Favourite Routes

Details and discussion on the Half Marathon and 10k race being held in Campbeltown on Sunday 29th May 2016 at 10.30am plus general discussion about running in Kintyre! Or visit their website at www.mokrun.com

Favourite Routes

Postby Sport » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:15 pm

Anyone care to share the routes they run, the distance etc?

Which ones are your favourites etc?
Please visit the Sports Council's new website and check out our latest news! http://www.southkintyresportscouncil.com
Sport
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby DJD » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:59 pm

For me its up by the Lussa area and more so now that you can run round it. The only draw back is the getting to it if you don't use the car.its just under 5 miles what ever route you run and as you know quite hilly.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sport » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:51 pm

DJD wrote:For me its up by the Lussa area and more so now that you can run round it. The only draw back is the getting to it if you don't use the car.its just under 5 miles what ever route you run and as you know quite hilly.

Cheers DJD - so where exactly to you go, start etc? For those not familiar with the route.

So no-one else got a route to share? Good to share info 8)
Please visit the Sports Council's new website and check out our latest news! http://www.southkintyresportscouncil.com
Sport
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby DJD » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:40 pm

This weekend l started at the Campbeltown/Penniver juntion on the Kintyre Way up towards Gobagrennan(where you can park your car)then either run clockwise or anti-clockwise,l would say clockwise is easiest due to the lay of the land at the start,but then again it would depend on the wind direction.

l clocked the route at 5.52miles and checked it in both directions,just to check the accuracy of the garmin watch.

l would sum it up as a moderate/hardish run with rolling hills that would test you if run at pace.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby iceblue » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:39 pm

Thought I would try some of this route at Lussa today. Wasn't sure where to park so I ran for about half a mile on the road before I reached the off road part. It was a good surface to run on, dry and fairly flat on the part I was on. I turned back at the 2.5 mile mark to make a total of 5 miles today, but I would like to go further another day. I can see why it is a favourite route of yours DJD.

I think the run today actually helped ease my sore legs from last night, as they are feeling okay again tonight :)
iceblue
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby DJD » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:47 pm

Yes it is good area Iceblue.

The distance is 6.52 and not 5.52 which l put down earlier.

Sorry.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fiona28 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:07 pm

i cant get passed the feeling of climbing benguillion and doing that bloody awful incline a few times to test myself. its a lovely route. i like to go down to the graveyard and follow the road right up passed the farm and onto the loch, cross the stile and then paddle across the wee overflow bit to bring you steadily upwards. :oops:

from my house to my house is only just over 3 miles but its a hard one :shock: i love it :oops:
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby caro » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:49 am

Here's one for the intermediates - think it comes in around the five mile mark and the girls who I meet up with on a Tuesday have done it a few times. Rocky Burn to Stewarton and back - relatively flat, but challenging enough if you are trying to aim for between 4 and 6 miles in training.
caro
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ileach B » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:47 am

I like running the Glen in Glenbarr, 6 miles in total. Been working on extra bit's each week and reached the 6 last week.

There isn't a lot of flat, but the hills up always have hills down. so by the time I've got my breath back from running down a hill I've gained speed to get up the next one!

Plus I think I am just bias about it!
Ileach B
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Favourite Routes

Postby fiona28 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:57 pm

been touring beguillion a bit since the weathers been pretty good for it and there's loads of wee trails that you can push yourself on by doing what i call "rebounds" - pretty much means what is says running a part of the hill one way then doing it in the direction you've just come from. :oops: fair gets the mileage up and you can use different paces to beat previous rebound time :wink: i think other people call them out and backs but rebounds is quicker to say :lol:
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ninja Mania » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:32 pm

Mine has to be the loop from Machrihanish up round Killipool loch down through Drumlemble and back to Machrihanish.
Its a tough run up to the mast to start with, but the next 5/6 miles are flat and down hill. We have done it a couple of times on the bikes too, but I have still not managed up to the mast in one go I still take 2 stops to get up to top, it will take a better man/woman than me to do it, its tough and hard on the calves, but when you get to the top the view is amazing.

This is a borrowed photo to give you,se an idea.
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jackiefulton » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:09 pm

Hi, going to try this..

had a look at googlemap - does route head through forest?
looks as if there is a gap ie no path from forest to farmhouse at highest point out of Drumlemble
is there a path?
is the route manageable without an os map!!!
jackiefulton
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ninja Mania » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:31 pm

Hi Jackie, if you mean the one I done, then here is the route....
Head right up to and pass the mast above Machrihanish village, follow the forestry road (which is in excellent condition) right round to the end of it, you will come to an old house ruin, and a grassy turning point, go over the fence and head for the loch, keep the loch on your right hand side, head towards the old boat shed and to the top of the wee hill, and then sorto head towards Davaar island (you should see it ok), untill you come to a gate, then follow a bit of a rough road for a few hundred metre,s till you see High Tirfergus farm below you, keep to the field left of the farm and head downhill till you meet up with the farm road, this takes you right down through Drumlemble and onto the main road again.
Great run on a nice day, I just need to find a route that can bypass the rough road bit and it would be perfect.
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jackiefulton » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:49 pm

thanks ninja,

hopefully won't need rescued!
love the thought of being at machrihanish and heading towards davaar island! another route with great views by the sound of it
jackiefulton
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby DJD » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:56 pm

Sounds and looks good Ninja,no doubt l will give it a bash within the comming months,help towards our marathon training.as you know running the same route becomes a bit stale.

How about putting it on mymap, to add the number of growing running route's that other people have mapped on the site,(if its possible)as mymap only caters for roads and big tracks.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon and 10k Run