Running Club in Campbeltown?

Details and discussion on the Half Marathon and 10k race being held in Campbeltown on Sunday 29th May 2016 at 10.30am plus general discussion about running in Kintyre! Or visit their website at www.mokrun.com

Running Club in Campbeltown?

Postby Ship called Dignity » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:19 pm

Is there one?

Anyone thought about one?

I've heard there is one in Lochgilphead which is very popular.

Didn't some locals attend some kind of Council course recently about running???

I'm looking for some inspiration - 15days into the new year and still haven't ran a yard :shock: 8)
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Running Club / Jog Scotland

Postby Tarbert Mags » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:01 am

The running club in Lochgilphead is a Jog Scotland group and there is also one in Tarbert. Jog Scotland is a link up between Scottish Athletics and the local councils and there are a lot of groups being set up around the country. It's a great idea, with the emphasis being on fitness and the social aspects rather than being as competitive as a running club might be.

I am a Jog Leader in a North Lanarkshire group at Chryston, just outside Glasgow, and we've been going since 2003 but the Tarbert group, who I ran with last year, only started up around March 2005, so there are new groups being set up all the time.

Have a look on the website at www.jogscotland.org.uk for more info or email jogscotland@argyll-bute.gov.uk for more details.

You really just need some local people who are willing to commit to take the club and be jog leaders. They then have to do a one day Scottish Athletics training course. You would also need to arrange a suitable location with appropriate facilities for your group to meet before and after their runs. Your group could then, subject to having enough jog leaders, offer runs at beginner, intermediate and advanced levels - there are set programmes for each level. We have around 75 members across all levels at ours, and I think Lochgilphead got about this many on the first night alone.

Let me know if you want any further details on this.

Mags
Tarbert Mags
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Jog Scotland

Postby amron » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:34 pm

I noticed a poster today for Jog Scotland.
There is a meeting in the Community Centre on Sat 3rd February between 10am and 12.
Contact Fiona or Trudy can't remember the phone numbers

Does anybody have any more information.
amron
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Running Club / Jog Scotland

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:53 pm

Tarbert Mags wrote:The running club in Lochgilphead is a Jog Scotland group and there is also one in Tarbert. Jog Scotland is a link up between Scottish Athletics and the local councils and there are a lot of groups being set up around the country. It's a great idea, with the emphasis being on fitness and the social aspects rather than being as competitive as a running club might be.

I am a Jog Leader in a North Lanarkshire group at Chryston, just outside Glasgow, and we've been going since 2003 but the Tarbert group, who I ran with last year, only started up around March 2005, so there are new groups being set up all the time.

Have a look on the website at www.jogscotland.org.uk for more info or email jogscotland@argyll-bute.gov.uk for more details.

You really just need some local people who are willing to commit to take the club and be jog leaders. They then have to do a one day Scottish Athletics training course. You would also need to arrange a suitable location with appropriate facilities for your group to meet before and after their runs. Your group could then, subject to having enough jog leaders, offer runs at beginner, intermediate and advanced levels - there are set programmes for each level. We have around 75 members across all levels at ours, and I think Lochgilphead got about this many on the first night alone.

Let me know if you want any further details on this.

Mags

Thanks Mags for the message back - as Amron says there is a meeting this Saturday for Jog Scotland Campbeltown. Will try and encourage Fiona or Trudy to post on here any other information they have - tried phoning Fiona on Monday but not in (probably out running) but will try and get more news about this.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sport » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:30 pm

Sports Council would welcome any news on this and assist in anyway we can.

Best of luck!
Please visit the Sports Council's new website and check out our latest news! http://www.southkintyresportscouncil.com
Sport
Active Poster
Active Poster

jogscotlandcampbeltown

Postby fiona28 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:03 pm

hello the p

yes there is almost a jogging club in the wee toon. Trudy Kennedy and myself Fiona Irwin (better known as Fiona McLellan) had a pop in and register morning in the community centre. we did our jogleaders course on 25 november along with Joan Bissett . the three of us will be getting the club off the ground shortly.

we have around about 40 names and once we have ran all the tracks and risk assessed them we will recall all interested parties to get into action.

i have opened an e-mail account for this for any additionals to add their names to. This is - jogscotlandcampbeltown@hotmail.co.uk so come on the p you flunked it last year lets see you there with yer lycra shorts :wink:

hoping to be "up and running" - like it - by beginning of March giving folks a good stab at training for the local 10k or half marathon.

i wasnt out running on monday nite - i have started taking a keep fit class in the red cross hall on a monday and wednesday at 5.30 - so come along to that too!! coming soon - salsacize

will give you a shout sport if any help needed from the sports council - v. good of you to offer.
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:21 pm

Good for you Fiona, I would like to be involved in and help with any running club that emerges.

Did my regulat route round the hill here tonight in the beautiful, crisp, sharp night and can feel all the old enthusiasm coming back again.....will be addicted PDQ!!

Might sign up for the 10k right away.

Quite fancy the salsacize too :lol:
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sport » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:04 am

Is there any more news on the Jog Scotland Campbeltown Club?

Interestingly I read the following yesterday and was interested to know if there are any men in the club in the town?

Co-ordinator Ian Crawford says” Since we launched jogscotland in 2002 we have had over 650 members yet only 15 of those have been men.” This is a statistic that we would like to change.
Please visit the Sports Council's new website and check out our latest news! http://www.southkintyresportscouncil.com
Sport
Active Poster
Active Poster

male runners

Postby fiona28 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:26 pm

we currently have 6 men on our books for Jog-Scotland Campbeltown compared with about 30 women. All our Jogleaders are women so i dont know if this is what is causing the problem for you boys out there??

we are hitting the streets with the beginners group on weds 11 april and the intermediate on sat 14 april. we are almost at our quota of heads per leader so once a jog-leader course becomes available then we can grow and i already have a male volunteer in southend waiting to fill the shoes of the boys jog-leader. will keep you all posted.
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

male runners

Postby fiona28 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:28 pm

is my above message right 4th gen?? we've actually got quite a high number of men when you look at the figures so campbeltown is doing well.
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Paul Chuckle » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:33 pm

me and barry will be jog leaders.
Paul Chuckle
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby fiona28 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:35 pm

will hold you to that then :D
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Paul Chuckle » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:36 pm

so whens the first run?
Paul Chuckle
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby fiona28 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:37 pm

have you registered with jogscotland yet?? :oops:
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Jog Scotland

Postby Pans Lass » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:24 pm

What a great first day we had with Jog Scotland on Saturday morning thanks to Trudy and Fiona. The girls really encourage and motivate you along with their enthusiasm and knowledge. Great training tips from Donald too. Thanks girls for getting this off the ground!
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon and 10k Run