Wee Toon Runners Handicap Series

Details and discussion on the Half Marathon and 10k race being held in Campbeltown on Sunday 29th May 2016 at 10.30am plus general discussion about running in Kintyre! Or visit their website at www.mokrun.com

Re: Wee Toon Runners Handicap Series

Postby DJD » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:53 pm

Ninja good idea's

l responded but the web page exspired at the end will respond again tomorrow.

thanks.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:40 am

Ninja, l will give you my reasons on the way it is run at the moment,but its not to state anything concrete that we as runners will stick to my way.

Distance is l think suits everyone's ability,the whole thing is over and done within a hour and less time for the midges to get at us.

Team events, l am open to that one,and regards to the relay race you could have a seperate night at the end of the series to stage that.

Hoora auld by then,most clubs run the handicaps everymonth or at least most of the year so we could make the series longer,but in doing that could take a bit of fun and the excitement away from the event.

Routes,yes l agree,l will change some of the route's but will keep the ones (imo)are our blue ribbon locations.

Would like to hear from other people as regards to Ninja proposal,which are very good.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:38 pm

My initial thought is that if different distances are used, then handicapping becomes extremely difficult.

The team thing is difficult as, no matter how hard everytone tries, you will only be as quick as your slowest runner, but maybe handicapping comes into that. I do think that a relay would be good, though, as a series ender. Over the same distance, each doing 3miles, say maybe teams of four, but on an afternoon so that the 12 miles can be done in daylight.
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:54 am

I also forgot the age old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:34 pm

Very True
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:41 pm

Rabmacd wrote:I also forgot the age old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Same thoughts as Rab ...I personally think 3 miles is enough and like you mentioned DJD its all over in an hour which gives others a chance to take part who's time may be limited and the distance suits all abilities. As for the routes I think they worked well and gave variety througout the series, however maybe need to change the Bengullion one for various reasons..... :lol: not getting at you 4th gen :wink:

do like the idea of a team relay as a series ender .... :D
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fiona28 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:01 pm

I tink djd and helpers did a great job, routes were great - gave variety of terrain available in our beautiful part of the world, my fave being benguillion :D , like the rest said, if not broken.....just sorry i missed out on so much of it. Will be there this year with a great handicap tho :lol:

Maybe ninja would like to organise and run another event - relay, relay series, split distances series??
It's endless what can be done - then djd could take part :D

Jogscotland did a sponsored relay a couple of years ago for charity which was fantastic - fun not competitive over just under 26 miles. I had been thinking of doing something along these lines again this year (not something you want to do every year) but if ninja has got his "ideas head" on then go for it :D

Looking forward to hearing your plans ninja :D
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ninja Mania » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:03 pm

Fiona, I have asked for some advise on the way this would be best done and in a fair way, this is an extract of the reply given to me,

Each person would have their handicap time from the last series run. Then you draw names out of the hat and you have say four members per team. At the end you take the total time taken, by the team to run the race and subtract the handicap (elapse) times of the runners from that total The team with the quickest time wins.

It may be better to have four hats, according to abilities, like the World Cup draw, one with the fastest runners, second fastest group, third fastest and fourth fastest. They could be worked out from the elapse times allocated. You could mix and match, with the runners in each team going in any order, not necessarily the slowest first. That way you wouldn't know the outcome until the last runner crossed the line. Even then, it would still have to be worked out.

I think this would be quite a good end of season race for us all, and afterwards we could retire to the pub and have a soft drink :lol: while we work out the results, of course this would need the backing of the aint broke dont fix brigade :lol: :lol: but i,m sure they would like it too.

RSVP anyone who has an opinion on this please.

OH and I forgot to mention, the order for the tops has been placed and I expect them by 2nd/3rd week in Jan, I have managed to get cost down to £14, per pack. 8)
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:19 pm

Sounds a good end of series finale Ninja.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Numered tops

Postby Ninja Mania » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:26 pm

The 1st batch of top's have arrived, i'm still waiting on the blue batch and a couple other's to arrive.

I will take them with me this week as i'm out training every night, you can get me at the aqua most night's roundabout 6ish and 7.30 ish, if you want to collect yours, thanks.

Appologize to 4th Gen, Jocelyn, and Tommy, who's order's were not sent because no colour was specified. Sorry
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:16 pm

Hi all,
l might be around on that sport relief Sunday to record peoples times for the handicap series, that if some runners want to use that race as a means of gaining a time for the series.

The offers there and if you prewarn me l will have things set up on the day and only if it does not interfere with the race organiser's event,it's self.(which l will find out between now and then)

Just to let you know the time cut off for this year's series is 1hr:7min:30sec for a 10k time but still having a bit of flexibility and consideration applied, so people around that time don't be put off,just train a we bit more between now and May.

Thanks
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ninja Mania » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:17 pm

DJD thats a great idea, and I would be happy to do that for my new series time, we were intending doing the J.C 10k for times, but it makes more sense doing it locally.
Perhaps we will still do the J.C 10k and give you the worst time out of the 2, well its a way of getting a wee jump start to the campaign and gain some more points, just like Big Darren done last year :lol: :lol: :lol: never helped him much though.
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby The Otter » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:57 pm

That will be a great help to me also DJD if you are able to time us on the local Sport relief run day.
The Otter
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby jackiefulton » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:08 am

Hi all
happy for sport relief to be used for working out times etc for the handicap series, intend to start a thread asap re sport relief - will book my own place this weekend and see how it all works - much easier if folk sign up via the website - though fine if folk not able to do that want to bring their fee into Home-Start and we will get them signed up.

Looking forward to a good day with families and kids getting out there for the mile plus a good number of folk on the 3 -6 miles - also maybe some 4 minute milers - still have the photo from year one of 4th gen, coming in fairly close to the 4 minute mile, checking his warch as he turned the corner with Pat McPhee striding out just behind him :D
jackiefulton
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby DJD » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:06 am

Thanks Jackie,

So l will have it set up on the day and l will nearer the time confirm everything etc.

Ninja,it was Rabmac idea and a good one at that,hopefully it will add to the days fun,like Jackie has already commented on.

Looking forward to it,already, and a chance to put the official team of scorer's together if they are not running.

So far l have

Suzy
Douglas
Bill

need 1 other.

Thanks
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon and 10k Run