New member saying Hello

If visiting the site just say a general hello and leave as much information as you like! Introduce yourself or announce your news - wish someone a Happy Birthday etc! You can also leave messages here if you are wishing to trace friends.

New member saying Hello

Postby glassblower » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:44 pm

Hello, i live in South Yorkshire but was born one "Snowy day" in February 1946 at Craigard Campbeltown, my mother was born in Islay but lived in Campbeltown (Bolgam st) untill she joined the "Wrens" during the war. She met my father who was in the navy (he served some of his time at the Nimrod in Campbeltown) and married him in 1944. I dont know (must ask mum one day) how i came to be born in Campbeltown and not West Bromwich in the midlands (dad's birth place) but i am certainly glad it was the "Wee Toon". I have not missed many annual holidays in Campbeltown in the last 65 years, when i was at school i spent all my six weeks hoilday there. One time i was up there so long i finished up going to the school near the gas works and stayed with my "grannie and aunties" in Daavar Ave. I had some great pal's (dont know if i am allowed to mention name's ?) at the time and enjoyed every minute of my time spent there, we got up to allsorts of trick's (as kids do) but it was great fun. How we managed to survive in those days before "Health & Safety" i dont know, i.e. climbing down and under the old quay or hiring a "punt" from O'hara's and rowing out nearly to Trench Point without a "life vest".
looking forwards to my hoildays in Campbeltown in a few weeks, and to catching up with family and friends.

You can take the man out of Campbeltown, but you can Never take Campbeltown out of the man.
glassblower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: New member saying Hello

Postby glassblower » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:48 pm

Old brain cells playing up again, we stayed in Calton Ave not Daavar Ave, i dont think Daavar Ave and that estate had even been built then
glassblower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jdcarra » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:01 pm

glassblower wrote:Old brain cells playing up again, we stayed in Calton Ave not Daavar Ave, i dont think Daavar Ave and that estate had even been built then

Hi glassblower

The flats in the newer part of Davaar may not have been built then. I was also born in Craigard,brought up at 55 Davaar Ave then moved to 128 in the cul de sac.Those were the days :) .
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby glassblower » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:25 pm

Hi jdcarra,
where we stayed at my grannies ( Carlton Ave ) prefab we had a great view from her kitchen window of the Loch and Daavar Island, you used to get a great view of the "steamer" entering and leaving the Loch. I can remember my two ( unmarried at the time ) aunties looking out for the bus coming round the bottom of Albyn Ave then dashing across the road to catch it. I can remember them building the house's on Daavar Ave as we played on the building site when the workmen had gone home, must have been around 1952/3. I still have an aunt living on Daavar Ave no more than 30 yards from the cul de sac ( if it's the cul de sac nearest the Roading ) where you lived, small world.
glassblower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:57 am

Glassblower, welcome to the forum and have really enjoyed your stories as you recall memories from your youth. 8) It's important that memories are preserved so keep posting! 8)

glassblower wrote:I had some great pal's (dont know if i am allowed to mention name's ?) at the time and enjoyed every minute of my time spent there, we got up to allsorts of trick's (as kids do) but it was great fun.

No problems with names, I am sure people are interested. My father and his brother were brought up in the prefabs too so I like hearing stories from that era. My father is older however, born in 1938. All the best.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby glassblower » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:39 pm

Thanks for the welcome S c Dignity, bit late in replying as i was late home from work.
Regarding the prefabs i though they were wonderfull, a lot better than the "proper house" we had in England, i must ask my mum sometime as i seemed to have spent a lot of time in CN when i was under school age rather than in England. Original my mums family lived in Bolgam str but i can remember (i was about 5 years old) when my granny moved to Carlton ave (number 16), cant remember much but i do remember my two (young aunties) Mary and Florrie carrying me up to Carlton in the washing basket. When you got to the top of Albyn ave you turned right and granny's prefab was on the left at the top of (what seemed to me as a small boy) a great slope of grass. In the back garden was the old Anderson shelter and a field beyond, walking in to the prefab you entred the kitchen, she had a table under the window giving great views of the Loch and Davaar Island. The living room was at the back then the bedrooms. I have many memories of my times spent there, a great bonus was my three best pals lived just over the road. One vivid memory concerns my auntie Mary who was 9 years older than me and a "great story teller to boot". I must have been around 7 years old when she told me that she was a "tinker" and grannie had found her at the side of the road one dark night, in the prefab in pride of place on the sideboard was a round clear glass ball, Mary told me that she could see the future in this glass ball. Many's the time she told me what she could see often saying "quick take a look and you will see for yourself", ofcourse it was all made up but what wonderfull magic it was to a 7 year old.
Ken.
glassblower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Introductions, Say Hello, Announcements or trace friends!