Tomorrow v Centre & End of Season Run-In

Fixtures, scores, details of your club etc - also see www.southkintyresportscouncil.com

Tomorrow v Centre & End of Season Run-In

Postby vanjan25 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:37 pm

Hello anyone interested in Campbeltown football,

First of all please forgive me for any As that become Qs or letters that become irrelevant apostrophes: I am cursed with a French keyboard in the bowels of SciencesPo in the 7th district of Paris!

Checking the Campbeltown Pupils' fixtures as I do regularly on the SAFL website of a Sunday or Monday, I have no doubt that tomorrow sees the most important match of the season so far for the 'A' side in Premier Division One. Now, you may think that being on the Continent, and playing a bit of amateur football myself while studying here, I have forgotten all about the team I spent the autumn of 2010 lining-up for in both A and B formats!

It would be with a guilty conscience, and secondly with naïvety that I extracate myself completely from my hometown club's fortunes.

A run of ten straight defeats in the league has left me worried for the team and its players vis-à-vis relegation, a great number of whom are obviously close friends and long-time team-mates! Therefore the emotional aspect doesn't require any more explanation.

I would also like to think that our fantastic opening run of three consecutive wins will count for something at the end of the season. The team showed resilience in the very first match of the season (coincidentally against tomorrow's opponents Centre) when we came from two-down at the break to win 3-2. That said, the 5-1 victory against Kings Park Rangers was an excellent performance, and the 2-1 win away at Busby that followed it was even more impressive, but this result as I mentioned to a team-mate during the week on the phone, coincided with my first week of uni back at Stirling: quite alarming to consider that 11th September 2010 marks the last 'A' team LEAGUE victory.

I hope secondly that my team-mates can pull through for the health of the club, and for the respectability of Campbeltown football and as individual players in relation to the SAFL, as a drop to the 3rd tier would be an unfair reflection of the ability of Campbeltown footballers. I firmly believe there are those with technical quality whose skills would be better ehxibited in Premier Division One, and with the future in mind, the Premier Division itself. In the face of the 'A' team's current plight that perhaps seems an absurd observation, and I have heard opinions towards the phenomenon of 'finding their level'. In my opinion, with something resembling a best possible team, the Pupils 'A' side can pick up the points sufficient for a berth in Premier Division One for season 2011/12.

So, to conclude, I'd like comments on the issue, and to know what should be done in the form of a review of Campbeltown Pupils' first campaign in the SAFL. My position is clear: in June there should be discussion and review of where the season was successful and elements that did not in fact work. Currently 1341km from Campbeltown according to my friends at google maps, I'm further away than most who will have thoughts of the Pupils' fortunes tomorrow, but I hope as much as anyone that they will earn 3 points and more will follow into May and the finality of the season. That's the theory anyway.

Put into practice, please!
vanjan25
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: Tomorrow v Centre & End of Season Run-In

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:38 pm

You'll be happy to hear vanjan25 that the Pupils won 3-1 on Saturday thanks to a brace from Gary Grumoli and an absolutely stunning over head kick from Robin Barr. It took me by surprise so much that I stop taking photos just before it!!! :( One of the best amateur goals I have seen in a long time! :mrgreen:
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Sports news in Kintyre