10k training

Details and discussion on the Half Marathon and 10k race being held in Campbeltown on Sunday 29th May 2016 at 10.30am plus general discussion about running in Kintyre! Or visit their website at www.mokrun.com

Re: 10k training

Postby Pans Lass » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:04 pm

Katfer wrote:We're back :D

A good day out :wink:
indeed !!

Moi and I left the wee toon around 9am and reached our destination at 12pm ...in good time to see Sam run his first official race . Sam took it all in his stride and by the look on his face at the end he enjoyed every minute of it and he told us he did . Well done Sam !

Well cant say the same for myself ... :oops:

A windy day it was but at least it stayed dry for most of the race. As this was my first time doing the Nigel Barge I wasnt quite sure how bad the hills were so decided to hold back my on the first lap (5k )and increase my pace on lap 2 but in hindsight I think I should have pushed more on lap 1as I settled into lap 2 much better and enjoyed it even at a faster pace . I have got to say it had more hills than I had expected but for some reason I 'enjoyed ' them even tho it was a challenging route and really not a PB one if you used to a flat 10k . My time was 55:35 on my garmin and I was slightly disappointed as really wanted 54 mins or less . I know if I had went that bit faster at the beginning it would have helped and also I did not check my Garmin for my time so mad at myself for that too. I knew that after I had crossed the finishing line I had more to give and that was not a good sign however it was a great day away and I enjoyed everyone's company.

When Moi and I got back into the car to drive home I said to her I think I could do that again and she replied me too !! so it could not have been that bad after all. :wink: Definitely one for the diary next year !!

Katfer 48:20 a fantastic time and you should be proud of that . As for Moi and Elaine I was really pleased for them achieving sub 50 (48 something) which I know has been a goal of Moi's for a long time and to get it on a course like this is even more amazing just think what you could now achieve on a flat 10k . :D And well done to Stu and Chantal too . It was good to see so many of us from the WEE Toon support this race. :D

Katfer even though I am now starting my training for the half I do plan to still join you most Tues and Thursdays but wont make this Tues as promised myself a day off however I am itching to get going again , think the endorphins are still working from yesterday . :)
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:01 pm

Who's idea was it to run the Nigel Barge 10k?? :<> :<> :<> :<>

Started the day with Sam taking part in the junior 3k which I think he finished 4th boy and with a time of 15 mins, so he was quite chuffed with that.

Well what can I say about the 10k, was quite a windy day but can't even blame that for my running yesterday, stamina just wasn't there :( Started off ok and felt comfortable until 5k but had forgotten just how many hills there was and of course had to do the loop twice! :oops: :oops: Legs and lungs on 2nd loop were dead and struggled to get (official time 48:20), closely followed by Wee Moi, even closer followed by Elaine then Pans Lass and Chantal. A bit disappointed with my time as am 3 mins slower this year than last year but gives me something to work on and improve over the next few weeks.

Wee Moi and Elaine both achieved PB's which is amazing on a course like this and is well deserved as you both have worked really hard, but will leave it up to the girls to post their times if they wish. Must also give Stuart McG a wee mention who also ran well and I can only dream of being able to run a 10k at that speed.

Katfer,

Don't worry about it. We all have good and bad days, just remember that you're training to be race ready in nine weeks, not yesterday. My advice would be to take 2/3 or even 4!! days off---there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, in a tough training schedule.

Well done to everyone who took part. Sub 50s must have looked well nigh impossible when lots of you started out on this long road. You know what the next target is....sub 49, 48, 47, 46, 45---why not??

I must admit that I really admire all of your commitment and, more importantly, your determination.

Rab
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Katfer » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Thx Rab. Am taking a few days off and then back to the drawing board. Feel as though some one has battered me about the legs today. :lol:
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby elainemck » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:52 pm

Who's idea was it to run the Nigel Barge 10k?? :<> :<> :<> :<>

LOL I think it was your idea Katie!!! Well done everyone for yesterday - everybody got great times considering the course etc. it really was a hard course with too many hills for my liking :( and a nasty bitter wind too! Very pleased with my sub 50 time as I really could've given up after the first lap but wee moi was right in front of me and my plan was always to try and keep her in my sight so thanks moira for keeping me going and shouting at me to get up those hills!

Stuart was pretty pleased with his 42 time too considering he's had a wee bit of a hamstring issue over past 2 weeks.

Pans Lass don't be disappointed in your time, you did great plus you know you could do better as you had more left in the tank to take it up a notch at the end - so we'll just need to find another 10k trip away for you to hit your target :D

It was good to see us out in force in our WTR tshirts :-) The Turner did fantastic also - Mathew came first and Gary not far behind. Susan also got a great time.

Thanks again Katie for the tue/thu sessions too, they really have helped everyones training.
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jen21 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:48 am

Well done girls & boys!! What great times, im impressed but not one bit surprised as you are all running super fast just now!! After all the hardwork you have put in you's deserve to get PB's :D

Katfer, dont worry about your time. You have your good and bad days and we all know you can run a 10k quicker than 48mins, but that time is still really superb so dont worry about it. Just think, if you didnt have the wind and hills you would have knocked off a few good mins :)

Well done everyone, keep up the good work. I can sense there will be more PB's by the time the mok comes round!
jen21
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby DJD » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:01 pm

It's great to read about races and is so good to hear each time that someone comes home with a PB or even the knowledge they gained about themselves and what is needed for the next effort where ever it may take them.Great stuff.

Well done Moi and Elaine on your PB's and to Stuart, l know there is a sub 40 in you and with 8 weeks until the Mok,there is stacks of time to wind it up a bit.

Keep the hard training and tweak it up a bit,do the stuff you missed out for this race.(that's if you did)

Very good post to read.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Katfer » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:02 pm

6pm at Aqualibrium on Tues & Thurs

Tues:
w/up, run 2x2400 metres at 10k pace. Jog for 800 metres between repeats. Run 4x 400 metre repeats at 15 secs per mile faster than 5k pace. Jog for 200metres between repeats. Jog for 800metres between the two sets. c/down

Wed: 6 miles easy pace

Thurs:
w/up, run for 20 mins alternating between 30secs at 20secs per mile faster than 5k pace and 30secs at easy pace. C/down with 5mins at easy pace.

Fri: 6 miles easy pace

Sat: 6 miles easy pace

Sun: 8 miles easy pace
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Katfer » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:45 pm

Tues at 6pm: w/up, 8 x 2min x 2 min rec

Wed: 6 miles easy pace

Thurs: w/up, 10 x hill repeats (Am planning to run the race series 6 miles on Thurs instead of the hills so I wont be at Aqua on Thurs)

Fri: 6 miles easy pace

Sat: 6 miles easy pace

Sun: w/up, 7 miles 20 secs slower than 10k pace
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jen21 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:00 am

Katfer,

im down for 12 x 2mins hill repeats tomoro night if you fancy joining me then?! I see you were down for it on thurs. Up to you though, just a thought. Was thinking on kildalloig hill. Im dreading them!!
jen21
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Katfer » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:31 pm

Jen,

That sounds like a plan, we are 1 minute hills. So if anyone planning to come to 10k training 2 moro night, we will be doing hills.

Jen, are you taking your car to the dhorlin as we previously did or are you going to run there and back from Aqua?
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Katfer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:23 am

10K training tonight will meet at the Dhorlin at 6pm as we will do the Kildalloig hill x 10.....oh the pain :oops: :oops:
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jen21 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:43 pm

Hey Katie,

sorry for change of plan. Met Donald there and he said i should miss the hills tonight as its too hard for only having one week to go and also being on my taper. Instead im doing 12 x 1mins on flat. So sorry for change of plan espesh at last minute. After what i felt like the last time doing them hills i think i prob should give it a miss, could hardly walk for days after it.....im meeting at 6pm at aqua now. Hope ive not mucked up your plans.

Jen.
jen21
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Katfer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:54 pm

No probs Jen, we will go back to our original plan, 8 x 2 mins x 2 mins recovery if that's ok with everyone, meeting at Aqua at 6pm.
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Katfer » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:16 am

Tues: w/up, 4x1600metre repeats at 10k pace, 400metre rec between repeats, c/down

Wed: 7 miles easy pace

Thurs: w/up, 3x800/1200metre supersets. Run 800m at 5k pace, then slow down to 10k pace for 1200m. (Do not rest between distances) 800m rec between sets.

Fri: 7 miles easy pace

Sat: 7 miles easy pace

Sun: 10 miles, first 8 miles easy pace then 10k pace for last two miles. (easier said than done )
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Katfer » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:23 am

Tues: w/up, 2 x 2miles at 10k pace x 1/2 mile recovery, c/down - 6pm

Wed: 7 miles easy pace

Thurs: Run for 30 mins, alternating between 30secs at 5k pace, 30secs easy pace, c/down - 6pm
Fri: 7 miles easy pace

Sat: 7 miles easy pace

Sun: 8 miles at 15 secs slower than 10k pace.

Not sure if I will manage any of this as my knee and foot are still playing up, but will be there at 6pm and will give it a go.
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon and 10k Run