Over the Doirlinn

Post your photos from around Kintyre. Scenery, events, personal, people, wildlife etc

Over the Doirlinn

Postby Crowth » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:57 pm

One of the best vantage points that I can think of in Kintyre is the top of Island Davaar. The diversity of view takes some beating. From up there you can watch boats and ships coming and going, or just passing by out to sea. You can look up the east Kintyre coast and across to Arran and Pladda then down to Ailsa Craig and the Ayrshire coast beyond, given the right weather of course. Turning the other way, the town looks quite picture postcardy spread around the head of the loch and the Doirlinn at your feet.

Another contributing factor to making Davaar a great place to visit is the adventure getting there. I went over on Saturday afternoon just after high tide to remind myself of what I’d been missing.

The first thing to see was a couple of Minesweepers moored at the NATO pier. The one to the right is HMS Penzance, I couldn’t identify the other one from my pictures.

Halfway across

On the island and about to start the climb to the top

Almost at the top

Looking back to the town from the top

Arran seen from the top

Ailsa Craig

Trench point and the Old Quay

Davaar House from above

Heading back down and looking over the Doirlinn

Navigation Aid , Kildalloig Bay

The Doirlinn beacon

Looking back to Davaar

Strange things are washed up on the Doirlinn
Remember, a penguin is for life not just for elevenses.
Crowth
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Over the Doirlinn

Postby westport321 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:12 pm

Stunning... what a great job you did! been up there a few times eons ago, great view, cant do it anymore though.
Please, please, tell me what type of camera you are using. Need to replace my A2.
Thanks
Head Scientist, Dept of Mad Scientists
westport321
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Bobh » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:20 pm

Crackin pis. Thanks for sharing.
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Pete Reek » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:39 pm

Great stuff Crowth.
In all my years here I have only ever set foot on the island twice :oops:

Have never climbed it :oops: :oops:

Have never seen the Cave Painting except in photographs :oops: :oops: :oops:

I will now go and cover my head in shame and not be seen again this year.
Some days I jeest donno hoots hoot an hoots naw hoot.
Pete Reek
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Location: Ur we therr yet mammy? Naw we'll be therr in a wee while or two.

Postby Ship called Dignity » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:44 pm

Super photos Crowth. Thanks for sharing these.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:49 am

Wonderful photos Crowth. I`m ashamed to say that I`ve never been over to Davaar, but if I did I wouldn`t be able to climb up there.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:09 am

As I have said before.One of the best holidays I had was on the island.Interesting drive across twice a day!Thank you for the photos.I had better book a holiday! :)
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby History » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:24 am

I have been on the island many times. We used to go over when the tide was coming in and you had the place to yourself for hours until the tide went out. That's not an option anymore since the introduction of holiday homes. I preferred to see Billy Goat and his harem passing on their way down to the shore than tourists. You can see the well trodden path the goats take when coming down from the top on the right as you look at the island from the town.

I am sure that it must cost quite a bit to maintain Kildalloig estate and times move on in any business but if I owned the island I wouldn't let anybody on unless they were leaving the same day they came over 8)

I have been at the top only once and as Crowth's photo's show, the view is fabulous. Enjoyed looking at them.

The one of Davaar House is more like a shot from Loganair drifting in. I hope the Elliss's look at the Kintyre site photo's :wink:
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby EMDEE » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:11 pm

Seems a bit uncharitable towards tourists who spend money in the local economy. After all, Davaar Island is hardly Blackpool. :roll:
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:18 pm

[quote="EMDEE"]Seems a bit uncharitable towards tourists who spend money in the local economy. After all, Davaar Island is hardly Blackpool. :roll:[/quoteI}
I was having the very same thought.We went there for the peace and tranquility.Not to trample all over the place.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby History » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:21 pm

EMDEE wrote:Seems a bit uncharitable towards tourists who spend money in the local economy. After all, Davaar Island is hardly Blackpool. :roll:

Emdee, Surely you wouldn't grudge me a hankering about how things used to be? :shock: We are all guilty of that I'm sure.

Times move on and things change. My reminiscing doesn't mean I have uncharitable thoughts toward anyone.

By the way I was in Blackpool once, for a day. Thanks but no thanks. :D
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby EMDEE » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:57 pm

Aye, nostalgia's not what it used to be.

One thing I would say, however, and I think you will understand this, is that there is one poster on here who has been on holiday at the cottages on Davaar Island, and the comments that you make could easily be misconstrued to give the impression that there is hostility towards tourists. :(
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby History » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:12 pm

Walking on eggshells is not my strong point Emdee but I do try honest :D

I'm not too concerned about offending casual visitors but this post was not intended to offend and if it's seen that way they should read it again.

I have many happy memories of the Island as I am sure many on here have, even before the new generation of Turners took over the reins.

We are way off topic here by the way. Crowths pictures are very nice and should be enjoyed by the members.
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Crowth » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:27 pm

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. I really do enjoy taking these pictures and the pleasure is enhanced knowing that others enjoy what I do too. It's also nice to know that my pics can evoke happy memories for people, thanks for sharing History :)

It would be nice to see photographs of the island and the Doirlinn that have been taken by others posted here. Maybe it will prompt people to go to Davaar and see it for themselves and even improve upon my shots :) Pete Reek: Don't be too hard on yourself, this could be your chance to crawl from your shame hole and redeem yourself ;)

Westport321

Thanks for your comments.

I use a Canon 40D, which is an SLR and I don't think they make them anymore being replaced I think with the 50D. Also, I have a small selection of lenses which are used for a variety of types of shot (wide, zoom, macro etc.....), and I also use a few filters.
Remember, a penguin is for life not just for elevenses.
Crowth
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby westport321 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:28 pm

thanks for the reply Crowth, looked at the digital SLRs but dont really want to carry all that stuff with me. ( when I travel I try to pack everything into a carryon bag) and then it would be the lenses I would be buying etc etc etc. Had all that with my old 35mm film camera and damn near need a suitcase to haul it all around.
Loved my minolta A2 but the viewfinder has gone and that idiotic LCD screen fouls up more shots. I wil keep looking.
Love your pics BTW keep on shooting!
Head Scientist, Dept of Mad Scientists
westport321
Active Poster
Active Poster

Next

Return to Photos from around Kintyre