Pupils - Boys Merger?

Fixtures, scores, details of your club etc - also see www.southkintyresportscouncil.com

Pupils - Boys Merger?

Postby Ship called Dignity » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:07 pm

joe_ruesgen wrote:I am just wondering if the Pupils and the Boys will afterall be merging or not next season? If they are, will they be changing their name at all and what would it be? I was wondering that if they did change their name would it mean that they would have to start from the bottom division again? If this is the case, would they not be better to keep the name as Campbeltown Pupils as it would mean they would still be able to compete in the premier division....that is if they stay up, of course.

I'll start a new thread on this one as it is worth a subject heading on its own! :D

There were discussions at the end of last season about this Joe but nothing really has happened since - just general chit chat.

Personally, for the good of football in Campbeltown, it is the only way forward. Both teams have struggled with numbers for a few years now and this only seems to be getting worse. There appears to be a whole generation of football missed with both teams primarily made up of men over 30 and under 20! :wink:

Again, my own thoughts are ideally there should be one club with two teams. The second team would basically act as a feeder and backup to the first team. As one club it is far easier to fund and administer as well as getting the whole area behind you.

The question is whether there are enough bodies to support a second team? I know a number of the younger ones like myself are contemplating giving it up this year plus a number of the younger younger ones ( :P ) will probably leave the town for further education or leave just because they believe the grass is greener on the other side! :wink:

Please post your thoughts on this....
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ranald » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:47 pm

Have been thinking about a response to this for a while cos I wasn't really sure how I felt.

I reckon what happens depends on how many willing players there will be next season.

The way things seem to have been going though I'd be amazed if there are enough players for two 'senior' sides and an u19 team or whatever.

If there is to be 'merger' of any sort I guess what I think would be the best way forward would be to form am 'adult' side and look at the possibility of trying to get a team entered into an u19 or u21 league or whatever, in the way that Oban Saints have done.

That will probably be a lot easier said than done though, as I can't imagine there would be too many teams willing to travel all the way down here.

It might also be a bit late to get into a league for next season, but I suppose you never know until you ask.

Hopefully if the summer league gets up and running the teams in it could help to produce a few more players for the amateur league team(s).

I would think that now might be the time to get people sat round the table to discuss things and to find out just how many people plan on playing regularly next season.
Ranald
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Rabmacd » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:56 pm

Ranald,
I agree that there should be early consultation to "test the water" and "see how the land lies". (Pardon the puns, but is that not how you journos fill the pages) :P

I think that both teams should put their cards on the table (there I go again), but you should be careful to include everyone in the process. For example, is there a general assumption that the Boys under 19 team will "go with the flow"? ( I just can't stop it now!!).

From experience, it used to be a 100% given that teams would continue into the next season with most, if not all, of the previous season's squad. Recent summers have seen the retiral of key players from both teams, as well as a steady flow out of the town of what would have been regarded as future stars, as a result of University placements or the promise of jobs outwith the confines of Campbeltown.

The numbers at youth level are increasing again, as a result of the good work done by the coaches at ten to fourteen years old and I can see a change again in the amount of players coming through. The difficult part is keeping the boys from fourteen to eighteen interested, until they are ready for the rigours of the senior game.

I think that both teams should sit down together and try to work out a way forward whether it be with one , two or whatever number of teams. The general decline over the last three or four seasons should be addressed for the sake of SAFL football in Campbeltown.

Just an observation, from a spectators point of view
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Walt Jabsco » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:04 pm

well said Rab. No disrespect to the boys that are playing in both teams just now, but I think it is fair to say that there are a few mediocre players getting a game week in week out due to lack of numbers. I think that youth should be given a chance as when you don't get a game due to ageing players relying on past glories young players tend to chuck it :cry:
Well done to the wee man for putting something back in to the game with his youth team :D
Walt Jabsco
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Ranald » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:04 pm

I agree with everything you say Rab and I'd also add that before any decision is made everyone should be absolutely sure about what it is they want.

Knowing the difficulties both teams have experienced over the years with SAFL officials I'd want to be very sure of what the plan was before withdrawing a team from the league or agreeing to one team accepting a place outwith the Premier sections, because once an Argyll team is out I can't see them getting back in without a fight.

I think EVERYONE at the clubs should be asked what they want because it is the players who make up the clubs, not just the office bearers etc.
Ranald
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Fitba

Postby Ship called Dignity » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:02 pm

Aye good points - its got the debate going and before anyone says anything the views on here are personal views and not those expressed by the clubs etc.

Ranald - I am sure both teams would discuss this with everyone involved - if anything ever gets discussed!

The one problem with having one senior team and say an under 19 team is anyone who plays in the Under 19 team cannot play for the senior team - at all - without de-registering from the Under 19s and registering with the SAFL. Additionally, the other problem is it leaves a gap for those who are not under 19 and are not one of the top 14 players - e.g. me! :D In theory - chasing guys who are wanting to play football away.

There may be more benefit in having one club with a second team acting as a feeder to the first team - giving the youth a chance to play at a competitive level - just as Walt Jabsco :!: says.

Anyway, it is good to get views and discussion - it can only help take football in Campbeltown and Kintyre forward.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Fitba

Postby Ranald » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:03 pm

Davie P wrote:Aye good points - its got the debate going and before anyone says anything the views on here are personal views and not those expressed by the clubs etc.

I meant to add that bit myself actually!

Didn't realise the U19s rule right enough, that would change things a fair bit.

I'm just worried that if nothing is sorted out soon a lot of our players might not be there next season and we'll struggle even more than we - the Boys - have this year, or even worse, 'do a shamrock' and fold.
Ranald
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby doogs8 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:06 pm

Don't disagree with anything said already, BUT looking at it realistically I can't see now how there can be two teams next season regardless of how you do it.
(Most) of the younger ones with potential are going to Uni, and with more older ones retiring :cry: - there, have put it in writing! - there is quite simply not enough players good enough.

Years ago, a lot of guys good enough to play didnt bother due to the commitments involved but there was always enough to train and play. Nowadays, its pick and choose when/if you want to train and as the numbers to choose from are limited, most weeks you can still get picked - especially away.

I always said when our age group stopped, the problems would start simply because of the decline of football in the area up until the soccer centre etc started. Added problem now is of course young guys leaving the area.

Think the best you'll get is building it up again if a league can get going locally, with one amateur team.

am off to play golf.................................. :D
doogs8
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Ranald » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:14 pm

doogs8 wrote:Years ago, a lot of guys good enough to play didnt bother due to the commitments involved but there was always enough to train and play. Nowadays, its pick and choose when/if you want to train and as the numbers to choose from are limited, most weeks you can still get picked - especially away.

Probably the most valid point yet - there might be enough bodies for two teams, but there might not be much competition for places or strength in depth and unless these two things can be addressed it's unlikely that two strong teams can be put on the park each Saturday.

From a Boys point of view I don't think we've put the same team on the park two games in a row (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!) this season due to people being unavailable for whatever reason, or maybe just not fancying it or whatever. That doesn't exactly help the performances.
Ranald
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Sports news in Kintyre