Hello from Virginia!

If visiting the site just say a general hello and leave as much information as you like! Introduce yourself or announce your news - wish someone a Happy Birthday etc! You can also leave messages here if you are wishing to trace friends.

Hello from Virginia!

Postby Lossit Lass » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:22 am

!Happy New Year!

I'm new to the forum & wanted to say hi :)

I once lived in Campbeltown...THE loveliest place on earth :D
My Dad was stationed there with the US Navy in '81-'83. We lived at Lossit Farm in Machrihanish. I attended Campbeltown Grammar, my brother (Brett) went to Drumlemble. Altho we only lived there for a short time, it has had a lasting effect on us. We all miss Scotland/Campbeltown immensely! I was able to come back for a short visit after graduating high school in '85 & hope to return again someday!

I'm wondering if anyone here is familiar with Lossit farm, specifically High Lossit farmhouse? My brother & I are attempting to compile a history of the house/farm. We have some that we gathered while living there & would like to expand on it.

Also hoping to locate an old friend, Jill McIvor. Anyone know her whereabouts?

Thanks & I look forward to future reading & posting!!
Chrissy
Last edited by Lossit Lass on Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Suppose they held a war and nobody came?
Lossit Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ship called Dignity » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:08 pm

Christine ,

Firstly Happy New Year and welcome on board. :lol:

Secondly, I am sure there are people on here who can help you with your various requests - John A and Double A amongst others went to school in Drumlemble! 8)

I know Jill - she now lives in America! I'll get her details to you - I work with her sister Linda's husband. As for your brother Brett - I seem to recall him - what age is he?

Must go but catch you later and thanks for posting!

Regards

David
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Lossit Lass » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:40 pm

Thanks David!

Brett's 34. I'll ask him about you, as well.
I'd love to get in touch with Jill. Plz do let me know when you get her info.
Thanks so much & have a great afternoon!
Lossit Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ship called Dignity » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:04 pm

Christine,

I should get details this week so I will PM you then.

Brett won't know me as I went to school in Campbeltown but I seem to recall a Brett who was the same age as me (and he is) Don't know if he played football or golf or the likes but I can remember a Brett when I was young.

Being the same age as me he will remember the likes of Robert Wooton, Alistair Stewart (massive fella!) and Yvonne Sugarman who are all the same age and went to Drumlemble Primary.

I am going to update the Dowm Memory Lane section again so I may have some shcool photos of interest to you. If you have any please sned them to me.

Regards

David
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Lossit Lass » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:13 pm

Thanks, David...I appreciate the help!!

Those names are familiar to me, Brett probably did know them. I'll mention them to him.
Yvonne...does she have a sister, Gail? I knew a Gail Sugarman, close to my age, who lived near Jill in Machrihanish. Years ago I heard she moved to the US, too (Virginia Beach??)?

As for pictures, I'll look for some to send. Unfortunatelty, there's no order to any of them (a project that's been on my 'to do' list for a LONG time!) but I did find a couple taken there so I know I'm warm.
In the meantime, I'll keep my eyes on 'Down Mem. Ln.'!!

Thanks for keeping in touch!
Chrissy
Lossit Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:18 pm

Yes Yvonne's older sister is Gail - she was in America but is now back here. I'm sure someone will read this and mention to Gail too - if not and I see her, I will.

Back to work tomorrow so I'll ask William Wallace to get Jill's details from his wife and send them to you! 8)

Where exactly is High Lossit Farmhouse? And before anyone says I suspect it is above Lossit Farm! :wink:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Lossit Lass » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:25 am

:lol: High Lossit is about a mile UP :wink: the farm rd. from the bus turn around. There are 2 houses next to each other on the left & barns across the road. We lived in the bigger of the 2 houses, the other was a holiday rental at the time. Here's a pic I found on your(?) "Campbeltown.info" site.
2nd pic down page (view looking back down hill toward Machrihanish). We lived in house on left:

http://www.campbeltown.info/readersphot ... /index.htm

Look forward to hearing from more old friends!!
Chrissy

(((Taking a 2nd look, I see that www.campbeltown.info & www.visitkintyre.info are one & the same website)))
Lossit Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Pans Lass » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:29 pm

Hi Chrissy

Great to hear from you. I have just found out and read the emails you sent to David..

I am sure you have Jill's address by now through her brother-in-law. If not I have it too. She lives in Spotsylvannia ,VA so not too far from you.

Anyway how are you all doing ? How are you parents and Brent? I remember coming to visit you often at Lossit where you stayed. The house has not changed much over the years.

Ironicaly my Uncle Duncan was talking about your family over the xmas season and had said he had lost touch with your family a few years ago. Do you remember him...he worked at the RAF base . He is now 85 years old and keeps welll..does not venture out much anymore.

Will keep this short until you get in touch again.

Can you send me your email address.

Regards

Gail Williams (Sugarman) :lol:
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Lossit Lass » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:12 pm

:D Hi Gail!!!!
So great to hear from you, thanks for writing...I'll PM you to chat more, ok?

Chrissy
Lossit Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Lossit Lass » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:50 pm

(thanks David :D !)
Lossit Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Hello from Virginia!

Postby Rob McEwing » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:27 pm

Hello Lossit Lass

I've just found your 2006 post which said you were interested in anything about High Lossit history

I've been researching my family history and from the 1871 census have found my great grandfather Joseph McEwing, his wife Mary and seven children, including my grandfather Angus, lived in High Lossit

Does your history have any reference to them?

Rob McEwing
Rob
(Robert Wallace McEwing)
Rob McEwing
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Lossit Lass » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:58 am

Hi Rob,
I'll check with my brother...he has all the info which, honestly, still isn't much as we've put this project on the back burner for now...but I will let you know if those names are among them!
Lossit Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Lossit Lass » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:48 pm

Hey Rob...I didn't forget about you :wink:
Unfortunately we don't have any info on the names you mentioned however I'm waiting to hear a bit more from my brother that may help you along.
I would also suggest you start a whole new thread on this as there are people in this forum who either know a little more or know someone who does, & a new thread may get their attention.
& as soon as I hear from Brett again, I'll let you know, ok?
Lossit Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Lossit Lass » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:06 am

Rob,
We looked a little more but nothing about the McEwing name in what we have. Sorry :(

What I do have that you may be interested in, with regard to the house itself & a bit of it's history, is this account by Col Hector MacNeal of Ugadale:

http://www.kintyremag.co.uk/1997/07/7page2.html

I saved this article not only because it pertains to High Lossit but it also happens that my older 2nd cousin is a direct descendant of Robert the Bruce (& was given the middle name 'Bruce'). We learned about Lossit's connection to him after moving there, didn't know beforehand! She was thrilled, of course, & came to visit & we were invited to the MacNeal's home (castle really! located just below High Lossit) & shown this Brooch, among other things. It was a fascinating experience for her & us :D
Lossit Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Rob McEwing » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:56 am

Thanks very much for looking and thanks for the history of the Ugadale Brooch - very interesting. It must be great to find connections to famous Scots - I'll see where my research takes me :)

As per your suggestion, I've started a new thread: "McEwing and Wallace in the 1800's" so will see what that brings

Cheers
Rob
(Robert Wallace McEwing)
Rob McEwing
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Introductions, Say Hello, Announcements or trace friends!