Is Campbeltown football at an all time low?

Fixtures, scores, details of your club etc - also see www.southkintyresportscouncil.com

Is Campbeltown football at an all time low?

Postby smiles » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:28 pm

I watched most of the Campbeltown Pupils game today, a 6-1 home defect to Greenock and heard later the Boys were beaten 5-1 at home too. The question is in the heading, is Campbeltown football at an all time low? It wasn't too long ago that both Campbeltown sides could hold their own in amateur football but seems both clubs are really struggling.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
smiles
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Is Campbeltown football at an all time low?

Postby TYM » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:48 pm

I think we sometimes view the past through rose tinted specs. The football and the football players in years gone by always seem better.

If football here is at all time low then it is hardly surprising given the lack of employment opportunities and the increase in the number of further education opportunites. Both of these combined mean that more people in their "prime" footballing years now live away from the area, so it is only natural that some of the better players will be lost to the local teams.
TYM
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby smiles » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:11 pm

"I think we sometimes view the past through rose tinted specs. The football and the football players in years gone by always seem better."

Yes true but in this case it was!

"If football here is at all time low then it is hardly surprising given the lack of employment opportunities and the increase in the number of further education opportunites. Both of these combined mean that more people in their "prime" footballing years now live away from the area, so it is only natural that some of the better players will be lost to the local teams."

Yes very good point. When you think back to the 80s and early 90s the Shipyard alone had a squad of apprentices alone who could give any team a run for their money. Boys have been on the slide for a good few years now but the Pupils are nowhere near the force they have been. It would be interesting to see if the Pupils have ever had such a heavy home league defeat?
smiles
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Walt Jabsco » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:33 am

Valid points made here. This was the pupils first game since November so hardly surprising that they were going to struggle against the league leaders. It is interesting to note that Oban Saints are doing well in the cup, no doubt helped by the excellent all weather facility that they have which allows them to play and train 90% of the time. What do we have?
There is talent in boys and girls football I can assure you. The problem is lack of adequate facilities to take them to the next level.Next time you are going through Lochgilphead of an evening take a look at the floodlight football pitches and see how much thay are being used. When you get home take a look inthe Victoria Hall and see 30 odd kids trying to play football in a dance hall. Chalk and cheese facilties.
When I was younger you could rest assured that any Campbeltown team playing against any other Argyll team would be a hard fought derby which the wee toon would be victorious 9 times out of 10. These days are gone I am afraid.
Not to worry though, society could find the funds for a £5 milllion pounds police station :?
Walt Jabsco
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Ship called Dignity » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:25 pm

Walt Jabsco wrote:Valid points made here. This was the pupils first game since November so hardly surprising that they were going to struggle against the league leaders. It is interesting to note that Oban Saints are doing well in the cup, no doubt helped by the excellent all weather facility that they have which allows them to play and train 90% of the time. What do we have?
There is talent in boys and girls football I can assure you. The problem is lack of adequate facilities to take them to the next level.Next time you are going through Lochgilphead of an evening take a look at the floodlight football pitches and see how much thay are being used. When you get home take a look inthe Victoria Hall and see 30 odd kids trying to play football in a dance hall. Chalk and cheese facilties.

Absolutely hit the nail on the head Walt Jabsco. How can anyone expect Campbeltown to compete at the same level as everywhere else given the facilities we have in Campbeltown? We don't have flood lights never mind an All Weather Pitch! An absolute scandal in this day and age. :evil: We must be the furthest community from a 3rd Generation pitch on mainland Scotland - the nearest to us is in Oban. :shock:

The whole AWP project for Campbeltown has been swept under the carpet of the School Estate and and regardless of location the truth of the matter is this could be 6-7 years away!! So here we are 10 years after Campbeltown was identified as a priority 1 for a regional centre by the Council's Strategic Playing Field report and it could be 2015 before we see one!

In the meantime here was the state of play last February throughout Argyll

Full Size (106x66m) to (90x60m)
Oban Community Sports Field
Hermitage Academy x 2
Lochgilphead HS NPDO
Dunoon Grammar School x2
Rothesay Academy

7 a side (64x45m) to (55x37.5)
Tarbert Community Playing Field
KMMSF Tobermory
Kirkmichael Helensburgh
Lomond School (Private)
Rothesay Multi Use Games Area

5 a side (40x20) to (36x18m)
Garelochhead
Park Primary School
Tiree High School
KMMSF Tobermory
Innellan PS
Parklands Special School
Cowal Community Sports Project 4no
Lochnell SDA
Atlantis Leisure Oban
Taynuilt
Tayvallich
Dervaig

I take my hat off to those involved in football in Campbeltown, it must be a real drain given our climate and our facilities.

Here is a picture of the AWP in Oban

Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby TYM » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:10 pm

Just a pity that some of the money found for the Town Centre and Waterfront Project could not be used for an all weather surface.

With the numbers of kids currently feeding through from the Primary Schools currently falling at an alarming rate and no sign that this will change over the next 10 years, I would guess that the pool of players to choose from will further diminish.

Are there any other towns is Argyll & Bute with two teams trying to compete at this level?
Surely it is coming to the point where we have one football team representing Campbeltown again.
TYM
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:36 pm

TYM wrote:Just a pity that some of the money found for the Town Centre and Waterfront Project could not be used for an all weather surface.

Yes, there seems to be a real issue with raising money for the whole All Weather Project in Campbeltown. It needs to be taken to the next level and requires as much support as possible. It's really time to take it further than the Council and highlight it to the Government, Sport Scotland, SFA etc etc The good news is given the report from the Pupils on the matter this week in the Courier there will be a follow up article on the matter next week which will hopefully get some response, support and follow up.

More on this on the forum too soon.

TYM wrote:With the numbers of kids currently feeding through from the Primary Schools currently falling at an alarming rate and no sign that this will change over the next 10 years, I would guess that the pool of players to choose from will further diminish.

Yes, it can only twindle more unless something is changed. I know there were more children about twenty odd years ago but I can't help but think the old competitive 11 a-side youth football produced more players. The good thing in these days was there was no option but to play where you stayed and this meant more people playing. I like the small kids set-up of smaller sided games but think when they get older competitive football is required. There are some youngsters making the leap to amateur football having played very little 11 a-side football. Really just a point for discussion. (the kind of thing I would do in the pub but don't get out now... :mrgreen: )

TYM wrote:Are there any other towns is Argyll & Bute with two teams trying to compete at this level?
Surely it is coming to the point where we have one football team representing Campbeltown again.

Campbeltown is the only town in Argyll with two sides in the Amateur Football League but that is a good argument for the AWP project. 8) It's a tricky one - I still think it has its benefits but it should all be under one organisation. If we lose the Boys for example then we will never get another team in the Amateur league which could result in a drop in players. Ideally it should be one organisation with two teams - one a B team which plays in the lower leagues, nurturing the youth and feeding to the main team. The summer league also needs to come under it too acting as a stepping stone for players not stopping them.

At the end of the day we should all surely be interested in taking football forward in Campbeltown?

These are just personal views and would be good to hear others. I'm not involved in the football nowadays so might be out of touch with the issues. Quite often think these discussions would be ideal on a private forum of some kind and for all those interested in football development.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Jock Strap » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:47 pm

Given there are no all weather facilities in Campbeltown we should perhaps enter this

http://www.swampsoccer.co.uk/index.html

Jock Strap
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Mack » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:28 pm

I had the privilage of running a Pupils side that raced through the seven divisions of the Scottish Amateur Football League in the late 1970s and 1980s. Within recent memories a Pupils side won the Premier 1st Division (1998/99) and the Premier Division (1999/2000). Recent events have changed the complexities of competing in the Scottish Amateur League, non more so than the availability of the all-weather surfaces to teams from all other areas with the exception of Campbeltown.

In past times, every team suffered when the weather was at its worst; however, as you will appreciate, this is no longer the case. Campbeltown teams go into hibernation during the worst of the winter weather, while other teams keep up to speed by transferring their interests to the all weather/floodlite facility. For example Greenock played three times last week, ending with a game at Kintyre Park.

Campbeltown is still the only community in Argyll with two Premier League clubs, although this seems to carry very little weight with the powers that be. The football fraternity will tough it out, and, I'm sure, will be seen to return to form with the return of the better weather. Maybe to late to make an impression on their respective leagues, only the provision of better facilities will help sustain our community's challenge for the honours in future years.

SATURDAY 28TH FEB 2009. SCOTTISH AMATEUR PREMIER LEAGUE RESULT. ST JOSEPHS 2 CAMPBELTOWN PUPILS 2.
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby smiles » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:50 pm

Ship called Dignity wrote "I still think it has its benefits"

And which benefits would that be? :roll:
smiles
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ship called Dignity » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:19 pm

smiles wrote:Ship called Dignity wrote "I still think it has its benefits"

And which benefits would that be? :roll:

Read my post again after the word benefits... :wink:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby smiles » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:18 am

Alright got you now :oops: I do agree the football in Campbeltown needs to get its act together and act as one voice. The days of the Pupils and Boys both doing well in the leagues are now a thing of the past.

Youth football seems to work well in masses until they hit their teens and then they are weeded out. Seems to only be an interest in the good players or the ones who think they are good. My two boys played football until they went to the grammar then lost interest mainly because their face (or should I say boots!) did't fit. Perhaps we always look back on the days gone by with rose tinted glasses but I was never the next Law but the set-up allowed me to play 11 aside football up until I was 17. A couple of my mates went on to play for the Pupils and I reckon when they were 13 they didn't stand out. But they were committed and by the time they got to amateur football they stepped up to the commitment.

The good old days indeed......
smiles
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby smiles » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:57 pm

So what happened to the Pupils b team? Heard today they have folded?
smiles
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby vanjan25 » Fri May 13, 2011 12:18 pm

Great result for the Pupils on Wednesday night without even playing, with Centre beating Glencastle Sparta 5-2: a win for the Pupils tomorrow and Sparta are down, with Centre away at Busby. All to play for!
vanjan25
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Swanseajock » Fri May 20, 2011 9:09 pm

smiles wrote:So what happened to the Pupils b team? Heard today they have folded?

Well? Has anyone got the answer to this question :?:
Swanseajock
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Next

Return to Sports news in Kintyre