Rescue Tugs Campbeltown

If visiting the site just say a general hello and leave as much information as you like! Introduce yourself or announce your news - wish someone a Happy Birthday etc! You can also leave messages here if you are wishing to trace friends.

Rescue Tugs Campbeltown

Postby ClareRescueTugs! » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:47 pm

Hello - my name is Clare McComb and i am trying to find out as much as I can about the Deep Sea Rescue tugs which operated from Cambeltown during the war.In particular I'm trying to find anyone who remembers anything about Commander E G Martin - he was 6 foot 7n and a half inches tall so he would have been hard to forget. Also many many men from Brixham ( South Devon) joined up to work with the Rescue tugs and came to Campbeltown so I would love to hear if anyone remembers any of them around town.. or maybe coming to visit the family ... I know there was a ship called HMS Minona ( which Richard Burton bought as a present for Elizabeth Taylor after the war) which was where the officers used to live but other details are very hard to come by...

Anything, even the smallest detail would be exciting to hear ... they were very brave men, far from home and I'm trying to find out their stories...Commander Martin was an Ocean racing sailor in the 1920s so that might jog some memories
hoping to hear from someone soon ...

Clare
ClareRescueTugs!
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Introductions, Say Hello, Announcements or trace friends!