Machrihanish Golf Club

Fixtures, scores, details of your club etc - also see www.southkintyresportscouncil.com

Machrihanish Golf Club

Postby campbeltownx » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:23 pm

I see on The machrihanish golf club website that the golf week is no more. Seems a strange decision taken by the committee. Surely with Mach dunes opening, nexts years golf week had the potential to be one of the busiest and best in recent years. It's a shame they took this decision without consulting members in some form. Anyone have any info or background on this? Surely the am-am on the saturday is worth keeping as it must be one of the busiest days of the year for the golf club. Already thinking about cancelling my membership!
campbeltownx
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: Machrihanish Golf Club

Postby kc02dmc » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:09 am

This has been a very hasty decision led by the Captain, Jim Innes, who sees it as non viable. It does not make as much money as Green fees for a normal Week but it brings money into the Area and promotes the Machrihanish Golf Club.
They received several letters from Members, including me, wanting Golf Week to continue, but to no avail, it is cancelled. How many letters did they receive wanting it cancelled ? Not one !!! The George Durnan will continue Tuesday and Thursday and the Am-Am( Bar Takings £££) will go ahead on the Saturday, all Members Only Competitions. Also thinking about cancelling my Membership as I will be paying £166 to play solely in the Am-Am.
As a Non Member there are a few Opens through the year and a member can sign you on for a £5er.

With Machrihanish Dunes opening, sometime soon there is a lack of vision from the Golf Club, not a New Concept !!

There would be potential to expand the Golf Week, if Profit is the only motivation then all Competitions that dont Make Money should be cancelled !!!!

It will be reviewed at future Committee Meetings, and could be reinstated or lost forever.

Generally, The Committee do a great job, but on this occasion a HUGE mistake has been made.
kc02dmc

Postby Jock Strap » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Rather sad when a members club puts green fees before its own members and promoting the golf course.

Obviously committees have to make decisions but surely the club belongs to the members and have to listen to them? The golf week isn't promoted that well is it? Perhaps they should look to that first before cutting something many existing members enjoy? :?
Jock Strap
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby maxmix » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:24 pm

Committees nowadays dont seem to have the Get up and go as they did years ago....

It is a shame this has been cancelled, lets hope the Christmas dance goes ahead this year....

It was cancelled last years due to lack of ticket sales, if I remember correctly....

More promoting needing done by the committee somewhere.... Especially with the new course appearing !

maxmix
maxmix
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby emil horwatich » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:04 pm

This is very shortsighted.... am checking airfares right now for Golf Week and I googled Golf Week and saw this Forum. There are a handful of us Americans that come over at least annually and usually for golf week....for 2009 I was to join mates from Boston, Phoenix and Chicago.

Golf Week has been an excellent way to showcase Machrihanish....I can't tell you how many people I've told about Golf Week. Very Unfortunate
emil horwatich
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby DRUMLEMEN1 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:50 am

I refer to the various comments about the Machrihanish Golf week. One of the problems I believe with the set up of the competitions has been the separation of visitors and members in the competitions. I do not believe it is very enjoyable to play in a competition when a round of golf takes over 5 hours.The locals usually complain that the visitor's hold the course up when this happens. I believe that if the Machrihanish Golf week is to be resurrected a new format should be set up which is interesting to all competitor's and that both members and visitor's are mixed. One very successful week I have witnessed is when the Carnegie Shield is held at Royal Dornoch.
The last time I played in the Machrihanish Golf week I noticed that nearly all the social functions in the clubhouse during the week were attended by the visitor's and very few member's. The golf week should not be a discrimination between visitors and members.
DRUMLEMEN1
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Return to Sports news in Kintyre