Hello Everyone

If visiting the site just say a general hello and leave as much information as you like! Introduce yourself or announce your news - wish someone a Happy Birthday etc! You can also leave messages here if you are wishing to trace friends.

Hello Everyone

Postby Linda101 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:02 pm

Good morning, or at least it is here in Pennsylvania USA.

I have been working on my family history for the past 3 years; and while I know my roots on all sides of the family are deep in Scotland, I am coming to the painful realization that I will not prove my family beyond the United States. I have not given up hope, and keep searching the net, wishing for just a small clue that would give reason to believe I have found my ancestral home. The searching is what brought me to your happy little forum here; and while I can't say "I'M HOME", I find such a friendly, helpful group that I hope you will not mind if I adopt your town until I can prove where my roots began.

I just love the atmosphere and bantering that goes on in this forum. I think I have read every old post over the past several weeks, before joining, and hope someday in my retirement to travel and visit. I may not have much to contribute often, but I will most certainly be lurking and reading and dreaming and of course continuing to search. It is people like this group that gives silent strength to those of us on an impossible quest to continue. Its proud that I am to have the blood and heritage of the Scottish.

Linda from Erie Pennsylvania USA
Linda101
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby dgraves » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:10 pm

Morning, Linda! Its even earlier out in Colorado :D

Glad to see you here. My daughter, Shauna, lives in Carlisle. She traveled with a friend to Campbeltown and Southend last month. What seems like a far off dream to you now will turn into a year or less once you get to know the people on the forum. You'll have a great time! Just join in anytime...and welcome! :D
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Linda101 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:59 pm

Thanks Dorian,

I need a road trip to your daughters neck of the woods as another branch of the family started their PA lives in Shippensburg and a trip to the Court House will be required to knock down that brick wall. That is a trip I should be able to accomplish long before a trip to Scotland lets hope LOL.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Linda
Linda101
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Kevin Mc » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:27 pm

I hope you have some luck if finding your roots in Scotland. :)

In the last few years, a lot of old census information has been made available on the 'net.

Here's one I've found:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

This isn't the one I was thinking of - maybe someone else will know of other sites. None of the information seems to be free either :(
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Linda101 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:31 pm

Thanks Kevin,

That looks like a helpful site and I am willing to pay for access to any info I can get. Unfortunately, my ancestors were not the best at handing down their History, heck the living members of the family don't even talk much LOL, but a quest is a quest and I'm not giving up until I have figured it out.

For now I am content with learning the history and getting a small look at what life may have been like. My earliest ancestors were in the US in the 1700's and the latest were in 1888 (but they were from the North of Ireland--Scotish just the same). Too bad I didn't pay this much attention to History when I was in school, I would have aced the class LOL.

Linda
Linda101
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby mary,queen of everything » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:07 am

linda 101, have been reserching for many years maybe I can give you a list of websites to look into. I have tracked my bunch back to 1600s around southend & campbeltown PM me & I'll see what I can do to help you out. Genealogy is one of my hobbies.
MQOE
sent using recycled electrons
mary,queen of everything
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby peaches » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:45 pm

hi my names wilma i went to school in campbeltown i am now in England but i am tending to come back to campbeltown soon
peaches
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Introductions, Say Hello, Announcements or trace friends!