Wee Bobby Willan heading for the States

Fixtures, scores, details of your club etc - also see www.southkintyresportscouncil.com

Wee Bobby Willan heading for the States

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:03 pm

Been meaning to get more detail on this - and will probably appear in the Courier - but wee Bobby Willan from Carradale is heading to the USA to play in the kids version of the Ryder Cup.

Can't remember the details but I believe he is representing Britain and Ireland. Only 7 years old!

Perhaps the next Tiger Woods in the making and all the way from Carradale 8) 8)

All the best to Bobby and his family on his visit - they fly out Saturday and no doubt we will hear more on their return.

If anyone has more detail of this can they post?

I've the Sports Council minute to do and I need detail! :lol:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby general jack o'niell » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:03 am

i see paul lawrie's son beat him in the recent final, would have made for an interesting "does your dad play golf?" moment, that and peter thompson's visit to carradale made it a big week for the village.

best of luck to the wee man for his trip to pinehurst, beautiful courses, both No1 and No2, i've shot in the low sixties over No2 pinehurst many times, but only on "tiger woods" on the PS2
general jack o'niell

Postby Sweltered » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:18 am

Is that in North Carolina?
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:24 am

Here is a copy of the story from the Courier website

http://www.campbeltowncourier.co.uk/new ... e_USA.html

Wee Bobby’s on his way to the USA

Courtesy of Willan Family

CARRADALE Golf Club’s talented eight-year-old golfer Wee Bobby Willan has just returned from Srathmore Golf Course where he was competing in the regional finals of the HSBC UK Wee Wonders golf tournament.

This usually attracts more than 4000 entries from throughout the UK and those are whittled down to the top 10 in each age group via qualifying rounds.

Wee Bobby was competing in the seven-to-eight-year-olds section and having made it to the Grand Final last year he was keen to get there again.

Despite some great golf a mistake on his second last hole left Wee Bobby with the runner-up place having narrowly being beaten by another rising star eight-year-old Michael Lawrie of Royal Aberdeen golf Club and son of former British open champion Paul Lawrie.

Undeterred, Wee Bobby was back out practising at Carradale this week because on Sunday 29th he heads to Pinehurst, North Carolina USA with the Great Britain and Ireland Wee Wonders team to play in the US Junior World Championships, a trip he, is very excited about.

He said: ‘It’ll be fun to play in America and have Dad carry my bag.’

The members of Carradale Golf club are very proud of Wee Bobby’s achievement and would like to wish him the vary best of luck as he flies the Carradale Golf Club flag in America.

He’ll be going with his Dad, also Bobby, Mum Audrey and 11-year-old sister Gemma, his biggest fan.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby chuckncherry » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:32 pm

Will look out for him on the local news. Fantastic opportunity and getting good coverage over here.
chuckncherry
chuckncherry
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby abbey craig » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:36 pm

i`m ferr chuffed for the wee man

8 year old and of to america to play golf soooperb

best of luck bobby your a star
abbey craig
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Sports news in Kintyre