Kintyre Way

New feature to the forum aimed at encouraging you to share your knowledge of walks throughout Kintyre.

Kintyre Way

Postby Sweltered » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:54 am

m
Last edited by Sweltered on Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Article

Postby Mary G » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:46 am

This looks like it:

http://www.budgettravel.com/bt-dyn/cont ... 01580.html
http://www.budgettravel.com/bt-dyn/cont ... 01127.html

minus the pictures, it seems, from Sweltered's description.
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Kintyre Way

Postby spangles » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:50 am

Sweltered wrote:PS. I "acquired" the magazine

No need to feel guilty about "acquiring" it. They were piles of them in every hotel lobby last year. Free for the taking away.

S
spangles

Postby Machrihanish » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:17 pm

I too have noticed quite a few articles about the Kintyre Way, seem to be doing a great publicity job and I hope it gets many visitors :) Great work :)
Machrihanish
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jackiefulton » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:22 pm

Our Caledonian Challenge team used the KintyreWay and other local forestry tracks and paths as we built up the miles in preparation for heading off to walk 54 miles of the West Highland Way.

Now that the Challenge is past for 2008 I am keen to keep up the miles - anyone interested in folowing some of the walks that we used or practice - let me know - hoping to organise some local long walks over the next few months.. maybe even building up to the Caledonian Challenge in 2009
jackiefulton
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:25 pm

Couple of short videos on You Tube showing the Kintyre Way and work on part of the stretch between Machrihanish and Southend.

Anyone care to share their experiences of the Kintyre Way? With the 5th anniversary of the Kintyre Forum coming up does anyone fancy completing some of the way ths year? :mrgreen:

If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:02 pm

Some really nice pics taken in this You Tube video.

If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby SARID » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:51 pm

Yesterday, Aug. 18th, my two grand-daughters aged 11 and 13.accompanied by their Dad,followed part of the Kintyre Way from Brackley,North of Carradale over the hill to Tayinloan. They carried a 3 man tent and all the equipment needed for an overnight stay at the camping ground at journey's end. They described the walk as great fun, but said they were very tired by the finish.
VERY WELL DONE GIRLS !
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:04 am

Has anyone been from Ballygroggan (above Machrihanish) round to Southend? According to the map it's 14 miles, and I was wondering if the terrain would allow you to attempt it on a mountain bike :?
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:55 pm

I meant to reply to your post before now Sheik. I think there are parts of the route not suitable for a mountain bike and I am not sure that they are looking to promote people cycling the route but I'm sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong. The start of that section from Machrihanish to The Inneanns (spelling) could probably be cycled but the next part is quite rough. Hope you enjoyed your mokfest weekend, was nice to see you and Little Miss Sheik :D
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby russanros » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:02 am

Since arriving here at the start of last April, we've enjoyed the sections from Southend upto Carradale, and looking forward to doing over to Tayinloan next but waiting for more daylight!

I am a mountainbiker also and would say the bit round the cliffs at largiebaan would not be suitable, and possibly outright dangerous, there is a forest trail that comes up from the road near Dalsmirren, (we used it to splilt the Southend to Machrihanish section into 2 more family friendly lengthed walks.) looking at the map this then follows round into the mull of Kintyre road but I dont know whether it is cycleable all the way.

There are no recognised rights of way in Scotland as there are in England and Wales, and access (by foot) is generally unrestricted but I am not sure how or whether this transfers to bikes (I would like to know?) :wink:

I'd say that the section round Largiebaan is one of the most impressive bits of walking I've done anywhere in the UK 8) , with the possible exception of some of the walks I've done on the Isle of Skye.

If asked to suggest an improvement I would say less road walking, some bits probably cant be avoided, but of the bits I've done if there I'd be looking to find non road routes on the bits between Southend and where the way diverges of the Dalsmerran road, and the section between Machrihanish and Campbeltown (would a path along the bank the Machrihanish Water be inconceivable ending up somewhere near the Moy?) - The bit from Saddell to Torrisdale is quite pleasant and the road not too fast or busy- I'm not sure I fancy the Tayinloan to Clachan bit, but will probably do it anyway for completeness! :)
russanros
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Walking in Kintyre