of 10/- a ticket,50p in todays devalued currency.As I was earning £3.10/- a week and handing in £2 for my keep, 10/- for a ticket was a lot.

Saw them a couple of years ago,they now tour as the Manfreds,still as good as they were.

M E M O R I E S..................
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Jeanette » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:12 am

Bill

I don't remember how much it cost but I was there with two friends who decided to go up on the stage and the rest of the audience followed :D

Here in the Vic was a chart topping group playing music that you could only hear by tuning into a pirate ship out in the North Sea was something that I doubt very few of us who were there will forget.

I also remember the night they showed "Rock Around the Clock" with Bill Hailey in the Rex and the audience were shouting for the projectionist to put the reel back so they could hear that clip again :shock:

Imagine telling teenagers now that they could only listen to music from their parents and grandparents era and if they want to hear the latest chart topping efforts they would have to try and find a spot in town to get a good reception on their second hand Transistor radio. :roll: :roll:

jeanette
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Surfbored » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:05 pm

now when I were a lad ...

we'd get up at 5am, 3 days before we went to bed, praying that someone would invent transistor radio, and music teacher would thrash us across knuckles with stick that had 6 inch nails in if we got our scales wrong on comb and paper .... I say comb, but it were really old fish bones from one fish a year me and my family of 50 got ..WHEN we had ration coupon ..........
I wasn't so easily patronised when I was your age ...
Surfbored
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Jeanette » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:28 pm

Surfbored wrote:
old fish bones from one fish a year me and my family of 50

I don't think it matters what decade you were brought up, it all depends on whether your parents priorities was food on the table and the rent paid rather than costly "weekend pursuits" that drained the family finances and left the pantry bare. I'm sure you will agree Surfbored?

Don't remember rationing.......

jeamette
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby chrisduffy » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:28 pm

Surfbored wrote:now when I were a lad ...

we'd get up at 5am, 3 days before we went to bed, praying that someone would invent transistor radio, and music teacher would thrash us across knuckles with stick that had 6 inch nails in if we got our scales wrong on comb and paper .... I say comb, but it were really old fish bones from one fish a year me and my family of 50 got ..WHEN we had ration coupon ..........

A BED?! "You were lucky" :lol: :lol:
chrisduffy
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Introductions, Say Hello, Announcements or trace friends!