Heavy storm hits Muasdale

Post your photos from around Kintyre. Scenery, events, personal, people, wildlife etc

Heavy storm hits Muasdale

Postby Bonnie Lass » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:33 pm

Thunder, lightning and loads and loads of rain created havoc on the road from Muasdale to Kennacraig yesterday.

Here are some photos of Muasdale Burn in full flow.

Yesterday taken from bridge looking towards the hills.
This afternoon.

Yesterday from otherside of the bridge looking towards the sea.
This afternoon:

Taken on the shore yesterday:

Taken this afternoon:
Bonnie Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Heavy storm hits Muasdale

Postby chrisduffy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:55 pm

wow! you can see the power in the water, interesting pics :)
chrisduffy
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Malky » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:24 pm

I only managed to get some photos with my phone yesterday so apologies for quality. I've never seen it quite so bad with us. Farmhouse was ok but most of the sheds were filled with water after the burn that flows by the farm burst it's banks. The water was subsiding by the time I took the photos but you'll get an idea of how much rain fell. Amazing thing was that the rain lasted less than an hour :shock:

I was on the hill repairing a fence at the time. Glad I had my waterproofs with me, I can tell you! Was a bit of an adventure getting home as the burns were so swollen with water. While crossing one, the water was actually flowing over the ATV! I was standing on the seat at that point hoping that the bike wouldn't stall. Scary moment, I can tell you. Then crossing the last burn before home one of my dogs was swept away. I though I'd lost him tbh, but luckily there was a bend in the burn about 20 metres down and he managed to cling onto the bank there. I was able to jump in and drag him out!

The farmyard while there was still some water flowing down it.

The burn is to the right of this photo. Well it's supposed to be :roll:

This is the next burn over. It's about 50 metres north of the farm. This is where the road was closed for a few hours as they were worried that the bridge had been damaged with the force of water.The amount of debris, rocks and silt that came down this burn was awesome - I've never seen anything like it.

It's gonna take a while to clear up :shock:
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Isa » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:01 pm

really dramatic pictures of the road Malky. Hopefully no livestock affected.
Isa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Isa » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:03 pm

Very effective before and after pictures, B.L.
Isa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby numberplease » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:53 am

Blimey! Great photos Malky and Bonnie Lass, and what a contrast between yesterday and today!
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:15 am

Superb pics!We stayed at Grogport Cottage in September 2008 and the burn that runs by the side of it was in full spate one night.Scary not knowing how much water would be coming down.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:31 pm

Great pictures from Bonnie Lass and SCARY pictures from Malky. They remind me of the flash flood we had here in SE Southend on 9th Agust 2008. These kind of flash flood events seem to be happening more and more often. And so localised.
We had little rain that night and none the night of the other recent Largieside flood.
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:32 pm

what time of day was your flash flood Malky?
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:47 pm

Mair importantly, is the caravan still there?! :lol:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:44 pm

@ 4th gen. Just after 4pm on Wednesday.

Caravan is still there :lol: You've no water though. Waterpipe went under that bridge and is now gone :( Don't even have a clue where to look for it as there is so much debris there. Hundreds of tons of rocks and silt on top of it I fear.

Here is an updated photo. The council had to bring in a 20ton excavator to dig out the burn. Think I need to go into the quarry business :wink:

Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:06 am

4th gen Suthen' wrote: These kind of flash flood events seem to be happening more and more often. .

Without getting into any discussion about global warming, which has become quite controversial, I think that we can agree that there has been a bit of "climate change" in recent decades.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:54 am

aye, you will have a good supply of sharp gravel for your road Malky, but was that just a normal field where the pile of gravel is before the great flood? how will you ever get that back the way it was?

A lot of damage was done here on 9/8/08 and the farm infrastructure could not stand many more of these kind of events, but it was just good luck it didn't happen again last week and it could happen to Malky, or anyone, anytime.

Yes, it is happening more and more, something has most definitely changed, of that there is no doubt.
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:30 am

Yeah, it was a normal field of grass with a small tree or 2 at the side of the burn. About half and acre now looks like a moonscape now. We will use the stone for road bottoming etc over the next year or so. Not sure about the mud though.

That area is not really a priority though - fences are the big problem. We have lost several hundred metres at various places on the farm. Either washed away or swept away in landslips. It will take a while to replace them all and nothing like that is insured so it will be a big expense. Hope my bank manager is sympathetic :roll:

We've still got a shed or two to clear the mud out of. Workshop is sorted out and we're drying out electrical things like welders. Fingers crossed everything will be ok as we have no flood insurance for any of that. We also have a car that is full of muddy water too :|

But no-one was injured, no animals were lost and my old dog is fine apart from a slight limp. And that was probably me when I threw him out the burn - not sure is it was adrenaline or that the water was bloody cold :mrgreen:
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Photos from around Kintyre