Veterans

Details and discussion on the Half Marathon and 10k race being held in Campbeltown on Sunday 29th May 2016 at 10.30am plus general discussion about running in Kintyre! Or visit their website at www.mokrun.com

Veterans

Postby Joan Brown » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:04 pm

Hello fellow runners
I am hoping to run the 10k which will be my 6th 10k since I turned 73 nearly 2 years ago so I guess that puts me firmly in the 'veteran' category. My husband Jim and I have had many good holidays in Kintyre so this gives us a chance to come back once again and for me to try anothe run. We live in Cumbernauld and I can be found most weekends tottering around Broadwood Loch- I believe there are other runners coming from Cumbernauld- anyone from the Craigmarloch area? Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Keep on running!
Jo Brown
Joan Brown
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Annie » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:07 pm

You go girlfriend!!!!!!!!!!!!
Luv ya billions!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:48 pm

Seriously! That is very cool! When did you start running?
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

veterans

Postby Joan Brown » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:34 pm

About 2 years ago when I decided to grow old healthily if not particularly gracefully (you should see me running!} and witha lot of encouragement from my daughter -in-law who was running off the effect of having 3 children in 6 years and who introduced me to her fitness trainer.Before that I only ever ran for a bus alth0ugh I always did a lof of walking.
Jo Brown
Joan Brown
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:41 pm

Lucky you to have a daughter-in-law who loves you and wants to keep you around! :lol: :lol: Sounds like a wonderful feature story to get others who aren't in the 30-somethings incentive to give it a try.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:02 pm

I'm 58 and could'nt run to catch a bus....all down to having a bad knee which needs replacing.

Also have a car which means there is no need to catch a bus :lol:

Seriously though, all the best to you come May.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

veterans

Postby Joan Brown » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:52 pm

Bill,
Thanks for your good wishes.
Bobbie,
Yes, my daughter in law is a gem. Your point about encouraging older runners is a good one- I have twice run in the Lanzarote 1/4 marathon (they also have a marathon and 1/2 marathon) and they have an over 70's category which is well supported and there are prizes for the winners in that category. Might be an idea for Mokrun if there are enough entrants in that age group. It could be 'vintage'-or perhaps 'old crocks' might bemore appropriate!!!
Joan Brown
Joan Brown
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Rabmacd » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:43 pm

Joan,

Good on you. I took up running again, after many years' lay off, for last year's MOKRUN. Only realised then how much I had missed it.

All the best and see you in May.
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Joan Brown - an inspiration to us all...

Postby Ship called Dignity » Tue May 29, 2007 12:17 am

Joan Brown wrote:Hello fellow runners
I am hoping to run the 10k which will be my 6th 10k since I turned 73 nearly 2 years ago so I guess that puts me firmly in the 'veteran' category. My husband Jim and I have had many good holidays in Kintyre so this gives us a chance to come back once again and for me to try anothe run. We live in Cumbernauld and I can be found most weekends tottering around Broadwood Loch- I believe there are other runners coming from Cumbernauld- anyone from the Craigmarloch area? Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Keep on running!
Jo Brown

Joan,

I've read your postings on here with much interest and finally had the pleasure of meeting you and your husband Jim over the weekend and none more so when I nearly took the both of you out with mini bus today :wink: :wink:

An absolute inspiration to us all - young and old - to get a personal best and to finally cap it off by telling me you and Jim left the Ceilidh after 1am gives us all something to look forward to (even if it is a dance with Rab McD in the Vic! :wink: )

Great to meet you both and look forward to seeing you both again! 75 years young!

Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Tue May 29, 2007 12:35 am

I want to be Joan when I grow up.. but that means I don't have to start running until I'm 70, right? :lol: :lol:

All that and partying til 1.. Yup, my idol.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Joan Brown » Tue May 29, 2007 10:05 pm

Davie, it was really great meeting you and all the other folk from the Forum- it was an unforgettable weekend.
Bobbie- no, it means you should start right away, the sooner the better. I mean the running, not the partying,you're probably doing that already!!
Joan Brown
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby iceblue » Wed May 30, 2007 7:38 pm

Well done Joan on your personal best :D

You really are an inspiration and I hope I'm still running 10ks when I'm 75!

I don't know how you kept going until after 1am ... me, I was sound asleep in bed by then!
iceblue
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon and 10k Run