Robert Service

If visiting the site just say a general hello and leave as much information as you like! Introduce yourself or announce your news - wish someone a Happy Birthday etc! You can also leave messages here if you are wishing to trace friends.

Robert Service

Postby kimhulme » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:16 am

I'm in Cheshire. Listening to Radio 4 this morning I heard the name Robert Service. That's the name I could not remember of a poetry book I read in a B & B whilst working in Bolton in the mid -sixties. So I used Google to look up the name with that bit about 'half a yard of toilet seat'. It came up with 'Kintyre Forum' amongst others. Wow! I like poetry and have several on Lancashire dialect - being very close to Lancashire there is /was quite an influence in our dialect/accent. It's not easy to read if you don't have in inkling of what words mean; there are many strange ones. Even my locally-born father corrupted words (I think- at least I blame him) He used to say 'neest' instead of nest and 'rot' instead of rat. My granddad called a horse a 'tit' who, born in Lancs , is understandable, but it sounded strange to me if not somewhat rather risqué.
Kim
kimhulme
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Introductions, Say Hello, Announcements or trace friends!