Archibald Watson From Campbeltown

If visiting the site just say a general hello and leave as much information as you like! Introduce yourself or announce your news - wish someone a Happy Birthday etc! You can also leave messages here if you are wishing to trace friends.

Archibald Watson From Campbeltown

Postby janet » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:01 pm

This is my first post to this forum. The posted pictures on the website make me yearn to visit this lovely area of Scotland, which is the "home" of my grandfather, Archibald McMillan Watson. I would like to make contact with living descendants of his father or grandfather. Hoping there might be someone on this forum who may know of a connection in Campbeltown.

I had typed an abbreviated form of the following message, but it vanished when I tried to preview it, so I am copying a longer message that I have posted elsewhere, sorry if it might be a little long for this venue.

My gggrndfather was Archibald Watson, b Jun1837 Campbeltown, d.29Feb1908 Campbeltown, residence in later years at Millknowe, Campbeltown. Archibald was listed as a draff storekeeper and Gaelic Precentor on Census Info.

He was first married to Euphemia McKinven, b~1842, d.Aug1875 and had four children:

Mary Watson b.1867, d.1893 m.Dugald McMillan 1889in Campbeltown, had son Archibald Watson McMillan b.1890
Euphemia Watson b.1869, d.1928 m.Robert Brown Gilchrist 1896 had children John, Margaret and Robert in Stirlingshire and Wigtownshire
Isabella Watson b.1871, d.1923 in Glencharvie, Southend, m. Robert Clark in Campbeltown in 1899
William Watson, b.1873, d.~1876

Second wife was my gggrandmother, Jane Armour b.May1853 d.1927 In Campbeltown, married Archibald in Nov1876 and had 6 children:

William Watson b.~1878, d1931 in Campbeltown, married Elizabeth Ferguson in Paisley, 1908

Archibald Watson, my Great-grandfather, b.1879, death unknown, m. Mary Stewart Muir in Mar1902 at the Moy, Campbeltown and had at least 2 daughters, Christina Muir Watson, b.Jul1902 and Jane Watson, b.April1904

Archibald was also the father of my grandfather, Archibald McMillan Watson, born 27Nov1901 in Glasgow to Mary McMillan, daughter of Dugald McFarlane McMillan and Margaret McKay McMillan, who had about 11 children in Campbeltown. They lived on Cavendish Street, Glasgow by 1901, and who raised my grandfather Archie until he came to Alberta, Canada in the early 1920's to join two of Mary's brothers, Donald and Malcolm McMillan.

Jane Watson bOct1881
Robert Watson b~1884, dJan1905
Angus Watson b.Jan1888
Alexander Watson b.Nov1890

I have not been able to find death information for either Archibald or Mary, nor death or marriage info for Christine or Jane Watson, so I'm assuming their deaths or marriages may have been after information is publically available on Scotland's People, or that they left Scotland.

Hoping someone might know some connections for this family, as I would like to contact living descendants of Archibald and Mary Stewart Muir.
janet
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Site

Postby Annie » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:20 pm

Try this site!

onegreatfamily.com

You seem to have a lot of information, and for a fee, this site is quite informative!

Good luck with your search. Usually people on the board are quite helpful!

You can see this by looking at other posts!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Introductions, Say Hello, Announcements or trace friends!