Today's MOKRUN 2008

Details and discussion on the Half Marathon and 10k race being held in Campbeltown on Sunday 29th May 2016 at 10.30am plus general discussion about running in Kintyre! Or visit their website at www.mokrun.com

Today's MOKRUN 2008

Postby Rabmacd » Sun May 25, 2008 2:34 pm

The half marathon today was, without doubt, the hardest physical effort I have endured. Felt OK out to 6 miles, in round about 46 mins, but the next 7 were absolute torture. The lack of training took its toll and the wind made what would have been a tough 7 miles almost impossible. On several occasions I thought of giving up, but realised that we were all in the same boat and plodded on. Everyone I have talked to said the same. I wish I could say that I'm glad I've done it but at the moment I don't feel too good.

Maybe a bath and a hearty meal will make me feel a bit better. Still can't believe the winning time 1:11--that guy was flying. I just wonder what he can do on a calm day.

As usual the event went like clockwork. Well done and thanks to the organisers again
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Today's MOKRUN 2008

Postby iceblue » Sun May 25, 2008 3:06 pm

I totally agree with everything you have said there rabmacd. I felt great and did the first 6 miles in around 52 mins but the next 7 were a total struggle against the wind .... exactly the conditions I was dreading :x But, as you said, everyone was in the same boat, so I'm feeling okay about my time 8)

Well done everybody today :D
iceblue
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sun May 25, 2008 3:14 pm

Had to rush home to see the calving heifer and missed helping with the clear up.

There were many reports of how difficult the conditions out at the beach were...and on the way back in...against the wind most of the way.....the very thought of it is making me shudder!

I only did the 10k but I am pretty tired and run down now.....I find 10ks very difficult and hard going. Just could not catch Hector at the finishing line....although, I think we had the same time on the computer.

It was a great day though, organisation was terrific as always and the feel good factor before and after was wonderful.....not sure about during though!

Mrs4thgen took some pictures, I will try and post 'em before I fall fast asleep!
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sun May 25, 2008 3:24 pm

Photobucket seems to be not working...........will try later.

JDCarra and DavieP and many many other were taking lots of pictures and many will appear I am sure.
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby amron » Sun May 25, 2008 3:53 pm

Well done to everybody today, :D :D
Great crowd and well organised, pity about the wind, seen the battle between 4th gen and Hector as we were crossing the esplanade well done :D :D
What a fantastic goody bag this year :D Big thanks to all involved :mrgreen:
amron
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sun May 25, 2008 4:01 pm

Here is Morrisson flying up the Longrow with Whiston, I think, just behind. eta it is not Whiston, must be Arcari

Me chasing Hector as I did all the way till beyond the finishing line! with the first 10k lady between us.

Pans Lass heading back in from the Sound of Kintyre

Fiona28 just behind

Still knackered.......heading for the bath now.
Last edited by 4th gen Suthen' on Mon May 26, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jackiefulton » Sun May 25, 2008 5:27 pm

great day...

some good times despite the wind
felt as though I was in slow motion coming off the beach

once again a great event, thanks to all who helped make it happen
jackiefulton
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby jdcarra » Sun May 25, 2008 5:36 pm

4th gen Suthen' wrote:JDCarra and DavieP and many many other were taking lots of pictures and many will appear I am sure.

Just sorting out the many pics we took today whilst in the clock car. My friend Steve who braved sitting in the rear of the car boot area has many also.Look out for them at the ceilidh tonight on the big screen.Will post pics on here later.

Just some from my own camera, a few forum members in them, will post better selection later taken by my camera man today Steve.

Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby amron » Sun May 25, 2008 7:33 pm

Forgot to mention the nice touch from the pipe band at the start was there a piper at the turn of 10k or was it music and the brass band playing final countdown at the bottom of the big kiln Superb :D :D :D
amron
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby AP » Sun May 25, 2008 7:47 pm

We had a great time,as u can see from the hair it was a bit windy :lol: :lol:
AP
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby daftdog » Sun May 25, 2008 8:04 pm

John McFadyen has lots of pics of this year on his site now.. www.johnmcfadyenphotography.com
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby rabidcabbage » Sun May 25, 2008 9:20 pm

:D :D :D Absolutely fantastic event. I love the atmosphere generated.

Performance of the day was Roberta. About 700 metres from the finish of the 10K the lass has ran herself into the ground and could go no further. She tried to get up but couldn't and was so disappointed. Please don't lose heart and come back again next year. You did fantastically well for yourself, family and friends. Be very, very proud.

My sincere thanks to the organisers for giving there time up to make a special day that so many people enjoy.

Rabmacd- must be that pint you had in the commercial that has affected you! Hope you perk up tomorrow.
rabidcabbage
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Rabmacd » Mon May 26, 2008 12:48 am

rabidcabbage,

I tried for a second pint but couldn't face it :shock:

Just in from the Ceilidh--excellent as always. I was with a group of old friends but I wasn't very good company---quiet, tired and reserved, really just wanting my bed.

Cut my stick early. Nothing to do with the entertainment (excellent as always) or company---just me.

Heard about Roberta as well--I hope she's OK
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby whizzer » Mon May 26, 2008 6:36 am

Like to echo what everyone has said re the race organisation and atmosphere. Once again Tom and everyone connected with the race have delivered a truly spectacular and memorable race. Thanks very much to all. :D :D

I am going to commit myself to the half marathon next year (as long as hale and hearty!) as I found the 10K so tough, but am completely in awe of everyone who completes the 1/2M particularly running into the wind.

The 10K is a fantastic course, flat fast and I love the turn points, giving you a chance to wave and cheer on friends and family. Great big thanks to all the town folk who were out and encouraging and clapping the runners on. :wink:

The melee on the front line at the start of the race however is something you get sucked into, thinking these old legs surely still have some fast twitch fibres left in them. Rabidcabbage fell about laughing at me as he saw me sidle up to the front row! Folks were off so quick that the race car was in danger of being overtaken and had to respond like Lewis Hamilton on the front row!

However, by the first turn settled down into a fast pace and was watching in disbelief as Calum M and a host of other runners disappeared into the distance. However, my own race tactic of slowly catching the runners in front meant by the turn managed to catch up with the group with Mr Turner first lady and 4th gen Suthen' . In some ways this was a mistake as then Mr Turner surged off and as we were then into the wind, I had to follow and slowly reeled him back. The rest of the run out to the second turn was so tough with MR T repeating his tactic, then on my shoulder appeared the first lady having a fantastic run leg.

What a relief at the second turn - the piper playing was tremendous, but then with the wind behind you really noticed the heat - and looking back, so many other racers in close order - brilliant effort from everyone. Mr T continued his running pattern back surge, coast - how does he do that. I thought I might have broken him on the turn up the lane as I really dug in there, but no as soon as I reached the top he surged ahead!

Then disaster struck for MR T at the next road junction he turned to early me and the Marshalling yelling at him and he finally heard, but by which time he was 50+m behind. Well what a fantastic effort he put in then. I had the old lance Armstrong Mantra in my mind -"pain is only temporary - giving up is for ever" and threw everything into holding my place, turning up main street into the wind and then approaching the finish line - 50m, who appears on my shoulder MR T, tried a sprint finish....but could not sustain. Superlative response and effort by Mr Turner to remedy his mistake and pip me at the post. We were then Shortly followed by the rest of our second group of top 10 runners including the first lady, 4th gen Suthen' etc.

Never thought I would get under 40mins today, but what a race, fantastic performance by everyone, thanks for pulling me and pushing me along. I am sure I am never as tired as this after a sprint Triathlon!!! (For the anoraks out there my Garmin had my HR at the top of Zone 5 all race)

Then to cap it all my good lady wife Hazel, put in fantastic run to smash her PB from last year with a 54.30 and she showed me how to really do a sprint finish, with an amazing burst of speed to overhaul the guy in front!

Fantastic race, weather, notwithstanding the wind was just perfect, as the pictures show and the sandwiches, pastries, goody bag, burgers ….hit the spot. Brilliant many thanks – Just realised how much I have written – hope it does not bore you too much. I would certainly be interested in reading other folks race stories.

Cheers and see you next year. :wink:

PS -see the software glitch is sorted and the full results are now up - some phenomenal times in the 1/2m in particularly with the windy conditons. Also note that I was only just in front of Jim Sneddon at the end. Fantastic effort, I remember passing Jim at the start of the shore road in the first turn (the pictures show his placing to 5k)- so clearly he was reeling us all in the second part of the race, I am guessing a negative split time for your second 5k? - thats the way to finish a 10K.

Also what a fantastic time by Lesley Macfadyen first lady - just outside 40 mins, I really appreciated the hugh effort you put in along the front against the wind, I was definetly hanging on to just trying to stay with you. Well done!

PPS - better stop or i will be accused of writing a thesis next!
Last edited by whizzer on Fri May 30, 2008 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whizzer
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby jdcarra » Mon May 26, 2008 7:54 am

whizzer wrote:
Folks were off so quick that the race car was in danger of being overtaken and had to respond like Lewis Hamilton on the front row!

:shock: :shock: :wink: .

My apologies to the front runners and all who saw my bit of wheel spinning, I was warned by Hendrie that the runners would be on us in a flash :wink:.
Bit of a panic as my chum thought the clock was not switched on and jumped back out of the car to recheck it.

Apart from that wee mishap I, my wife and friends thoroughly enjoyed our day and doing the clock car bit for the event. Well done to all the runners and thanks to the Barbour boys, 4th gen and all the other volunteers.Looking forward to next years event and a proper rolling start on the gridline :lol: .

We have many photos of the runners, anyone wishing copies of them or give us your race number for individuals pm or e-mail me.

Cheers JD
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon and 10k Run