Tracing a family

If visiting the site just say a general hello and leave as much information as you like! Introduce yourself or announce your news - wish someone a Happy Birthday etc! You can also leave messages here if you are wishing to trace friends.

Tracing a family

Postby kathy9 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:12 pm

I am trying to trace a family who lived in MAchrihanish/Campbeltown name of Stasia Cairns, daughter Mary Eglington. Anybody recognise them? Think they were connected to the big hotel at Machrihanish. Thx :)
kathy9
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Re: Tracing a family

Postby DRUMLEMBLE1 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:20 pm

Kathy 9,
Both are now deceased. Mary Eglinton had a daughter called Katherine who would be 56 years old now. Have not heard anything about Katherine's whereabouts for the last 30 years. Duncan Cairns father of Mary was the barman in the Ugadale Hotel in the early 1960's as far as I can remember.
DRUMLEMBLE1
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby kathy9 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:37 pm

Yes, Ugadale Arms hotel, that was the name. I will try Scotlands People, see if I can find out dates. Mary was my mother and am looking into the family tree from there. Thx Drumlemble :wink:
Last edited by kathy9 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kathy9
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby kathy9 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:55 pm

Btw Mary Eglington's maiden name of McMaster, have posted this on another site, anybody know of any current McMasters in Kintyre? The story goes that James McMaster set sail from Kintyre in 1760 for Ireland with 7 sons and 2 daughters. Sounds dead romantic doesnt it. Wondered if there were any current McMasters, though I know the prospect of tracing that far back are not good. Intersting though isnt it. :D
kathy9
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby DRUMLEMBLE1 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:02 am

Kathy 9,
Only person I know with the McMaster surname in Kintyre is Mrs Elizabeth Sugarman whose maiden name is McMaster. She still lives in Machrihanish. Her daughter Gail is very active on the forum.
DRUMLEMBLE1
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby kathy9 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:12 pm

Thx Drumlemble, yes I thought stretching the rubber band from 1760 to present day might be a little difficult. Just a little haha. Thx for your help.

Do you know, is the Ugadale Arms still in business? I remember that hotel from way back, it was huge and I remember Mary working there as receptionist. :?:
kathy9
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby DRUMLEMBLE1 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:24 pm

Kathy9,
The Ugadale closed around 1976 and was then run by Mr Charles Wilson as holiday flats. Around 2007 an American Company called Southworth bought over this hotel. the Royal in Campbeltown and the Beachcomber Bar (old Machrihanish Golf Clubhouse).They have spent millions renovating and hope to open the hotels before Easter. If you do a Google search with "Machrihanish Dunes" you can find out about what they are doing. They already completed six holiday cottages in Machrihanish (Ugadale Cottages) which get rave reviews in "Trip Advisor".
DRUMLEMBLE1
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:33 pm

Great to see people tacing family and connections! :-)

Tracy - follow this link for more information on what promises to be an exciting development for Kintyre and Machrihanish! http://www.machrihanishdunes.com/accomm ... otel.shtml Hopefully get out soon and get some photos of the development.

If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby kathy9 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:01 pm

Wow what a place. will be checking this out for vacation. I remember it having a huge entrance hall and sweeping staircase, massive dining room.

Back to the history of the Ugadale Arms - why was it built in the first place, what sort of people wanted to come to such a small village, and for what reason? It seems so far away from Glasgow, a real trek to get there. I remember it was FAR but I was small and it seemed like a forever journey.
kathy9
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby DRUMLEMBLE1 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:59 am

Kathy9,
I believe the hotel was built as a resort hotel for the golfer's who frequented Machrihanish Golf Club around the end of the 18th century. At one time Machrihanish was considered as one of the most premier golf resorts in Scotland. Today with the revamp of the Ugadale hotel, the additional golf cottages ,the new Machrihanish Dunes Golf course in addition to the original Machrihanish golf course, Machrihanish can once again be considered as one of the premier golf destinations in all of Scotland if not Europe.
DRUMLEMBLE1
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Pans Lass » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:29 am

kathy9 wrote:I am trying to trace a family who lived in MAchrihanish/Campbeltown name of Stasia Cairns, daughter Mary Eglington. Anybody recognise them? Think they were connected to the big hotel at Machrihanish. Thx :)

Hi Kathy

Just read your post ....my mum as DrumleMble1 mentioned is the only surviving MacMaster left living in Machrihanish . Stasia Caurns or Nanny Cairns as I knew her , lived next door to us for many years before moving to Campbeltown. I have many fond memories of Nanny Cairns and remember Mary and her daughter Katherine. In fact Katherine is my sister' Yvonne's Godmother but sadly we lost touch with her when she moved abroad so it would be wonderful if we could trace her too. Mum would love that . My mum was telling me that Duncan ,nanny Cairns husband, worked in the Ugadale Hotel. Mum has many stories to tell of the Ugadale in it's hey day so I am delighted she has been invited to the Grand Opening in February .

Regards Gail
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Introductions, Say Hello, Announcements or trace friends!