Caffeine intake

Details and discussion on the Half Marathon and 10k race being held in Campbeltown on Sunday 29th May 2016 at 10.30am plus general discussion about running in Kintyre! Or visit their website at www.mokrun.com

Caffeine intake

Postby Tom B » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:51 am

I've been trying to cut down on my coffee intake, by alternating coffee with hot orange/purple cordial drinks. Was previously drinking 6-8 coffees a day, but have almost halved that and think I'm feeling the better for it, and it's improving my running, maybe?! Anybody got experience in this area?
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:48 am

TomB, as a Canadian friend of ours would say....I drink an INSANE amount of coffee in a day....trying to cut back too with Decaf and some kind of hot diluted blackcurrant drink.......have not got to the stage of feeling the better for it yet though! :roll:

Keep us informed of the benefits you feel.

I dont think it harms the running though.....have read quite a bit about it and some say it actually helps performance like Red Bull....does not make you run faster or better just makes you THINK you can!! :roll:
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tom B » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:33 pm

4th gen Suthen' wrote: I dont think it harms the running though.....have read quite a bit about it and some say it actually helps performance like Red Bull....does not make you run faster or better just makes you THINK you can!! :roll:

ah-haa. - maybe I'll double up on coffees to see if my performance improves - got to be better than the conventional training methods!
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:01 pm

Tom B wrote:
4th gen Suthen' wrote: I dont think it harms the running though.....have read quite a bit about it and some say it actually helps performance like Red Bull....does not make you run faster or better just makes you THINK you can!! :roll:

ah-haa. - maybe I'll double up on coffees to see if my performance improves - got to be better than the conventional training methods!

Tom B, normally I am a caffeine free freak , however since I started running I was advised before a race to drink a coffee/ sports drink to help boost my performance and GUESS what it works for me. Not sure if its because I usually avoid caffeine drinks on a regular basis and when I do take it , it really boosts my energy levels. I suppose it can be like a drug . :shock: :wink:
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:46 pm

Tom B - I stopped taking caffeine when training, and to be honest didn't notice the slightest bit of difference - I was only drinking 3-4 cups a day tho'.

However when I did start taking it again, that when I realised it's effects, I felt really jittery and jumpy.

Have heard the same advice from Pans lass that a shot of caffeine prior to a helps performance, but I know that opinion seems to be divided on the subject. It's not done me any harm, but equally I'm not sure I could pinpoint any direct benefit. I think there's probably too many variables in my pre-race routine to attribute any improvement in feeling to one particular element. I'm sure decent runners with more of a routine would be able to pinpoint it's effects better.
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:29 pm

My vote has to go with the studies and say that it increases endurance and a shot of caffeine 20/30 min befor the gun does me,but as usual what might be good for one might not be for another.l know of very good ultra's who have a hit or two while out and about as they put it.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jackiefulton » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:15 pm

interesting debate!

I stopped coffee bout 5 years ago and rarely drink tea now either - feel generally more energized

not sure whether it affects my training though - am a bit of a plodder these days

keep thinking I should have a go at the Tues/ dvd training - though not free on Tuesdays

will maybe give myself a push and see if I can work up a new pb without the coffee!

well perhaps just knock a few minutes off of last year's mokrun
jackiefulton
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby iceblue » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:19 pm

I would never give up coffee ...... enjoy it too much :D Only have 3 cups a day, and maybe a tea or two :wink: I could never head out on a morning run without a cup!

Tried a caffeine boost lucozade sport drink before my last 10k, but I don't think it worked for me as it certainly didn't boost my performance :(
iceblue
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Tom B » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:35 am

jackiefulton wrote:I stopped coffee bout 5 years ago and rarely drink tea now either - feel generally more energized

yeah I agree, for me it is a more energised/less fatigued feeling in general, rather than specifically when running. Interested in the comments though about taking a shot 20/30 minutes before heading out. Maybe we should look at setting up an espresso bar on the esplanade on race day morning......
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:56 am

I read somewhere that an APPLE has the same boosting effect as caffeine in the morning or at any time in the day...but, I must say, I am, not eating an apple just now......I have the first cup of strong, black coffee half drunk right in front of me.... :D just gathering the courage and energy to go back out and get a new born calf sucking its very angry mother.......UH OH :shock: .......potential kick on the knee for me........I'll be careful...dont want any more injuries!
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:08 am

[quote="4th gen Suthen'"]I have the first cup of strong, black coffee half drunk right in front of me.... :D just gathering the courage and energy to go back out and get a new born calf sucking its very angry mother.......UH OH :shock: .......potential kick on the knee for me........I'll be careful...dont want any more injuries![/quote

4th gen if I was up before at 5.56am I would need a strong coffee too . :shock: :lol:

Hope you mananged to get the new born calf off its mother injury free. :shock:

An expresso bar on the esplanade would work a treat TomB ....... :lol: :lol:
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:41 am

Tom,

I have a book that I refer to as my running bible. There is a suggestion that caffeine intake just prior and during a long run can aid your performance. In fact the winner of the 1972 Olympic Marathon, Frank Shorter, drank de-fizzed coca cola all the way round the course.

There is also a suggestion that a caffeine hit just before a run can help asthmatics, by widening the blood vessels in the lungs. Will have to give that a try before my LSR tomorrow.

The IOC considers caffeine to be a performance-enhancing drug, though its reckoned that you would have to consume six to eight cups in a very short period just prior to a race to get to banned levels.
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:56 pm

Rabmacd wrote:Tom,

. There is a suggestion that caffeine intake just prior and during a long run can aid your performance. In fact the winner of the 1972 Olympic Marathon, Frank Shorter, drank de-fizzed coca cola all the way round the course.

There is also a suggestion that a caffeine hit just before a run can help asthmatics, by widening the blood vessels in the lungs. Will have to give that a try before my LSR tomorrow.

The IOC considers caffeine to be a performance-enhancing drug, though its reckoned that you would have to consume six to eight cups in a very short period just prior to a race to get to banned levels.

Interesting Rabmacd ....caffeine works for me but as I said maybe its because I avoid it normally. Better watch out incase we get drug tested at this years MOK. :lol: :lol:
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Darren » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:00 pm

i have never tried caffeine(cant stand it), but any isotonic drink on the market will boost your blood sugars, but you definitely need to take it at least 15 minutes before the start if you want it to be in your system..
personally i drink lucozade sport, but red bull does give you a boost, just not wings!!!
Darren
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby fiona28 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:16 pm

i too do the djd coffee hit just b4 i go out in the morning. i had been finding that having my breakfast a couple of hours b4 my long run was leaving me with the "runners trots" - is that what you call it???

so i decided in edinburgh that i wasnt going to eat b4 i ran as i had a carbo load up the night b4 and felt that was enough to take me through. so when i got up i simply had a coffee and a granola bar, i took 9 mins off my pb time and got 1 hr 51min and 09 secs - so near to 1 hr 50 but never mind :D and even managed a sprint finish :oops:
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon and 10k Run