Mid-Argyll Tri - 28 September

Details and discussion on the Half Marathon and 10k race being held in Campbeltown on Sunday 29th May 2016 at 10.30am plus general discussion about running in Kintyre! Or visit their website at www.mokrun.com

Re: Mid-Argyll Tri - 28 September

Postby fiona28 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:38 pm

so you've entered Tom, anyone else gonna enter - looked up the website - looks great but only could see the fastest times, wot about the slowest times??? :oops:
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby whizzer » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:44 pm

Fiona

All previous results are also in the download section - just follow :
Events
Mid Argyll Triathlon
Downloads

You will see all previous race result are listed as excel spreadsheets - you can see the variety of times for all disciplines.

As you indicate the records section just show what the elite/top club Triathletes and indivudal team members can do.

Do not be put off - the event really balances fun and competition as the photographs show. :wink:
whizzer
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Katfer » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:07 pm

Fiona, we will need to get together on this one. I reckon we could get at least a couple of teams together. We have lots of able runners, two able and willing swimmers, just need to sweet talk a couple of cyclists!! Do you know of any cyclists who are willing to take part? Or are you a cyclist who might be interested, please let us know.
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ship called Dignity » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:35 pm

Is the cycle route all on road? Or is if off track - ie mountain bike? I'm keen to get my old bma out. 8)
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Katfer » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:30 am

mmm..not sure - will find out for you
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Katfer » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:44 pm

I think looking at the info on the Triathlon website the 20km cycle route is not off road (please someone correct me if I'm wrong). Starts at swimming pool on main road and then I think branches off onto a single track road but not forestry track etc - I think.
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby elainemck » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:19 pm

Good luck to everyone taking part on Sunday!
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:01 am

Echo that....good luck to everyone this weekend .

Look forward to hearing some of the race reports...... :D
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fiona28 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:36 pm

good luck to all - my team are on the waiting list :oops:

never mind will get entry away earlier next year, may even do the whole thing myself - you never know :oops:

good luck to iceblue doing her first tri - go girl :D
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fiona28 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:55 pm

pans lass look at our progress thingys, we're upto 99%, must be those pics in the courier pushing us up the ratings :lol:
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Katfer » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:58 pm

Had a great day out at our first triathlon today, the "Wee toon trio team" (Christopher McEwan, Jennifer Martin and me) came in 10th overall out of 14 teams, so was delighted with that. In the swimming heats, the pool was extremely choppy, so swimmers found this quite a challenge, the cycle, I believe, was relatively flat but quite windy and the run was very flat (thank god!). Was really good to be part of a team for a change and not to be getting stressed out over pb's etc.

The triathlon was very well organised and everyone seemed very friendly and helpful. All competitors received a t-shirt and a well stocked goody bag.

Will definitely be back next year. :wink:
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby elainemck » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Excellent katfer - you'll be doing it on your own next year (you could do it nae bother!) I've started more cyling and swimming now with the hope of maybe doing it next year although I'm not the best of any of them!

Maybe Campbeltown could host a triathlon again some day?
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:03 pm

Well done to all. IceBlue and Stuart McQuaker did well too

Provisional results can be seen at

http://www.midargyllcycleclub.co.uk/hom ... mres08.xls
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby iceblue » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:54 am

I really enjoyed my day out at the Mid Argyll Tri yesterday :D

I was in Heat 4 of the swimming and had the advantage of watching the first 3 heats before it was my turn. I was the lead swimmer in my lane, but pretty soon I found it wasn't as easy as I had been expecting as the water was so choppy that it affected my breathing and I began to slow down. At this point the swimmer behind me tapped me on the ankle meaning that I had to pull over at the end of the lane and let him past. I didn't panic and soon got into my proper swimming technique again and after a couple of lengths I had caught up with him and tapped his ankle and he had to pull over and I was back in the lead again :-) I didn't count the lengths as I went along but was glad when the signal for two lengths to go appeared. Provisional time was surprisingly 10.40 mins for 500m, much faster than I had done in training :D

Off I went to transition but it didn't go to plan ...... for some reason I couldn't get my cycle helmet on at first and wasted about a minute trying to get it on :oops: Transition time of 2.30 mins has definitely got room for improvement.

Set off at great speed on the bike ....... this was the part of the race I wasn't looking forward to as, until recently, I felt pretty nervous on the bike. As I set off on the Oban road I immediately overtook two other cyclists, then just before the turn off to Cairnbaan I passed another cyclist, and finally one more as I headed towards Kilmichael Glassary. After that I didn't see any other cyclists in front of me and no one overtook me and it didn't feel like a race, more like a training run, and I began to relax and enjoy the cycle. This leg was definitely my favourite part of the race and was thrilled with my provisional time of 40.24 mins for my 20km cycle. :D

Back to transition again and a quicker time of 1.21 mins, could have been quicker but thought I better fuel up with a gel before I set off on the run. I had decided to run without a Garmin or watch so had no idea of the pace that i was going at. I didn't really push it on the run but just kept to a steady pace. Like most of the cycle, there wasn't any runners in front of me and no one overtook me, so I just had to keep going on my own. I developed a stitch by the time I got to the roundabout heading towards Ardrishaig, but thankfully it went away. The route was along the main road and then up a short steep hill and then along a path beside the canal. I enjoyed the run without worrying about pace or pbs and was pleased to get under my target of 36 mins to record a provisional time of 35.11 for the 6.5 km run.

Total race time 1:30:06. It was great fun, and being my first triathlon I was under no pressure to pb and just enjoyed the experience :D

Afterwards I got a great goody bag which included a technical t-shirt, buff (running headwear) and water bottle. I really enjoyed the coffee and home baking as well. Overall, I would highly recommend the race which was well organised, marshalled and welcoming to beginners :D
iceblue
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Skerry » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:29 am

You done great Iceblue, as I said before all your training is paying off. It takes a lot of stamania to do the three events back to back. I can't believe you don't want a crack at a marathon :)
Skerry
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

PreviousNext

Return to Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon and 10k Run