All-weather surface - sooner the better for Campbeltown

Fixtures, scores, details of your club etc - also see www.southkintyresportscouncil.com

All-weather surface - sooner the better for Campbeltown

Postby vanjan25 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:40 pm

Dear Forum,

The most obvious argument for the imminent construction of an all-weather surface in Campbeltown in relation to Campbeltown sport, and in this case football, can be made by the comparison of Campbeltown Pupils' double-header against Port Glasgow OBU in recent weeks. Due to cup competitions elsewhere featuring neither side, the only possible fixture was an away game for the Pupils at Port OBU.
The first game at Kintyre Park, on 24th September, saw Port Glasgow score early, so early that it didn't have any bearing on the final result. Fraser Wylie eased any early nerves and the Pupils' physical and technical superiority throughout the second half resulted in a justified 4-1 scoreline.
On Saturday (October 15th) the match at Port Glasgow was played on a 4G surface, and the unnatural bounce of the ball, and the extraordinarily tight park benefited the home team; Campbeltown Pupils struggled throughout the first half because of their relative inexperience on the surface compared to their opponents who, throughout the winter months at least, doubtless train on the surface and are well familiarised with it. Eventually the Pupils won the game, but with far less ease than in September at Kintyre Park.
As it stands, synthetic surfaces will retain this alien property to 'town teams, from Coca-Cola 7s with Dalintober or Castlehill to a Premier Two match with the Pupils! The lack of one undermines the quality of Campbeltown sports-people (in this case footballers) who, until they spend time away, are not at all exposed to different surfaces than grass.
There are a number of people whose tireless campaigning for an all-weather surface has made its proposed construction a palpable possibility, so my point here is hardly out of the blue! It's more of a sincere hope that, when the construction is finished in 2012, all who want to use the pitch, no less than those who want to pursue football at an amateur level in Campbeltown, can get used to what a great facility it will be all year-round, and certainly in the winter months.
One day it will be no more incredible than our shiny-new swimming pool and gym was in 2006, simply a symbol of what we as a sport-loving community have longed for and deserve. Sports teams will, without any doubt, see plenty benefits in the results its use will bring.
vanjan25
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: All-weather surface - sooner the better for Campbeltown

Postby joe_ruesgen » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:01 pm

I also want to point out that it is not only football that will benefit from the construction of the all-weather pitch. The fields over here in the US (all of which are 4G turf) are lined with fields for other sports such as lacrosse, hockey, american football, rugby, etc. There is no reason why the town's field can't do the same and further increase its marketability. This is also my hope as it shouldn't only be football that is promoted in the area.

I have played literally thousands of times on the turf fields and I have to say that they are great and will absolutely make sense. After a brief familiarization period (it doesn't bounce too high if you pass the ball on the ground afterall!) you hardly notice a difference. Couple the fact you can play all year long on it, with the fact that the maintenance fees are pretty much zero, it will be a very sound investment for all of the local community.

Enjoy Campbeltown, you will not be disappointed!

P.S - Will the field have lighting? I would assume so to allow for training/games in the short winter days.
joe_ruesgen
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Reidiboy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:43 am

We have a 4G surface up here in Thurso and its brilliant. It still amkes me laugh when people refer to it as the "all weather pitch" as there have been many occasions when we have had games called off due to the weather.

They do take a bit of getting used to; the different way the ball bounces and the fact that the ball doesnt seem to hold up as much as it does on grass. The only bad point is that the small pieces of black rubber thats through the fibres of the pitch end up in almost every possible nook and cranny :oops: !
I am not completely useless............................... I can be used as a bad example!
Reidiboy
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:50 pm

joe_ruesgen wrote:P.S - Will the field have lighting? I would assume so to allow for training/games in the short winter days.

Yes

Good article Vanjan25 - you should submit more often! 8)
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby vanjan25 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:52 pm

Dear Joe-Ruesgen and Reidiboy,

Thanks for your replies. You guys both know from experience how much it would help sport! I wasn't being exclusive to football, rugby and other clubs will definitely see the benefits from it. The footballing analogy just got me thinking!

Going back to that comment about the different bounce of the ball - we all want champagne football! To be honest it was the Port making the ball bounce! We cut through them twice, took our two best chances, both entirely on the ground dribbling around the 'keeper!

Lastly, apologies the for the inaccurate 'all-weather' comment. I've been down to uni training at 8 o clock on a chilly December morning to see us playing on the hockey surface because the rubber crumb is iced over, or worse still at that time of the day, cajoled into the gym. In context, it is a temporary inconvenience when the cold snap hits and not a year-in, year-out problem of cancellation whenever there is a rainy day!
The surface will create a sports venue in town far more inviting and enjoyable than tempting people to come out on dark nights to train by streetlight!
vanjan25
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:14 am

Not sure 4G surfaces have the black rubber balls so must be 3G you are playing on? I remember attending a meeting with PMR the Leisure Consultants who did the work for the Council on taking this forward and they were adamant there is no such thing as 4G, just different flavours of 3G. Always thought there must be and 4G is now the next step where no black rubber balls are needed.

The town's pitch will be 3G and I've heard, as it will be the most up to date type of 3G will be amongst the best parks in the west coast of Scotland.
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby joe_ruesgen » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:04 am

The little black pellets that help make up the turfs surface will not be a problem at all, just as Reidiboy mentioned before the worst things is they get into your socks/boots/bum etc.

If that's the worst thing that comes with it, then I would say it is a pretty good surface to play on.
joe_ruesgen
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:18 pm

Just to highlight the project programme

17th August date for submission of pre-qualification tenders.

12th September invitations to tender to be issued.

Feb 2012 – Sod cutting ceremony

Late Feb/ early March – start on site (due to weather critical elements of the build)

June – completion date

June/ July – 6 week test period

Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Sports news in Kintyre