Walking in Kintyre

New feature to the forum aimed at encouraging you to share your knowledge of walks throughout Kintyre.

Walking in Kintyre

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:47 pm

I was just wondering if there are many people out there willing to exchange information on walks round Kintyre?

There must be an abundance of knowledge from walkers who take to the hills, coasts etc of Kintyre which could be shared?

Even just tips etc

Any thoughts?
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mary G » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:37 pm

Great idea ... it strikes me that that clever web tool for mapping runs would be a helpful tool to collate such walks.
http://www.mapmyrun.com/. I don't suppose that there is anything to stop people using it for walks as well as runs.
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:29 pm

Thanks Mary. Yes, I was just wondering over the holidays - when seeing so many people out walking (number of them on the way to the pub I might add!) that there is a wealth of knowledge on walks that could be shared.

Could even merit its own thread like MOKRUN!

So, anyone for starters? 8)
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:13 pm

I'm very interested in this.

We should try and get Angus Martin's booklet 14 walks in South Kintyre on here in some form, it is very good indeed.

I have walked from the The Mull of Kintyre from the car park above the lighthouse really, to Machrihanish, the Beachcomber really! twice.

Both times on the first Sunday in May, any later and the bracken would be getting high. It is a very interesting and challenging walk. I think it took about 8 hours but that included lots of stops and detours to CRagaig and The Ennans bay.
And there is lots more than that to see....I would reccomend it..but you will need a map and compass and good weather.
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:50 am

4th gen Suthen' wrote:I'm very interested in this.

We should try and get Angus Martin's booklet 14 walks in South Kintyre on here in some form, it is very good indeed.

I have walked from the The Mull of Kintyre from the car park above the lighthouse really, to Machrihanish, the Beachcomber really! twice.

Both times on the first Sunday in May, any later and the bracken would be getting high. It is a very interesting and challenging walk. I think it took about 8 hours but that included lots of stops and detours to CRagaig and The Ennans bay.
And there is lots more than that to see....I would reccomend it..but you will need a map and compass and good weather.

Super 4th Gen! Sounds a good walk - perhaps it could be organised for this May. :wink:

Anyone got any others?

Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:15 pm

Took the bull by the horns this morning as it is a cracking day and headed up Beinn Ghuilean - more to follow on this but here are a couple of quick snaps.

Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Walking in Kintyre

Postby jackiefulton » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:03 pm

Thought I posted a reply to this on Sunday, but maybe forgot to click submit

happy to share/ gain info on walks - nearly headed up Beinn G on Sunday - but thought it might be a bit wet underfoot

small group from work, Home-Start have been tackling bits of the Kintyre Way (easy bits!) happy for folk to join us , has been last sun in month, anyone wanting to come long just pm me

May expedition sounds good - certainly would prefer to tackle this section with folk who know the route

if interest might be worth putting walking topic as full thread - on mokrun thread there is a post about trying to get route markers - good incentive for walkers or runners
jackiefulton
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Walking in Kintyre

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:00 am

jackiefulton wrote:Thought I posted a reply to this on Sunday, but maybe forgot to click submit

happy to share/ gain info on walks - nearly headed up Beinn G on Sunday - but thought it might be a bit wet underfoot

small group from work, Home-Start have been tackling bits of the Kintyre Way (easy bits!) happy for folk to join us , has been last sun in month, anyone wanting to come long just pm me

May expedition sounds good - certainly would prefer to tackle this section with folk who know the route

if interest might be worth putting walking topic as full thread - on mokrun thread there is a post about trying to get route markers - good incentive for walkers or runners

Super! 8) Beinn Ghuilean is pretty good on the track - worst bit by far was crossing the field at the back of the graveyard - was really muddy, but now realise I could have crossed later and that is why, perhaps, the markers are down?????

We can start up a full thread on walking and see how it goes? Similar to what we have for MOKRUN which, as you can see, works really well - can't keep up with them! :lol:

Will pencil this in for later in the week but in the meantime do we have other walkers out there who think this would be a good idea?

Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby witchnettle » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:21 am

yes i think thats a really good idea x
flag flax fodder and frig
witchnettle
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jdcarra » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:33 am

Kintyre Forum News wrote: but in the meantime do we have other walkers out there who think this would be a good idea?

witchnettle wrote:yes i think thats a really good idea x

Good thinking DP, especially after all the festivities :roll: . The marathon side is just a wee bit fast for my old joints, but walking :D .

I will add the walks up this part of the country and also update the Kintyre Way Walk with some more pics.
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:30 pm

l thinks its also a great idea to have Kintrye own walking group,l have see many a good walker out strip a runner "the old tortise and the hare story".

Also us runners can glean some info of your thread ref the terrain etc or run a route you would recommend the two can go hand in hand.Its like the LDWA (long distance Walkers Association) they set routes and all turn up and do their stuff.Its nice to do off road, at what ever speed that takes your fancy.

Would read your thread with the same enthusiasm as l do the MOK and l sure it would get other people intrested and joining in.I would certainly join in on some walks (subject to time and family ties).
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

First Sunday of the Month - local walk

Postby jackiefulton » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:01 pm

Home-Start walking on Sunday 3rd Feb (probably weather permitting)
intention is part of the Kintyre Way- Saddell to town - starting about 10am - for anyone wanting to miss out the road down from Lussa - we can arrange transport

interested in joining us pm me and I'll keep you up to date re times etc
jackiefulton
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby kintyrewalker » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:25 pm

Just back from a walk round Beinn Ghuilean, lighter nights mean it will soon be an after work walk.

new leaves on the primroses, so not long til spring
kintyrewalker
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Parsonson » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:16 pm

I recently visited Inneans Bay for the first time in over 20 years, quite expecting the walk from and back to civilisation to be spoiled by the intrusiveness of Kintyre Way paths and signage. However I was much impressed by the discreet and considerate installation of Way markers, and path construction. Certainly, it seems no more invasive than similar walking routes in Austria or Norway.
The walk to the bay from Ballygroggan took a little over one and a quarter hours (accompanied by two small children) - I'm certain it was much further 20 years ago! Even the more arduous route over Cnoc Moy to Largybaan seemed less of a relentless slog than I remember from my youth, possibly thanks to the periodic, but not too frequent, Way marker posts.
For spoiling neither a great day out nor a nostalgic visit to the braes of my childhood, I'd like to give a big thumbs up to the Kintyre Way.

Parsonson
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby EMDEE » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:18 pm

I last visited the Inneans Bay in 1997, and noticed that the Sailor's Grave was in a dreadful state. I can remember it in the 1970s when it was adorned with glass fishing net floats, and there was even a poem inscribed on the cross, and it looked as if it was being looked after. In 1997 it was overgrown and the cross was lopsided and tied together with orange twine. I actually took a photo of it which I have somewhere in the house.

Can anybody who has been there recently give an update on the state of the grave? Does anybody know who used to look after it in former years, as there must have been somebody tending it?

The sailor has been a presence at the bay for almost a century now.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Walking in Kintyre