Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon and 10k race - May 06

Details and discussion on the Half Marathon and 10k race being held in Campbeltown on Sunday 29th May 2016 at 10.30am plus general discussion about running in Kintyre! Or visit their website at www.mokrun.com

Re: 10k

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:37 pm

weebiddy wrote:I have been holidaying at Tayinloan with my family for 4 years now and was delighted to join in the 10k on Sunday with a friend who also has a caravan there (she was 2nd lady vet!) . The timing was good as we were there for the holiday weekend. The atmosphere was great and very friendly and the whole event was superbly organised. It has been very interesting to follow the posts to learn how the event materialised. Well done to the committee for doing such a great job. I do hope it will become an annual event as we'll be sure to enter again next year. May even consider the half marathon next. Holiday weekend again please!!!
Great photos, too, though I wish hadn't looked quite so exhausted and so near the start,too!

Liz (#555)

PS My legs still hurt!!!

This will be you then Liz! :-) Well Done

Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby elainemck » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:18 pm

Yes well done Roddy!

I know I was very disappointed in Kevin and Andrew! Andrew did show up at the finish line to cheer everyone on so I did get a chance to appropriately tell him off so Andrew you better do it next year!!! :lol:
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby weebiddy » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:17 pm

Eeeh, gads, :roll:, tis me indeed. thanks for that, I think!
weebiddy
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby andmat » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:15 pm

Yes, sorry Elaine.

Mr Mathieson and Mr Scally were somewhat ashamed and envious at not taking part in what was a tremendously well organised and well attended event. We could say that neither of us were fit, but that would be a pretty lame excuse.

With a view to taking part in next year's event, Mr Mathieson is making his "comeback" in a 10k event this Sunday, after a few years of minor injuries and a major bout of lazy-itis. Not expecting too much as he will be carrying a couple of stones more than when he last raced.

Mr Scally is about to start training for this year's Glasgow Half Marathon/Great Scottish Run, which if he does, will be his 20th consecutive appearance in that event in all its formats (originally it was a full marathon, then a 25k for a couple of years, before becoming one of the most popular half-marathons in the UK).

Can we expect to see Mr Ninja Mania on the start line next year as well? C'mon Peter, I think you've caught the running bug.
andmat
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

MOK race

Postby Pans Lass » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:54 pm

Just wanted to thank the organisers and supporters for a fabulous day .... really a day to remember. Everyone from runners to spectators seemed to have enjoyed it.

Hope this will be an annual event .

I would like to take this opportunity to thank my sponsors and supporters who were there on the day to encourage and cheer me on. A grand total of £730 was raised for Breasr Cancer Care. I could not have done it without you!!

Gail Williams
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ninja Mania » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:24 pm

Excellent Gail, and well done too you, I could not have managed it thats for sure.

Andmat is that you throwing down the gauntlet to me ? do you know how old I really am, if its not you its 4th Gen wanting a challenge, who knows. Maybe next yearI will take you'se on.
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Darren » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:42 pm

Yes, a great day, and as everybody has said, the organisation and support was something else, even for campbeltown, and now i have almost recovered, hopefully it will be an annual event.
A big thanks to everyone who sponsored me, reckon i raised £325 for the South Kintyre Diabetes Group, which i hope to present to them ASAP.
Also, a BIG thank you to AOB(you know who you are), for getting me over the line...
next year i'll need to train properly or stick to the 10K.!!!!
Darren
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon and 10k race - May 06

Postby Duke o' Ralston » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:18 am

Tom B wrote:Are marathons past their sell by date, or would there be support for a local half marathon next year? The run out from the Aqualibrium to Westport, across to Machrihanish and back in to the town is almost exactly thirteen miles and would be a pretty impressive route. I know there used to be various 10ks around the town, but are any still going? Even a handful of runners would make it worthwhile, and might manage to attract a few people down to the town.........

I remember when this post first apeared, amazing to see what has developed from then, well done Mr Barbour.
"Even a handful of runners would make it worthwhile and might manage to attract a few people to the town" ehh, 500???
I thank yow
Duke o' Ralston
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:39 pm

Duke, I remember that they were hoping they might be able to get 30 runners :lol:

4th gen Suthen' wrote:I reckon we could get up to 30 + entrants through word of mouth and keen locals and friends/rels of locals.....
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby mrn » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:42 pm

Just wonderful what has happened - well done to all. I love following these threads and loved last Sunday morning in the town.

There were visitors staying at the Self Catering unit just up from us and they loved every minute of it. Well done to all!
mrn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Previous

Return to Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon and 10k Run