Oban races this year...

Details and discussion on the Half Marathon and 10k race being held in Campbeltown on Sunday 29th May 2016 at 10.30am plus general discussion about running in Kintyre! Or visit their website at www.mokrun.com

Postby Ags » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:37 pm

What's the scoop with the tshirts - spill the beans :lol: :lol: :lol: Well done everybody - all you girls with your pb's - Claire and Katfer - glad I wasn't there now - peching in at the end! Glad you all had a great day :D x
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby DJD » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:05 pm

l, its a shame l had to disappear, but believe me l would have loved to been there at the end to really enjoy the great success we all had and the commardarie,amongest you all.

l will leave it untill tomorrow,what l would like to say about the day.

Great photo's 4th gen.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Katfer » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:35 am

Had a great day - a bit warm though :oops: Everyone had exceptional times and all went home on a high - via Tesco, Argos, Semi-chem.............. Campbeltown certainly was well represented and we all did the wee toon proud.
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby caro » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:17 am

Well done everyone again!

Had a great day and am still on a high - although the legs are a bit sair!! :cry:

Good job putting the photos on 4th Gen - those yellow T-shirts certainly get us noticed!! (Nothing to do with the cheering and general nonsense from the Wee Toon reps! - all the kids were great wee supprters, too!) Not to mention the T-shirt stall.....

Like Pans Lass, wee bit disappointed not to get a medal or something at the end of this one - would have been nice to get a momento of some sort. Claire and Katfer gave us something to cheer though when they were awarded their prizes - well done! A tough little route in the end and I agree, Katfer - the sun belting down didn't help. Think I'll be joining the sunglasses brigade soon!

Thanks to Pans Lass for getting us up and back from Oban safely and in great form - and to DJ John Armour for his wee request on Argyll FM. That got us moving again! :lol:
caro
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby DJD » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:11 pm

l agree with everyone,it was a great day out, and the thing that stood out for me was the "cheer" for 4th gen,iceblue and me as we finished the 1/2 from the girls as we came around the corner,that was a welcome and a half in anyones book. Thankyou.

Well done to you all with your individual efforts,and help towards each other within the 10k race.,you certainly made yourselves proud and you certainaly made an impact on the atmosphere.

l'm looking forward to next year already as part of bigger group.

Once again well done everyone.

4th gen was that tough or what.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Katfer » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:15 pm

By way the 4th gen, for the record - I was unfortunately the veteran and Claire was the senior. Talk about feelin ancient!! Certainly feel it today.
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:35 pm

You are right DJD, the course was an absolute monster, the road up to Connell, especially the first mile of it, but all of it really! was just too steep. It did remind me of heading North on the Leerside with Cruachan instead of the Arran mountains in the distance. The road back from Connell was just as bad! the underfoot conditions awkward but perfectly OK.......it was a dry sunny day, if it had been raining things would have been different on that section and pretty unpleasant.

There was a lot of moaning and muttering about it in the dressing room, I did not join in as the young organisers are so pleasant and friendly and I know how difficult it is to get things right but I do feel it was a mistake to set the course SOOO dificult. The winning time was about 8 mins slower than usual and that says a lot............I will be back next year, with a different race strategy! but I'm not sure there will be 76 others unless they change it back!

Yep, that was a fantastic welcome from the Jog Scotland girls :D I heard the cheers and shouts as I was running down the hill and thought it was the local hero getting cheered home........turned out it was DJD!! and then when I came in I thought the other local Oban hero must have been just about to overtake me and only realised it was our lassies cheering for me as I crossed the line! thankyou very much, it was wonderful....quite moving even!!
And then DJD and I added our cheers for Iceblue coming in just after.

There is great camaraderie at these events, especially when Campbeltown folk meet away from home! but in general as well.

I met up again with a man I first met at the NY marathon in 1996 and see him every year at Oban....Jim Duff fae Callander if emdy knows him........63 he is now but he got 2nd place in the super vet category this year....his first prize ever......but he was not there to receive it.....away home for a Scotland on TV Rugby party!

Oh and sorry Katefer for making you admit you are now a vet runner! :oops:

And the T Shirts.........emdy want a T Shirt? really!! one or two spares came down the road....!! legally of course!
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby moi » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:00 pm

Also enjoyed my day, abit too hot for me as you can see from the photo :oops: Think we were the noisest bunch there! Good to see katfer & claire getting a place,Well Done :D Thanks to Pans Lass for the lift up your driving was brill got us there in plenty time!! WELL DONE EVERYONE.
moi
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Carmen » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:29 pm

Congrats to everyone in the 10k & 1/2 yesterday in Oban. You all did really well with pb's and to Katfer and Claire. Sounds like a great day out.
Carmen
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Pans Lass » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:12 pm

Hope everyone has recovered from Oban especially the half marathon runners DJD, 4th gen and iceblue......you all deserved a medal after completing that race. Think I will stick to the Oban 10k's . :wink:

Carmen hope to see you at Ormsary on the 4th. Just filled in my application tonight. Deadline for entries 26th Oct . Looks like we are going to have a full yella bus for this one. 8)

Moi ...this is for you ...thank you. :wink:
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:14 pm

Sounds like you all had a great day - well done again - it sounds like a tough one!! Feel a bit guilty now that I had a day in the comfort of my own home but still have a t-shirt 8) 8) :lol: 8) 8)
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby fiona28 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:10 pm

a humungus well done to all with pb's flying all over the place :D like ags you are all making feel quite ashamed :( i was sitting in the garden and thought about you al and wondered was it quite that hot in oban as it was here and hoped it wasnt but it was and you all still did it 8)

fantastic work by all 8)

glad i wasnt doing the half marathon with you's djd 4th and iceblue but well done - it sounds scary - builds character :D :D

glad to hear of the cameraderie, thats one of the things that you remember most, the support others give you :D :D
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby iceblue » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:27 pm

Sorry guys for not posting sooner, but I had a real problem trying to post last night as everytime I hit the submit button it took me back to the log-on screen and I lost my post .... about 5 times that happened, so I gave up and here goes again :roll: Maybe I still hadn't recovered from Sunday :wink:

Good description of the route 4th Gen, an "absolute monster" it was, and all that heat and sunshine didn't help either!

I certainly got a great welcome home from everyone when I eventually crossed the finishing line .... never been so glad to finish a race, but that feeling soon fades and I know I want to try it again next year and improve my time. That probably sounds insane to anyone who isn't a runner, but roll on next year 8)

Well done to everyone for their achievements on Sunday :D
iceblue
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Pans Lass » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:20 pm

iceblue wrote: .... never been so glad to finish a race, but that feeling soon fades and I know I want to try it again next year and improve my time. That probably sounds insane to anyone who isn't a runner, but roll on next year 8)

:D
Well said iceblue...could'nt agree more.
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fiona28 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:46 pm

i sure know what you mean iceblue, i had one of those on gigha, but a few days later you swear you will beat it next year!!!

well done u, great attitude :D
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon and 10k Run