Are there any Jordans or Jacksons left in Campbeltown?

If visiting the site just say a general hello and leave as much information as you like! Introduce yourself or announce your news - wish someone a Happy Birthday etc! You can also leave messages here if you are wishing to trace friends.

Are there any Jordans or Jacksons left in Campbeltown?

Postby Greta » Thu May 05, 2005 4:56 pm

Hi! My great-grandparents were married in the Lochend Free Church in Campbeltown in 1899, then emmigrated to South Dakota, U.S.
I will be visiting this summer and would like to meet any relations in the area.
She may have been the choir director, his family were lighthouse keepers.....I am American and have been living in Germany since 1987. Would appreciate any news! Thanks a lot, Greta
i plan to visit campbeltown this summer. would like to know if i have any living relatives in the area. my great-grandmother, a Miss Jordan, married a Mr. Jackson at the Lochend Free Church in 1899. They immigrated to South Dakota.........
Greta
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Jordans and Jacksons

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu May 05, 2005 5:39 pm

Greata,

There are quite a few Jordans and Jacksons in Campbeltown.

Hopefully they will be reading this site!

Do you have any forenames and any other information - brothers and sisters?

All the best! :lol: :lol:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Greta » Fri May 06, 2005 5:11 pm

Dear Davie P.,
thanks a lot for the good news!
my great-grandmother's name may have been kathleen or kathryn, am not sure. since she was gifted with a silver tea service by the lochend free church choir for her wedding, i think she may have been the choir director. i do know of a letter sent to my grandmother in 1956 from bessie and paulie jordan in campbeltown. in the letter, they mentioned that my great-grandfather's family were lighthouse keepers.......
i have a relative in alaska who has supposedly done some work on our family tree, perhaps she has some more names....will let you know if icome up with something else...
i sent a letter to the pastor of the lochend free church a couple of weeks ago, asking for information. do you know if the church still exists?

perhaps i could write all the jordans and jacksons in the phone book! do you know of a web site with access?

cheers! greta
i plan to visit campbeltown this summer. would like to know if i have any living relatives in the area. my great-grandmother, a Miss Jordan, married a Mr. Jackson at the Lochend Free Church in 1899. They immigrated to South Dakota.........
Greta
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Lochend Church

Postby Jock Strap » Fri May 06, 2005 6:31 pm

You will find that Tescos Superstore is now located where Lochend Church used to stand. :cry:

I found this picture on the http://www.campbeltownloch.com site which shows the church in all its glory:-

http://www.campbeltownloch.com/town2thu ... church.jpg

Hopefully news will get his way round to the Jordans or Jacksons of Campbeltown - there certainly is a few in the town.
Jock Strap
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Malky » Fri May 06, 2005 11:32 pm

Greta,

I run the Campbeltown Loch site for my mate Russell. The site uses frames and will always redirect you to the home page so there's no point me giving you a link to the full size photo. That happens so the navigation bar is always loaded :)

So, the best thing is to click on the link in my signature below, click on search and type in Lochend (or anything else you wish to enter) and you will get links to all instances of Lochend on the site.

Hope that helps :) :)

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

lochend church

Postby Greta » Thu May 12, 2005 8:51 am

to Malky and Jockstrap,
many thanks for your help and tips. it's really too bad that the church was torn down.......but at least pictures still exist. do you think church records are also still around?
i received a copy of that letter from my sister: it was sent by Bessie and Polly Jordan in 1956 and the return address is something like (not sure about some of the letters) Low Askonil, Campbeltown......

any more ideas are welcome!
cheers,
Greta
Greta
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Nancie » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:35 am

Hi Greta

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I just found your message last night. My mother was Margaret Jackson, now deceased. There are no Jacksons in the area related to you but there are some descendants. As far as I am aware there are no Jordans who would be related to you.

The story of the Jackson family in Kintyre goes back to 1856 when George Jackson and his wife Ann came to the Mull of Kintyre from Eskadalemuir in Dumfriesshire. They lived at Strone, Glemanuilt and Balinamoile and their 13 children were born between 1853 and 1873. One of their sons, John, who was born on 1st February 1860, married Kate Jordan, as she was known, in Campbeltown. They went to the United States in about 1900 and lived in Bismarck ND and later moved to WN (Wisconsin?). According to my family tree, they had three children, George, Clifford and Greta.

My great grandfather, William stayed in Kintyre and had seven children. Some of them also emigrated to the States and Australia.

John's sister Anne also went to ND about 1900 with her widowed mother, Ann, and her two brothers James and John, Jim and Hugh. They also moved to WN. Several other children of George and Mary emigrated to ND - John and Janet in 1887 and Thomas in 1889.

The family lived at Balinamoile the nearest house to the Mull of Kintyre lighthouse and George and Ann's daughter Rose (born 1859) married the lighthouse keeper named Quine who had two daughters by a previous marriage. These two daughters married Rose's younger brothers James and Hugh. Complicated?

I am in touch with several Jackson descendants in the United States, Canada and Australia and would be happy to let you see all the information I have.

I look forward to seeing you in the summer as I have a lot of information about the Jacksons. Please keep in touch.

Nancie Smith
Nancie
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

jordans and jacksons

Postby Greta » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:47 am

dear nancie, WOW! that was a lot of information, was thrilled to get it. i was away for 3 weeks and did not see your reply until this morning.
WN is an abbreviation for Washington State (northwest corner, above california and oregon)
i will be coming to campbeltown around the 28th of july, staying until the 7th of august. would be great to meet with you and get caught up with our family tree......
the letter i mentioned was signed Aunt Bessie and i think she could have been my grandmother greta's aunt. do you know how i could get any more information about that side of the family? i assume that Low Askomil or Askomich was the name of their cottage "by the sea", as she wrote. do you know if that house still exists? or how i could determine if kate jordan really was the church's choir director? and is greta a typical scots name?
as you can see, lots of things to discover.....
very much looking forward to meeting you!
best regards,
greta
Greta
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Introductions, Say Hello, Announcements or trace friends!