Remembering Campbeltown, 1975

If visiting the site just say a general hello and leave as much information as you like! Introduce yourself or announce your news - wish someone a Happy Birthday etc! You can also leave messages here if you are wishing to trace friends.

Remembering Campbeltown, 1975

Postby WHV » Tue May 08, 2012 7:54 am

Well, those were the days...

While reminiscing a bit I found this Kintyre forum, dealing with things about Campbeltown as well.
So I remember when I first visited Scotland in 1975 it was Campbeltown where I stayed for some weeks with some friends.

A former friend of mine had a penfriend in town, Catherine I think was her name, daughter of well-known Campbeltownian Donald Shaw, the fuel merchant living those days at Shalimar at Kilkerran Road. Donald invited us to stay with his family and we had a wonderful time.
He showed us around and we even went fishing very very early in the morning.

We’ve been at a ceilidh nearby at a hotel, and had some fun, also I remember that we vhad been to the Donkey Derby Day.
We visited a distillery (I think it was Springbank, I can’t remember exactly) and have been to Machrihanish and the Mull Of Kintyre. Donald wanted to introduce us to the McCartneys but unfortunately they hadn’t been there at the time. Also Jack Bruce lived there at Sanda Island (?) those days.

At Donald’s home Catherine and a friend of her, Fiona, tried to teach us Scottish dancing, and we had some drinks with Donald.

Well, so we had a very good time and while browsing on the net I found out that Donald passed away many years ago. God bless him.

I also remember that I fell a bit in love with a lovely girl in town, I think her name was Anne Scott, we had been out at a cinema, as far as I remember and wrote each other some letters after that, but that was all for that.

Anyway, I still remember those days and I often returned to Scotland, to Campbeltown two more times, in 1976 and 1977.
Maybe anybody of Donald’s relatives will read this and remember us, it was Hendrik, Holger and me being there in 1975.
And, of course, a big HELLO to Anne, and I hope she is doing fine.

Best wishes from Germany.

Wolfgang
WHV
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Remembering Campbeltown, 1975

Postby tony » Wed May 09, 2012 10:54 pm

Hello Wolfgang - I remember your visit to Campbeltown all those years ago in 1975. I'm the Fiona you mention, a friend of Kathleen. Her mother spoke with me about you all not that long ago.
What a great time we all had! Pubs, Springbank, Ugadale Hotel, ceilidhs, walks etc.
I'm afraid I've lost touch with Anne Scott but someone on here might know where she is now.
I'll contact Kathleen and send her a link to this page.
Fiona
tony
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby WHV » Fri May 11, 2012 8:38 am

Hi, Fiona,

well, what a big surprise this is. At least i didn’t expect that anybody will remember us.
So, I did get her name wrong, right, Kathleen, not Catherine.... Where does she live now? I remember she once went to Edinburgh.

And you’re still living in Campbeltown, don’t you? Are you fine so far?
I think lot of things changed since those days long ago.

Yes, I still remember our stay very well, but the following years I had been visiting other places with other friends, not only Scotland, but England and Ireland as well.
With Holger I do not have any more contact for many years now, and Hendrik, my good friend, passed away about three years ago, it was very sad.

So best wishes from Germany..

Wolfgang
WHV
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby KIWshalimar » Sat May 12, 2012 7:19 pm

Hi Wolfgang,

Good to hear from you - this is Kathleen. I am now in London but my mum is still in Campbeltown as are my brothers. If you email me directly on KIWshalimar@aol.com, I will update you on my family. I am also in touch with Anne Scott.

My mum will be glad to hear that you are back in touch!

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best wishes

Kathleen :D
KIWshalimar
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Introductions, Say Hello, Announcements or trace friends!