Photo's of Macharioch House?

Post your photos from around Kintyre. Scenery, events, personal, people, wildlife etc

Photo's of Macharioch House?

Postby brnicolson » Tue May 19, 2009 12:05 am

Does anyone have any photo's of the Macharioch house...outside or inside or the surrounding grounds? Not the guard house at the top of the driveway but the actual house down the long drive.

My mother & father (George Nicolson) once owned the Macharioch house...they bought it and used it as a vacation/holiday rental for other patrons in 1965. I as well as my 2 older brothers have memories of living in what seemed to us to be a castle. Playing at the farm next door ( I believe owned by John McCorkindale) and running in the fields...and down by the beach.

Thanks in advance. I'm sure at some point I will trek accross the pond with my wife and daughters to see where their daddy used to live as a child. Great memories. Now living in Phoenix, Arizona USA.

Brian
brnicolson
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Photo's of Macharioch House?

Postby jdcarra » Tue May 19, 2009 11:04 am

brnicolson wrote:Does anyone have any photo's of the Macharioch house...outside or inside or the surrounding grounds? Not the guard house at the top of the driveway but the actual house down the long drive.
My mother & father (George Nicolson) once owned the Macharioch house...they bought it and used it as a vacation/holiday rental for other patrons in 1965. I as well as my 2 older brothers have memories of living in what seemed to us to be a castle. Playing at the farm next door ( I believe owned by John McCorkindale) and running in the fields...and down by the beach.
Thanks in advance. I'm sure at some point I will trek accross the pond with my wife and daughters to see where their daddy used to live as a child. Great memories. Now living in Phoenix, Arizona USA.Brian

Hello Brian
The next day I am down that way I will enquire if some shots of the house can be taken.
Photos looking down on the farm and entrance gate to Macharioch House.

Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby brnicolson » Tue May 19, 2009 11:24 am

Thanks JD,

I have seen these 2 shots on the internet before...it seems pics of the Macharioch house are kept under lock & key in some secret vault. Yes...that would be great if you could get some pics of the big hooose...much appreciated from this side of the Atlantic.

My mother & father at one time had a small booklet on the house...10 pages or so...advertising the house as a holiday retreat. My mother can't seem to find it...its probably buried in a box somewhere...if it is found I will post the pics on this site for any that are curious.

Thanks again.

B.
brnicolson
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:12 pm

I have a copy of the booklet and am a regular visitor to the Big House....and have taken many pictures. WIll look them out.

Your Dad was one of the best footballers we ever had in Southend and I well remember when he died in January 1983 I think it was. A big contingent went from here to his funeral.

How is my old primary school pal Jimmy? not heard a thing since he left.
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby brnicolson » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:36 am

Jimmy is doing well...married with 2 grown boys living in Washington DC. I had my mom send me the booklet on Macharioch House...I'm trying to figure out how you post pics on this forum...when I do I will post them on here.
brnicolson
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby brnicolson » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:13 am

Here are the pics from the booklet:

brnicolson
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Lossit Lass » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:11 am

brnicolson wrote:I as well as my 2 older brothers have memories of living in what seemed to us to be a castle.

Is it NOT a castle?! Because it looks very castle-like to me!!
What a great place to have lived! Really beautiful. I imagine you're pretty anxious to get your family there :D
Suppose they held a war and nobody came?
Lossit Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Crowth » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:31 pm

I managed to get down to the house recently and took a few snaps with my camera phone.......

Fascinating place, wouldn't mind a tour someday.

The rear of the house

The front

and the legend

Which means 'Small House, Great Peace'

I would have loved to have seen this place in it's heyday.
Crowth
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Roamer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:48 pm

Outside circa 1964 or 65 with me mum and dad, and younger brother Danny.

Pictured Lto R George Nicolson, Danny Nicolson, Caroline (then)Nicolson and me Jimmy Nicolson.

Roamer
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby easypeasy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:33 pm

I had a holiday at Macharioch in the seventies staying in the gatehouse. While there we were told that the gatehouse should have been Inverary Castle's gatehouse and the gatehouse at Inverary castle was intended for Macharioch. The design of the gatehouse at Macharioch with its round turret does look out of place with the design of Macharioch house and more in keeping with Inverary castle.
easypeasy
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby SMcLintock » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:31 pm

I'm just back from a nostalgic trip at the weekend to Macharioch, having stayed at the farmhouse (owned by the McCorkindale family) on many years of summer holidays with my sister and parents during the 1970s. As kids, we were always mystified by Macharioch House as we passed it on route down to the beach - just catching glimpses of it through the trees and forbidden by our parents to explore the grounds! It's been so interesting to learn more about the history and finally see what it really looked like - it must have been fantastic to live there. The area is still as beautiful as I had remembered it - I'm going to attempt to post a few photos of the farmhouse and our favourite beach - happy memories...
SMcLintock
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby SMcLintock » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Sorry - no matter what I try I can't seem to post the photos...will keep trying though.
SMcLintock
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby buckiellen » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:43 pm

I lived in the Macharioch House in 1972 for about 6 months. I am currently digitizing my old photos as the negatives are quit faded. I will post photos of the house and sorrounding areas when I can. I have such fantastic memories of living there and all the nature around me. There were times when the beauty of the place was so overwhelming that I felt like I was rooted to the earth with a brillant sky over head, surrounded by acres and acres of green grass and Bluebells.

Can you tell that I really liked the place??
buckiellen
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Crowth » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:43 pm

buckiellen wrote:Can you tell that I really liked the place??

That does come through a little bit :lol:

Looking forward to seeing some of your pics, buckie.
Remember, a penguin is for life not just for elevenses.
Crowth
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby fionanicolson » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:43 pm

I have some photos! My father Tom Nicolson is your uncle. I lived in Scotland for a year in 1969 and meet Uncle George and stayed at Macharioch . It would be great to share memories with you, as we are cousins. I will wait to see if you notice this post before I upload any photos
fionanicolson
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Next

Return to Photos from around Kintyre