Great Winter Run/Dublin

Details and discussion on the Half Marathon and 10k race being held in Campbeltown on Sunday 29th May 2016 at 10.30am plus general discussion about running in Kintyre! Or visit their website at www.mokrun.com

Postby fiona28 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:44 pm

Where do you start??? very pleased with my time also, 50:19 which is a pb for me that i hadnt expected having only run 3 times since the half marathon in edinburgh 3 weeks ago - so quite chuffed. i had been going to trot round but decided it would be fun to try for my first official snow pb. 8) like iceblue said(brill report by the way iceblue) the first 5k was a skoosh but the 2nd 5k was full of bigger than small inclines :oops: i am pleased to report however that i only did my second half 30 seconds slower than my first half but mind u the first half was quite congested and i ended up covering 0.1 of a mile more than any of the other wee toon runners :shock: with the amount of weaving in and out i had to do :wink:

what a lot of male runners, did the irish women hear we were coming and not bother or could they just not keep up to the speed of the wee toon runners :wink: :D :wink: very nice to pass men on the hills, i remember thinking if i could run the gobagrennan hill that id done at jogscotland with djd then i could do these ones, had been told there was a big hill at the end and thot the one at 7k - 8k was it and as i was catching my breath on the down hill of that one i looked and saw the "big hill at the end" and it was out b4 i could help it - i just shouted f*** - no way, look at that thing!!! :oops: but instead of greetin i just ran right at it, i knew if i didnt that my time would b out the window :cry: cos id managed 5 minute k's the whole way upto that. after that the legs were pretty much dead but i held on for dear life :oops: :oops:
then i saw the 600m markers and wanted to push but realised i was pushing all that i could what seemed like far away on the horizon was other markers coming up, surely they were so far away they must be 200m but no they were 400m, so it was just hang in there and get to the line. once i crossed i was rewarded by some hand shakes and hugs by the lovely irish men i had run with, they hadnt garmins so i shared the race details with them and we all decided that we were all brilliant :D 8)

that done i headed with iceblue to the meeting point of "W" for wee toon runners to be greeted by our supersid and his lovely wife jane. supersid had run a 42min race and looked as fresh as a 20 year old. after that pans lass and moi joined us both having crossed the line together in 54 min and on their heels was catherine gallacher (daughter of supersid) with 55 min, excellent time for a first outing. :D and the rest of the wee toon runners filtered home each and every one of them with a pb.

this really is some result considering the course is a trifle harder than the MOK 10k route so expect many more pbs in may :D 8) :D

and off to the pub we went - and straight to the public bar, no fancy lounges for us jist right in amongst the "real people" and as we were sitting partaking of the black stuff the news came in that oor sid had been promoted to "super" status as he was listed on the website as second male in his age category 8) (this category shall not be named) :wink: this of course was all that was needed to make the afternoon go even better than it was going to already :D

this story could go on for hours, no official diary was written as pans lass joined us in glasgow and had the directions for me but im hopeful more people will post their fave memories, much is censored like the reason for the song "ring of fire" being so poignant for me, coally bags and firemans lifts are also out of bounds as is the identity of the mysterious Lady J :wink:

i must say tho that the irish dancers were good but the scottish country dancing girls just did themselves proud and i think we showed that place how to party all 15 of us in our bright yellow Jogscotland Campbeltown t-shirts and bottles of water :wink:
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Jock Strap » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:44 pm

Well done to all - sounds like you had a great time.

Any photos? 8)

Well done SS!
Jock Strap
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby DJD » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:01 pm

Cracking race report Fiona 28,well done to everyone on Pbs good runs etc.Sid what can we say," just brill and well deserved"one to savour and a trip to remember and that goes to all of you.

Enjoy your rest.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Katfer » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:02 pm

Whole weekend sounded absolutely brilliant and well done to you all with your pb's especially on what sounded a challenging course, all the hard work recently certainly did pay off, and big well done to "Super Sid".
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Pans Lass » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:46 pm

Great race reports girls ....think you have covered it all fiona28 , Caro and Iceblue :)

You right fiona28 where do you start .......first I would like to say we ALL had a brilliant time from start to finish and thank you to everyone for being a team player.

Sorry no Jog Scotland diary this time but I am sure from everyone's own reports it will give a good idea of what we all got up too. Well not everything........you heard the saying whatever happens in Dublin stays in Dublin. :wink: :D

Could not believe that on the morning of the race we woke to a light dusting of snow but by the time the race came round it had cleared and the sun came out, however it was very cold. Thanks to wee Moi for the bin liners which kept us warm before the race started.

I was happy with my time of 54.16 but felt I could have pushed myself more however it was a challenging course with quite a few hills to climb. The first 5 k for me was really enjoyable and i felt I was fleeing along with all the runners ,mainly irish men of course. Had to agree fiona28 there seemed to be a lot more male runners than females. :wink: Followed this guy round most of the way as his t-shirt on the back read 'impossible is nothing' and so I focused on this positive quote , however on the hills I am proud to say I managed to stay at a good even pace all the way and kept thinking to myself if i can run up Gobagrennan then I can do this . :oops: Nae bother to wee toon runners. As I ran round the course I am sure we covered all four seasons especially when the hailstones came pouring down at the 5-6k mark. It felt good as they cooled you off in preperation for the BIG hill at the end fiona28 swore at. :lol: Aroung the 7k mark I got a tap on the shoulder and looked round to see wee moi right behind me so we both ran the last km together.... At one point wee moi said are you ready to go for it pans lass and I said not just yet moi as i thought I better keep my last puff for the last 0.5k . On hind sight I should have pushed it and i may have got the 53 mins I was looking for . :oops: Next time .....
however I got to say I really enjoyed the race and was more proud of myself that I 'took' the hills without any
bother. :D After the finale we all headed for the pub to try that well deserved pint of irish guiness...

fiona28 wrote:and off to the pub we went - and straight to the public bar, no fancy lounges for us jist right in amongst the "real people" and as we were sitting partaking of the black stuff the news came in that oor sid had been promoted to "super" status as he was listed on the website as second male in his age category 8) (this category shall not be named) :wink: this of course was all that was needed to make the afternoon go even better than it was going to already :D

this story could go on for hours, no official diary was written as pans lass joined us in glasgow and had the directions for me but im hopeful more people will post their fave memories, much is censored like the reason for the song "ring of fire" being so poignant for me, coally bags and firemans lifts are also out of bounds as is the identity of the mysterious Lady J :wink:

i must say tho that the irish dancers were good but the scottish country dancing girls just did themselves proud and i think we showed that place how to party all 15 of us in our bright yellow Jogscotland Campbeltown t-shirts and bottles of water :wink:

Think you covered the rest of the evening fiona 28. We sure did show the Irish how the wee toon runners can dance and have a good time. At one point a couple said to me that we were more entertaining than the Irish dancers...not sure if this was a compliment or not . :oops: I think they enjoyed watching how the Canadian Barn dance was done. We even had the band play fleur of Scotland.

Well done again to our own Super Sid you did the wee toon runners proud and so did everyone else. :D And thanks a million for helping me at the end ...think the hot cuppa did it . :oops:

For anyone who wants to see their times at 2.5km , 5km and 7.5km just go onto the website and it will give you a breakdown of your times.
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:58 pm

Haven't forgot but photos will follow soon. :wink:
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:29 pm

Finally recovered I think! My sides were really sore on Tuesday but think that was probably down to the amount of laughing and nothing to do with the run! Finally donned my trainers today after finishing the horrendous gentle irish inclines and saying I would never run again :oops: . Very pleased with my 65 considering how tough it was. Caro has my photos on disc and will post some of the uncensored ones later :lol: :lol:
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby caro » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:24 pm

Here's the evidence...!!!

caro
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby amron » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:47 pm

Fab photos Caro Well done to you all, looks like you all had a brilliant time :)
amron
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Pans Lass » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:54 pm

:oops: :D :lol: :oops: :D :lol: Brilliant photos Caro and Ags :oops: :D :lol: :D :lol:

Great memories of a fantastic time....glad we wore the yellow t-shirts on the nite oot....you couldna miss us. :oops: As the nite went on you can see the evidence of everyone having a ball.

Brilliant group photo of us all with our Irish t shirts and medals on . 8)
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:01 pm

Well done Caro - great post and great photos. A post with more photos than JDCarra now that is something! 8)

Looks like you all had a ball and now I know why they call him Super Sid!! :lol: :wink:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fiona28 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:54 pm

that brings it all back lassies absolutely fantastic, aye we fair stuck oot with those t-shirts on right enough. what a great weekend it was - and proof of the snow for supersid who had none :wink:

dont we all look well the morning after with our medals :D 8)

you are right mr p, supersid and his harem of lassies in yellow :D :wink: :D 8) :D mind you nane o us could catch him, he ran hame minutes ahead o us all to Jane who was waiting on the finishing line for him :shock:
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby caro » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:51 pm

Yes, it was great looking back through all the photos! Believe it or not Davie P, this was only a select few - it was hard to choose! :lol:
As you can see - we all had a great time as the morning after photo proves in my case! :oops:

Hoping Sid will post Eilidh B's photo with Ronan!!!! :D
caro
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Pans Lass » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:06 pm

caro wrote:As you can see - we all had a great time as the morning after photo proves in my case! :oops:

Hoping Sid will post Eilidh B's photo with Ronan!!!! :D

Why do you think Ags and I had on the dark glasses at 8am in the morning to go for breakfast for . :wink: :oops:
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sid Gallagher » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:33 pm

My pics are old tech so I'll put it in for developing tomorrow.

Great photos of everyone. :D
Sid Gallagher
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Previous

Return to Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon and 10k Run