Oban races this year...

Details and discussion on the Half Marathon and 10k race being held in Campbeltown on Sunday 29th May 2016 at 10.30am plus general discussion about running in Kintyre! Or visit their website at www.mokrun.com

Postby SmithD » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:21 pm

Had thought about entering Oban, but just not prepared enough. It has all been treadmill training, but I wll def be ready for MOK 10k next year! :?
SmithD
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Pans Lass » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:53 pm

Less than 2 weeks to Oban guys....anyone interested in car pooling. I am happy to drive. :wink:
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:56 pm

Is the yella bus not going?
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:10 pm

Unfortunately fiona28 is unable to go to Oban and she the only one in the group licensed to drive the big yella bus so we have no driver. However if someone can go sit the test the bus should be available. :wink:
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby caro » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:20 am

Am still heading for Oban! Pans Lass - let me know what you and Ags are doing re getting there!
caro
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ags » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:36 pm

Hi Caro - don't think I'm going to run Oban as have still not managed to fit in much training :oops: BUT I feel as "official jogscotland photographer" I must still come and take the pics! Just been talking to Pans on the phone and its just the two of us so far - I am sure she won't mind me saying that your seat is now reserved!! If she's driving I won't have to pack the crystal glasses this trip :lol: :lol:
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Pans Lass » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:06 pm

Seat reserved for Moi too so thats four and car can take 5 comfortably so room for one more. Any takers ?

Ags, glad to hear you are still going to be our official photographer.

Bad news nae wine allowed in my car..... :lol: :lol:
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby iceblue » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:11 pm

I wasn't sure what my plans were for next weekend but I'm now staying over in Oban on Sunday night, so I'm making my own way there and back - see you there :)
iceblue
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Pans Lass » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:53 pm

Just read this post iceblue after I had posted you one under 'How's the training' ....will meet up with you in Oban before race. What time you planning to leave ?
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby iceblue » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:16 pm

I hadn't thought about it Pans Lass, but knowing me it will be early! I can't settle on race day until I arrive at the event and I always like to leave in plenty of time, just in case ....
iceblue
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:42 am

I received some good local knowledge yesterday on the new route.

Seems the first mile or so is down through the town then quite sharply and steeply up the "old" road to Connell, pretty soon that flattens out and is quite sheltered and easy going all the way till it goes back down into Connell.

After a very short meander round the village it turns back up into the hills onto the "old OLD" road back to Oban. This road is steep and has long uphill stretches and, in fact, is hardly a road at all :shock: more a rough farm track sort of trail......but it must be OK for running on!

So I suppose the race can be broken down into 4 sections.........first mile or so in Oban, the "old" road to Connell then the "old OLD" road back before another section to the finish at the Atlantis Leisure centre.....easy!!

Thanks to Janice Forrest for the info, we studied the map after the church yesterday.
I entered by post last week and they sent the map but very little else, I was kind of hoping to get my number so I could have it pinned on the night before.......to save doing so shaking fingers in Oban just before the race :? :roll: the less hassle and queues and mental energy used pre race the better.

Iceblue, I also like to be there at least 90 mins before the start time.....to get relaxed and warmed up..make good use of the facilities :roll: savour the atmosphere etc etc....I know to non runners that sounds like the biggest load of old nonsense!!

I also have a trainer problem....they have just about had it.....likely should have had another pair broken in and ready but will just have to go with them.....they surely will have another 30 or so miles in them.....for final easy runs this week and the race.

Met 2 disappointed Campbeltown lassies at the Aqualibrium door at 9.00 on Sat morning (doesn't open till 10.00!) and they are heading to Oban as well for the 10k. They dont contribute to this but I know they read with great interest :wink: .
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Katfer » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:54 am

New to the forum, but am heading also to Oban on Sunday with hubby and kids (family outing) for moral support as my running partner can't make it, so hope to see some friendly local faces.
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ags » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:19 pm

I have decided not to run Katfer as haven't really done anything since Glasgow but going along with the girls for some support and to take the photos. Will be sure to give you a big cheer. (and if you have been reading the rest of the forum you will see I got my hols booked- thanks for the info) :lol: . Back to the topic - run well on Sunday :D
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Katfer » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:09 pm

Thanks Ags. Always helps when you see a friendly face.
So envious of you goin to Florida. Couldn't rate it high enough as a great family holiday. You will have a ball. Hopefully it will be us this time next year.
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Pans Lass » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:52 pm

Tried to figure out the route myself 4th gen but the map is not very clear so thanks for the inside info...looks like we will all be together for the first few miles . I was hoping my number would be here too but looks like we will have to pick it up at registration.

Spoke to the girls at the class tonight and we plan to leave at 8am sharp...so Ags I will be there for you at 7.40am . Mind the camera and w....... :lol:

Do you think that will give us plenty of time to check in...relax...soak up the atmosphere . I dont want to get there and be rushed. The pre race nerves are enough to handle on their own. :oops:

Will look out for you Katfer....we will all be there to support each other. 8)
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon and 10k Run