Walks in Kintyre

New feature to the forum aimed at encouraging you to share your knowledge of walks throughout Kintyre.

Walks in Kintyre

Postby paulwebster » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:23 pm

Just a note to announce that Walkhighlands has just set up a free guide to walking in Kintyre, including the Kintyre Way, with free OS maps, waypoints etc.

Kintyre walks

The Kintyre Way

Gigha walks

Happy walking 8)
paulwebster
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Walks in Kintyre

Postby slack heads forever » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:29 pm

hi there, i'm totally new to the forum, this is a first time reply, was looking at your walk guide for glenramskill, i'm interested to pick your brains re farther up your track to the trig point and beyond ultimately, joining onto the WEE TOON TRAILS on bengullion, with the intention of coming down that way, FAST, YES!!! iam a biker!!! the silent scurge of hillwalkers( so i'm told) i've always accesed the trig via the road at the lear side, (you'll know the one) but its a slog and a half wi a 36odd pound bike clinging round your shoulders, you got any hidden tracks up that way that would ease the access
slack heads forever
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Coxy » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:28 pm

slack heads forever wrote:hi there, i'm totally new to the forum, this is a first time reply, was looking at your walk guide for glenramskill, but its a slog and a half

You got that right 8)

Their used to be a well defined track, no more then a deer track now to the top of the glen, unfortunately not to the trig. Mostly bog on the plateau with deep heather in summer. Can access the cycle track through a pass which you can see from the trig which takes you towards the forrest alongside a burn.

Tried it, wish to f---k id left the bike though :wink:
Coxy
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby slack heads forever » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:30 pm

i've tried to find the paths by logging the grid ref onto a gps then finding them that way, but ALAS NO JOY TO BE HAD!!! its got great potential for a loop via the toon trails with the exit point at glenramskill (more fun coming down that way) major death grip an go for it!!! THERE SEEMS TO BE A BOARD FOR EVERYTHING ON THIS FORUM, WHY AINT THERE A DEDICATED ONE FOR BIKES/BIKERS/ ROUTES AND GENERAL SHOWING OF SILLY FACE PLANTS!! RANT RANT
slack heads forever
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Coxy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:28 pm

slack heads forever wrote: its got great potential for a loop via the toon trails

Too right, unfortunately it would cost a lot of money to complete. I had a very minor involvement when the forest enterprise constructed the cycle track on the Ben, they funded the whole lot including bridges and north shore, they even showed us how to use Mcleods to repair the track etc and they did a great job i think. :wink:

Don't know if they would be willing to continue the track (given the costs involved) to the trig or even to the peak above the loch "as has been suggested".

But you're right, a plod to the trig and an arse shattering descent would be fantastic :twisted:
Coxy
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Walking in Kintyre