Jimmy Lay wins BBC Scotland's Unsung Sports Hero of the Year

Fixtures, scores, details of your club etc - also see www.southkintyresportscouncil.com

Jimmy Lay wins BBC Scotland's Unsung Sports Hero of the Year

Postby the ice maiden » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:45 pm

Jimmy Lay has won the above title for his volunteer work with the Scottish Women's Basketball league in Glasgow. He will be presented with his award at his teams training on Friday by Liz McColgan. They will then record a short video detailing Jimmy's work. He then has to attend the BBC Sports Personality of the Year awards in Birmingham, where he will be up against other finalists to see who will be crowned the UK winner.
Some of you will know Jimmy better from his years of playing football with the Campbeltown Pupils. He moved onto basketball after retiring(or was it a lifetime ban) from football. Jimmy is now a Principal Teacher of PE at Oban High, though still travels to Glasgow twice a week to coach. This is a great achievement for Jimmy as he has devoted a lot of his time over the years to try to encourage young people into sports.
We are very proud of our own Possil Pie-man!!!
the ice maiden
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby general jack o'niell » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:06 pm

my memories are more of his time as "head boy" in the school, not good, not good at all, he was born to be a PE teacher, a bit power crazy when it came to us smokers, if you were going to be caught you would rather it was ivor watson or keith miller, rather than the dreaded jimmy lay, i wonder does he still have the same haircut

i have better memories of his father jan, who once ate two dinners (one after the other, good big gigot chops too) aboard our boat at kennacraigs when he was working for a local engineering firm, that man could fair put away the potatoes

so sports personality of the year will be worth watching after all this year, i hope he wins, mind you, my knee disagrees
general jack o'niell

Re: Jimmy Lay wins BBC Scotland's Unsung Sports Hero of the

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:16 pm

the ice maiden wrote:Jimmy Lay has won the above title for his volunteer work with the Scottish Women's Basketball league in Glasgow. He will be presented with his award at his teams training on Friday by Liz McColgan. They will then record a short video detailing Jimmy's work. He then has to attend the BBC Sports Personality of the Year awards in Birmingham, where he will be up against other finalists to see who will be crowned the UK winner.
Some of you will know Jimmy better from his years of playing football with the Campbeltown Pupils. He moved onto basketball after retiring(or was it a lifetime ban) from football. Jimmy is now a Principal Teacher of PE at Oban High, though still travels to Glasgow twice a week to coach. This is a great achievement for Jimmy as he has devoted a lot of his time over the years to try to encourage young people into sports.
We are very proud of our own Possil Pie-man!!!

Excellent news Ice Maiden - good post and great stuff.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:17 pm

IM

Where can I get a copy of the photo that appeared in the Oban Times and Courier last week?
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby IainJ » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:25 pm

Davie if contact Joanne at the Courier I am sure she will help you out with this.

Iain
IainJ
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:36 pm

IainJ wrote:Davie if contact Joanne at the Courier I am sure she will help you out with this.

Iain

Thanks - will do.

Found this article with small photo.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/low/scotland/7112695.stm
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby joe_ruesgen » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:03 pm

Spoke to my mum the other day about my uncle Jimmy winning his award and going down to the Sports Personality Event in Birmingham. Really proud of him and I think he thoroughly deserved the award for all his efforts and what he has done for the sport and the people he has worked with over the years. My mum says that he is going to be seated next to Lewis Hamilton and Steven Gerrard...lucky git!
joe_ruesgen
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Jimmy Lay wins BBC Scotland's Unsung Sports Hero of the Year

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:15 am

Sadden to hear today of the sudden and untimely passing of Jimmy at just 54 years old.

Lovely. fitting eulogy on Jimmy can be found here http://thefacial.co.uk/wordpress/2011/1 ... 1957-2011/

Thoughts are with the family in Campbeltown and further afield.
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby the ice maiden » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:20 am

thanks so much, we are all taking great comfort in the beautiful tributes people are sending about Jimmy, he was one in a million x
the ice maiden
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Swanseajock » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:14 am

My God, I am shocked by this news. I started in the Grammar with his sister Lorraine, when Jimmy was head boy. This is too young to go. My thoughts and best wishes are with all his family and friends.
Swanseajock
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Sports news in Kintyre