1/2 Marathon Training

Details and discussion on the Half Marathon and 10k race being held in Campbeltown on Sunday 29th May 2016 at 10.30am plus general discussion about running in Kintyre! Or visit their website at www.mokrun.com

1/2 Marathon Training

Postby DJD » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:57 pm

l might be tempting fate,but l am proposing to start a sub 1:30/1:45 schedule on the 8th March right up to the MoK race weekend.Its a 12 week plan.

l will post each week up on here,so that any runner that is running the 1/2 can either follow it or even use it as a guide for their own individual use.

The reason l will put it on here is because l hope to at least concentrate on the 1/2, now that my other event is out of the window and the other reason is, no one has put one up on here over the year's since the Mok been around.

l don't expect many runners to join in, but l hope to be there as usual on Tue/Thur sessions at 6pm.Also if things don't work out for me, l will still put the schedule on here.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: 1/2 Marathon Training

Postby Ninja Mania » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:48 pm

Sound's good to me DJD, i'm doing the half this year and dont really run to a plan, it will interest me to see what my schedule should be, cant promise to make every night, but will try my best.
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fiona28 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:01 pm

would love to join you djd, but will follow with interest so please post what you are upto :D
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:50 pm

error
Last edited by Pans Lass on Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:50 pm

I am also doing the half DJD and was going to concentrate on that part of my training after I finish with Katfer's 10k plan which takes us up to the Nigel Barge 10k . By then I should have a good base to work from so like fiona28 would love to join you or use your training shedule as a guide as i dont have one in mind yet .
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:29 am

Count me in DJD. Had intended to revert to the Runner's World 12 week plan, on my lonesome. Had a bad couple of weeks, health wise, but have shaken off all that p**h----been to doctor--all's OK. I haven't puked after a run for a long time (was close last year at the WTR Glenbarr run). I used to do it twice a night, twice a week (puke that is) , and think it was part of the training :<> ,but not looking forward to doing it again, but I know I will.

Rab
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:45 pm

Just a bit more insight as to what to expect.Now that the light will soon be in our favour,for certain sessions l am going to make use of the rolling hills and tracks for tempo runs ie Tomaig/Beinn Ghuilean area.

Grass area's for some flat fast sessions/
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:18 pm

Rabmacd,RW schedule as you know is a good one which i will put up,but l will mix the Tue/Thur session with a touch of another one now and again and then people can choose what ever they think would be best for them personally,if they are going to have a good crack at this years Mok.

Thanks everyone for the interest whether you turn up or just run on your own,as sometimes being in a group puts pressure on one self.(for what ever reason)Remember its not about the fastest or strongest,its about everyone running the sessions and getting the best out of it for themselves and reaching new heights.(not in my case thou,there gone).

Choice is there.

Thanks
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fja » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:45 pm

This sounds a great way to maximise the running potential of longer days! Very happy to join in, at my own pace, and continue to build up the miles and the stamina. Thanks DJD.
fja
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Darren » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:20 pm

donald, i will hopefully join you for the 12 weeks training, have been very lazy up till now and have never really done a plan as such for the half so will at least give me something to follow..

better find my trainers..
Darren
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ileach B » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:13 am

On reading I wish I could give the commitment to a 1/2 this year, was really looking forward to entering the 1/2 this year as a personal mile stone but.. Enthusium is there, but fitness isn't, I don't think between now and May I could!
Ileach B
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jackiefulton » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:25 am

hope to join you towards the end of march....

might be lagging behind a bit - but hope to improve my timing a little
jackiefulton
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby DJD » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:55 am

Hi All

Here is the two schedules Sub 1:30/1:45 (RW)

Race pace per mile 6:52s.....................Race pace per mile 8 min

Mon......4 miles (steady)....................Mon.....Rest

Tues.....5 x 800m x 200m rec..............Tue......4 x 800m x 200 rec

Wed.....6 miles (steady)....................Wed.....5 mile (steady)

Thur.....5 miles (3mile Fartlex)............Thur.....5 mile (3mile Fartlex)

Fri......Rest...................................Fri.......Rest

Sat.....4 miles (easy)........................Sat......3 miles (easy)

Sun.....10k (sub 42min).....................Sun......10k (sub 48min)

All done with a W/up and C/dn

As you can see there is not much differnce between the 2 schedule, just basic speed will get you to hit your realistic time as you go through the 12wk training program.

l will be there Tue,but to be honest l don't think l will last the the coming wks,but l am sure someone will conduct the sessions as you are all capable or you might just want to train by youself.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fja » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:47 pm

DJD, I'll join you guys most Tuesdays when I can - I'm following a SmartCoach plan - but not aiming for even a sub 2 hours until August (Iceland half). Plan is similar to yours in miles but easier in pace/effort eg just one tempo/speed workout once a week which is why I'm keen to join you to do that. Did my first tempo this week and really pleased with how I did - thanks to Katfer's training squad for that. I'll do my long runs on Saturday tagging on a couple of miles, and increasing, after the WTR session. Looking forward to the additional opportunity to work on the core/strength stuff too.
fja
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby DJD » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:25 pm

Week Two

Sub 1:30..................................................Sub 1:45

Mon.....3 miles easy..................................Mon.....Rest

Tue.....6 miles (10 x 400m x 200 rec)..............Tue......5 miles (8 x 400m x 200 rec)

Wed....7 miles.........................................Wed.....6 miles

Thur....7 miles (3 miles Tempo).....................Thur....6miles (3 miles tempo)

Fri......Rest.............................................Fri......Rest

Sat.....6 miles (8 x 200m hills).......................Sat......5 miles (6 x 200m hills)

Sun ....9 miles..........................................Sun.....9 miles

Most of the w/ups and c/dns are in the sessions total milage.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon and 10k Run