Moving to Kintyre

If visiting the site just say a general hello and leave as much information as you like! Introduce yourself or announce your news - wish someone a Happy Birthday etc! You can also leave messages here if you are wishing to trace friends.

Moving to Kintyre

Postby sfox2003 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:26 pm

Hello there :)

My husband and I have visited the west coast of Scotland for the past 5 years. We absolutely love it there, especially Kintyre and Gigha. Although weve spoke about moving up there in previous years, this year weve started to consider it much more seriously. We have 2 children and feel that if we dont do it now, we may miss a wonderful opportunity to enrich all of our lives.

My husband has the benefit of working for a large IT company and he is home based. So my question regarding this is about the power and the broadband. Is there decent broadband available in most places? Also power cuts, do you have many over the winter?

My children are both primary school age. From what Ive seen most schools are tiny, often with only 10 children. What are the pros/cons of this kind of education? My two currently attend a school of 200 pupils and my eldest is due to move onto a high school with 500. In a school of 10, theyd both be in the same class, however theres 4 years between them, and my daughter is about to start her final year before high school, how do the schools manage this?

I am currently a nursery manager, Ive been a childminder and a classroom assistant, in the past and Im a qualified Early Years Teacher. Is there much work in this area up there or am I likely to need to put my hand to other things (which I will happily do)?

Weather - What are your winters like? Ive heard they can be quite mild, but you do get snow. How does this affect the roads etc? Im wondering if attending work and getting the children to school will often be difficult. Down here where I live (Preston), people are crazy, the snow brings everything to a standstill. Do you get it so often that you just get on with it?

We spoke to some locals whilst we were there last time and they said winters can be pretty boring. No one around, everything shut down etc. Is this the case? Personally I think this is lovely. Lots of brisk walks and cosy fires. Time to spend with eachother rather than getting swept up in constantly feeling the need to be on the go, as is with city life.

We think moving up there would be a much calmer way of life. Wed get to spend much more quality time with our children, if magnificent surroundings. Our lifestyle would change as well. Rather than going to shopping complex's and big cinemas, wed have a boat, go fishing, spend a lot of time on the beach and walking. We'd be able to Island hop at the weekends as well. At home, we could grow our own food, get some chickens. It all sounds very perfect I know, Im sure that there are many things we would miss and find difficult.

Sorry for going on, and thank you for your advise :)
sfox2003
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Moving to Kintyre

Postby mambels » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:14 am

I am thinking that you probably did not move to Kintyre, it is a beautiful place the climate is mild, hours of daylight in the summer especially on the islands. Moving to Campbeltown is not a bad move if you can tolerate the locals, I left in 1962 lived in England for many years. The local population are not the most friendly and you have to be careful when choosing friends but I suppose its the same for all small community type places, if you have moved then I hope you have settled in well.
mambels
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby mambels » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:25 am

I would ask those who run the Kintyre Forum is there any way they can get members to at least answer in some way some of the queries and advice sought by those who live outside of Kintyre, there is only 6 posts 2017 to date,13/14 post 2016/15 the reason probably is the amount of "0" in that answer column. Wondering in the Kintyre Forum might want to change the format to entice answers. The initial idea was a good one but there is now a tired look about it and more and more people are leaving it behind, maybe some of the other members might want to put what they think on here.
mambels
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby glassblower » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:16 pm

Hello Mambels,
I am unable to spend as much time on the Forum as I would like, but I do try to "answer posts" if I can be of help, or give an opinion that might help. I agree with you regarding you second post on the 22-Nov-2017, how things can be improved, I don't know, perhaps there's not as many "local members" as when the Forum started ? so that's why post go unanswered/commented on ? just a thought.

Glassblower.
glassblower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jdcarra » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:09 pm

Yes members comments have dwindled over the past two years, may be most are too busy now or the likes of Facebook/Twitter has drawn them.With the site being quiet people may not be logging on and seeing new requests/asking for info or the likes.I too have run The Carradale Goat website for years and also find some lack of comments now probably that I don't post enough new material as much as I did couple of years back.
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby glassblower » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:47 pm

Hi jdcarra,
I never gave thought to Facebook/Twitter (having an impact on The Forum) when I wrote my last, i am not on either, but I did join Facebook (several years ago) but after a month I packed it in as I was forever getting "requests for friends" who I hadn't a clue who they were, Facebook, not for me. Along with Forum members leaving and the shall we say the "youngsters of today" not being interested in I suppose what seems to them an "old fashioned" way of things. that might have lead to a decline in Forum uses. It's a shame the Forum is not used more and "i haven't got a clue as to how improve things, perhaps now winter is coming more people will start looking/using the Forum again !!!

Ken, Glassblower.

ps Thank you for posting "A Tribute to our Heroes", on The Carradale Goat 7-11-17, excellent
glassblower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby MichaelC » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:48 pm

I love Scotland, absolutely peaceful place to live! My Grandma lives close to, really appreciate it to be close.
MichaelC
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Introductions, Say Hello, Announcements or trace friends!